Pirate 4x4 banner

Tahoe side deep water hole - gone!

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  moveaside 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

On Saturday June 10th, the Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's did a conservation run on the
Rubicon. The goal was to drain out half the water from the really deep water hole just west of Potato Patch and Bottom Dollar Hole.

We were successful. It took us three hours to get there because we drained
water and removed trees from the trail on the way in. No, of course the miles of deep snow didn't slow us down.

After taking lunch to discuss the plan of attack the nine of us in attendance
went to work. We removed a section of fallen tree and dug a trench following the low path indicated by some traces of water.

A twenty foot long trench (or more) later and the water started flowing. The trench at the water started at a foot and a half deep and tapered off to six inches deep. It probably ended up being two feet deep when we left. The trench ended in a very large well established set of bushes. We couldn't have asked for a better natural filter for the flowing water.

When we left the water had drained 18 inches. I would guess that the water will drain out another six or more inches. What was once was a "scary deep" water hole is now a "what's the big deal" water hole.

Both the Forest Service and Placer County were consulted before starting this project. We have had an excellent working relationship with both and I intend on keeping it that way.

There is still a tremendous amount of snow on the trail. I would ask that you
delay and planned trips or travel the trail under the strictest interpretation
of treading lightly. These are the condition that got the trail closed a few
years ago.

Make dust not mud.

Doug Barr
1st VP - Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
Placer County Rep - Friends of the Rubicon

See less See more
#4 ·
Awesome work -- GREAT job, Hi-Lo's! Thanks for pitching in, Doug, and updating, as well!

I know that some local Tahoe Cruiser-heads were up this weekend, as well, working timber-removal duty.

Great work, all! Thanks, too!

Randii

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.