Pirate 4x4 banner

Newb with a couple questions

1K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  68jeep 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Whats up? Im 18 and live in Citrus Heights, Cali. Im really interested in wheelin the con, but dont really have alot of experience in hardcore trails like that. I've been camping in the Sierra's since I was really young, so have done the usual trail runs around Gerle Creek, Meadow Lake, Ice House and all the surrounding campground areas.
I've read alot about it, and it sounds like a blast, and I know everyone up there are great people. My concern is holding people up. I've read alot of people complaining about it, and I dont want to be the one everyone is pissed at.
My questions....
1. What does my rig need to do somewhat okay? Current ride is a 73 Dodge W100, 318/727/205, 3/4 D44 and D60 axles with 4.10's and Posi's, along with Hummer 36" and the military beadlocks. Anything else I need? Ive been told a locker in the back would defenitely help.
2. Any other trails around that arent just an old logging trail that you can do 30 mph on? Something maybe, a little more rocky, but not quite as hard as the con is?
All in all, I am looking for advice, and gaining experience, but dont want to hold everyone else up. Im afraid, Ill go up there and be the one everyone is pissed at, which wouldnt be enjoyable for me, or anyone else up there.
All opinions/suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!
THANKS GUYS!
Kyle

See less See more
#2 ·
Frogot about listing the lift. Truck is lifted a total of 6". Using 4" springs in the front, with 2" longer hangers and shackles, and 6" springs in the rear, mounted in the stock location, with no shackle flip (yet). THanks again!

#4 ·
CCF said:
All in all, I am looking for advice, and gaining experience, but dont want to hold everyone else up. Im afraid, Ill go up there and be the one everyone is pissed at, which wouldnt be enjoyable for me, or anyone else up there.
All opinions/suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!
THANKS GUYS!
Kyle
Hi Kyle. Make sure your rig is mechanically sound, then gather up a couple well-prepared friends and head up during the middle of the week. Lots less traffic to deal with.

Sounds like you have lots of common sense, if you get to a point on the trail that gives you too much trouble, turn around and head back out the way you came in.

You can explore sections of the Rubicon without having to drive the entire trail, there are trailheads at Wentworth Springs, Loon Lake, Tahoma, and McKinstry, although I'm not sure about the current legal status of the latter.

Later,
....Mike
http://www.toy4x4.net/

#5 ·
Thanks guys. Mike, my next question was when is it the least busy? HAHa. Thanks again! I assume I should take my rig, along with someone elses, JUST IN CASE something bad goes wrong, and we gotta leave it up there for a night or whatnot? Or is that not gonna happen? haha...I feel like an idiot asking stupid questions like this...
thanks again!

#6 ·
go over to Street Tech in Orangevale, talk to Corey, (Owner/Tech), He runs a fullsize Dodge everywhere up there, and would be the best I can think of as far as being prepared vehicle wise. As far as going up, Don't go alone!, make sure someone knows the trail, and hey, relax and have fun! pm/email me if I can help, Im over in Orangevale

#7 ·
awauld said:
go over to Street Tech in Orangevale, talk to Corey, (Owner/Tech), He runs a fullsize Dodge everywhere up there, and would be the best I can think of as far as being prepared vehicle wise. As far as going up, Don't go alone!, make sure someone knows the trail, and hey, relax and have fun! pm/email me if I can help, Im over in Orangevale
Here is a pic of Corey's Dodge, don't worry about that rock under the passenger side rocker unforunately it's no longer there.

Attachments

#8 ·
CCF said:
Thanks guys. Mike, my next question was when is it the least busy? HAHa. Thanks again! I assume I should take my rig, along with someone elses, JUST IN CASE something bad goes wrong, and we gotta leave it up there for a night or whatnot? Or is that not gonna happen? haha...I feel like an idiot asking stupid questions like this...
thanks again!
Any time other than summer weekends won't be too busy. I would definitely avoid holiday weekends! Also check out the schedule for some of the big events when the trail is closed to the public.

I have a pretty well setup rig, and I don't wheel alone. No matter how prepared you are, weird things can break or go wrong, and it's nice to have friends near by to help.

I would never leave my rig on the Rubicon unattended. If I broke so badly that I could not fix it, I would camp with it until my friends came back with parts. I would like to think that all wheelers are considerate people, but the truth is there are people out there who will rape your disabled rig if you are not there to watch it.

Carry spare parts for things that frequently break. And bring the necessary tools to replace those parts.

Later,
....Mike
http://www.toy4x4.net/

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks so much guys! I have wanted to talk to Corey for sometime now, but could never find him on here anymore. I remember seeing his truck on here awhile back, and of course, when I came back to look for him, I couldnt find him. And of course...the search thing is gone so...I thought I was stuck. Does anyone know Corey's email address or screen name here on the boards?
Thanks,
Kyle
EDIT: Is it possible to just turn around and go back out the way you came in? Again...a stupid question, but Im hella worried about being in the way of others. Is there places to turn around? And on my way back out, I assume it is wide enough for other who are coming in to pass me right???

#10 ·
CCF said:
EDIT: Is it possible to just turn around and go back out the way you came in? Again...a stupid question, but Im hella worried about being in the way of others. Is there places to turn around? And on my way back out, I assume it is wide enough for other who are coming in to pass me right???
Yes, you can turn around, you may have to back up a little to find a wide spot. You can have a fun day just driving in to the Little Sluice Box and coming back out the Gatekeeper. You may want to wait until all the snow is gone for your first run, it'll be a lot easier.

#11 ·
Thanks numtel. You guys have all these names for the different areas, but I have no clue what your talking about. But...all in all...I am getting a better understanding of the trail, because for whatever reason, before, I thought it was all extremely hardcore, and once you started in, your going all the way through. So...theres less harsh parts of the rubicon that I could play around with until I am comfortable at going farther?
Kyle

#13 ·
Less harsh? for sure and one of them is gate keeper which is just over the hump there at the spillway of Loon lake.. Corey's photo above is the way gate keeper used to be but now the hardest part will be fitting your big rig through the tight tree section (please don't thrash them).

You have a heavy ride so make sure you wheel with a winch and/or have some buddy rigs capable of yanking out a larger rig. Make sure you have a good supply of recovery gear.

Carburated is ok, you just have to know the limits of your carb. I'm no mechanic but I know some carbs choke out when ur going up/down a steep hill and others choke out while getting sideways. As a beginner wheeler (think.. "don't go big") you shouldn't get into to many situations where your carb chokes.

Maybe look into a full-size 4x4 club to roll with?

For your refference I attached a trail map that has some of the section names on it.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
5150 Jeep said:
Here is a pic of Corey's Dodge, don't worry about that rock under the passenger side rocker unforunately it's no longer there.
Hey Kevin, should I post the pics of the next day? going back to replace the knuckle?

In all seriousness, Corey's fullsize Rocks!

Attachments

#16 ·
I think I remember that trip of Corey;s, if it wasnt to long ago. I remember him saying something about "Wasnt too bad, a few minor parts broke" sort of thing. OF COURSE YOU SHOULD POST PICTURES! HAHA I WANNA SEE!
As far as my truck goes, is there anything I need to change to make it more capable? Besides, swap the Posi out for a locker in the rear maybe?

#24 ·
full size dodge

hey corey my friends and I are going up june 2nd. thru the 5th. my friends does have a full size chevy it sits on 44's put your welcome to come along give us a call I'm mike @217-6220 or call Brian @716-8554 we both live in carmichael area and fair oaks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.