Pirate 4x4 banner

Tahoe side snowed in!

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DaveWFO 
#1 ·
On Saturday I lead a few guys on a water bar repair project on the Tahoe side. The snow conditions were unreal! The lakes were still iced over.

I was riding in a Rubicon Unlimited w/ a 4.5 inch lift and 33" tires. We had to air down and lock up before we got to the staging area!

There were five rigs in our group and we figured we wouldn't be working on water bars due to the snow. There was three feet of snow around the shaded areas of the staging area. It was down to dirt in the sun.

On the sections of the trail that get good sun, we were able to repair 4-5 water bars and drained another 4-5 water pools on the trail. I felt really good that we were able to make a difference before Memorial Weekend.

The cement water bar (#8) was flowing about two feet deep. On the way out it had come up 8 or more inches. That's four inches above the top of the poured cement.

You needed lockers front and rear. We had one snow bridge collapse on us but the driver was able to make it out without incident. We moved a tree out of the trail but there are more trees down that need to be dealt with.

We only went a mile or so out of the staging area when the conditions got unbelieveable. There was a constant 4-6 feet of snow on the trail. It's going to be a long wet spring. There will be snow drifts on the trail until after Fourth of July.

The big thing is to TREAD LIGHTLY. Take a strap or winch so you don't spin your tires all day. Stay on the trail. Go slow through any water on the trail.

See less See more
#2 ·
BTT, the trail was still covered in snow, I'd hate for things to get out of countrol for Memorial Day, try and stay off if you can, it took us all day to get from the staging area to Miller Lake before we had to turn back. Please try to go somewhere else for memorial day!

#4 ·
Keep in mind our main objective was to try and divert as much water as possible off of the trail and remove fallen tree's and such. We weren't on a "wheeling trip" or so to say. With a few people on the trail we got by, I could only imagine that with a ton of people up there things would get out of hand.

#5 ·
stinger7401 said:
Keep in mind our main objective was to try and divert as much water as possible off of the trail and remove fallen tree's and such. We weren't on a "wheeling trip" or so to say.
Thanks much for taking time to go work on the trail. MUCH APPRECIATED! :grinpimp:

Randii

#8 ·
Anyone make it from the tahoe side to the springs yet ?

Rubithon is in a few weeks and wondering how much snow is going to be there.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.