Pirate 4x4 banner

Gatekeeper work project

10K views 88 replies 39 participants last post by  Jeepndel 
#1 ·
We all know that the Gatekeeper as we remember it was blasted last fall. Nothing we can do to change that fact. Prior to the blasting the Gatekeeper area had a drainage issue. A work party was in the planning stage after the blasting to help remedy the drainage issues but was canceled following some heavy snowfall and lack of time to coordinate a delivery of rock from the Eldorado County DOT. The drainage issue at the Gatekeeper still needs to be addressed before this years wheeling season begins in earnest.

There is a Gatekeeper project being planned with a tentative date of June 3rd based on snow conditions. The final decision on a date for the project will be determined by the 20th to give a 2 week led time for those volunteers needing to schedule in advance. In the event that snow conditions are prohibitive to the work project it will be rescheduled to June 24 which is a regularly scheduled FOTR work weekend.

Current plans are to fill the right side of the first corner with large rocks.
Fill the area South of the Alligator Pit with large rocks.
Rebuild the log barriers and pungie sticks.
Make sure the water flows into the pit and across the trail.

Addressing the drainage issues is our number one priority. With enough time and able bodies blocking off the alternate route onto the slab that goes through the trees would be a bonus.

We have a commitment from the Eldorado County DOT for a supply of rock for the project. The delivery location of the rock hasn't been finalized yet but plans are to have it available in the vicinity of the spillway.

We need volunteers and tools for this project.

In addition if there is anybody with a trailer available to haul rock from the spillway area to the Gatekeeper your services are requested.

This project mandates the use of trailers to haul rock the short distance from the spillway. Without the trailers it's not going to be practical to accomplish this work project.

For additional information on how you can help with this project post up or send me an email at mickeymicrotus@yahoo.com.

Robert Lightfoot
Dixon, Ca

FOTR
BRC
Cal4wheel

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'm in and can bring some Help. Just because the county did some STUPID $hi*! Won't make me Quit trying to help keep the trail OPEN.
I also was not happy with what or the way they did things, But if we all stop trying then where are we.

#3 ·
The drainage issues at Gatekeeper were present before the blasting. What happend to the Gatekeeper and the wheeling communities stance has pretty much been beaten to death. I do not agree with the blasting that took place but what is done is done. I intend to move on.

The drainage issue at the Gatekeeper is still a concern and needs to be addressed. There are other areas of the trail that currently and will continue to need our help. Yet others I'm sure will develop that we may or may not have seen coming.

I'm not here to debate. I just want to do what I think is right for the trail despite what wrongs may have been committed. Drainage and errosion concerns are a threat to our use of the trail.

This project was attempted last year after the blasting but for various reasons as stated before it didn't take place. To help with this project or not is your choice and your reasoning. To me the trail comes first.

Robert Lightfoot
Dixon, Ca

#6 ·
I will not be able to help the first weekend. However I will be there the weekend of the 24th to help any way I can. I signed up on the FOTR page last night. This will be my first time helping on a work weekend. Do most folks helping at that end of the trail (gatekeeper area) camp at loon for the weekend or just come up for the day? Do we just meet at the Kiosk at a certain time?

#8 ·
Also, we have permission to move rock from the spillway to GK. Also from the area right AFTER the first dam at Loon.

This is an open call to pick up a rock and drop it in the corner on your way through.

Robert, right on for stepping up and taking this on. It is good to see some new enthusiasm on the organizational side of things. Keep it up!!

For those that want to be in on a ground survey before the project, I think one will happen before the project gets under way. It may be short notice so be forewarned. Stay tuned.

Scott

#12 ·
If we can prove this out as a concept, it would be great to make an ongoing program of this take-a-rock, drop-a-rock technique on certain parts of the trail. One rock at a time, we could build up areas like Gatekeeper or the base of Walker Hill that have grade issues.

The size of rock is less critical than the source of the rock -- and I think is self-limiting. The boulders that have historically been yanked into the trail are huge and untransportable. Something that can be packed in a rig is necessarily under a few hundred pounds.

Randii

#15 ·
I drove up and took a look at the Gatekeeper this morning in preperation for the work project.

Based on current snow conditions June 3rd is the set hard date for the project with a meeting time of 9am.

Arrangements have been made to gain a mechanical advantage but the call is still out for additional volunteers and trailers if available.

more info pending

Robert

#18 ·
Thanks to all who can help with this first project of 2006 and THANK YOU, Robert, for taking this on as lead hook. :)
It's volunteers like you that make FOTR what it is....SUCCESSFUL and world famous.

Del

#20 ·
Rock Tractor said:
I will be there with my little trailer to haul rocks.
I am still UBER pissed at the whole blowing up of Gate Keeper, but I've decided being pissed and "not helping" is worse then being pissed and "helping keep the trail open".
Sweeet:bounce2: :bounce:

#23 ·
I'm going to be there for sure and if needeed I can bring my jeep trailer to haul rocks. Just let me know
Jerry

#26 ·
I touched bases with Marlon aka NOTPRETTY. Physical limitations make moving rock tuff but he claims he can cook. He is stepping up and supplying

One barrel style grill/smoker (good size) and the charcaol to keep it going.
A limitied supply of ribs, sauce and potato salad for those showing up that actually get dirty and or supply support. (Anything beyond that is up to you)
A large ice chest for da meat n spuds and anything else that might fit.

If anyone has some or part of the following that they can bring or donate please speak up.

ez-up for some shade
couple of trash cans or expendable trail sacks
plates/utensiles/napkins
coolers for drinks and some drinks
Additional potluck style grub
Pett toilet system or similar.

I will have a couple ice chests full of half frozen waters and gatorades along with 2 water coolers.
I've already got 1 Pett toilet system. Depending on use another or some extra wagg bags might come in handy:D

If you can add to the list or want to bring something along post up or give Marlon an email at go2camp@comcast.net

Aside from food:

Last weekend the mosquitos were non existant. June 3rd is anybodys guess but the sun should be out. Sunscreen and a hat are a plus. Work clothes, gloves, Shovels, picks, prybars...you get the idea. The tools I have in my garage arn't going to be enough.

It's coming together:smokin:

Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.