Pirate 4x4 banner

any idiots this weekend?

16K views 154 replies 61 participants last post by  Mariodesmo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
any idiots last weekend

just curious if anyone saw anything last weekend on the trail that angered them (diggin ruts, f-ing up the trail) or anything positive as well.

just bored right now.

I tried to edit your language to get it in synch with this PG-13 forum, hasn't taken yet -- randii

#3 · (Edited)
This weekend was great as far as traffic goes, maybe counted 15-20 rigs all weekend. But my wife agrees with me when i say that the rubicon springs is kinda trashed. we were camped in the campsite directly across from the rope swing and there was broken glass and trash all over our camp site. actually it was like that all over the upper part of the springs. we spent more than our fair share of time picking up after people. it's hard to believe how people could treat such an area like this.

#4 · (Edited)
Get over it, man. I'm not particularly happy about the way it went down, but it is done.

IMUZ ME said:
I have never seen so many people on the trail that had no business being there. As jiMMy stated, sprung under open open jeeps with small tires, there was a group of toyota guys running j-arm steering and the stock pinky tie-rod (that turned into a rainbow of corse)..
Like it or not, the Rubicon gets more use, and every year we see newbies... I haven't seen more this year, IMHO. Not all of them will have lockers or high-steer, and I remember when many of us better-equipped folks had lesser equipment.

All I can suggest is trying to remember what it used to be like back before all the gear, and being prepared to assist other 'wheelers off the trail to allow traffic to flow. IMHO, that's just about the first thing to do in a breakdown, in any case -- secure the vehicle and occupants for safety, THEN GET THEM OFF THE TRAIL, and lastly fix the break.

Randii

#5 ·
randii said:
All I can suggest is trying to remember what it used to be like back before all the gear, and being prepared to assist other 'wheelers off the trail to allow traffic to flow. IMHO, that's just about the first thing to do in a breakdown, in any case -- secure the vehicle and occupants for safety, THEN GET THEM OFF THE TRAIL, and lastly fix the break.

Randii
Nicely put Randii. Now when I run across that situation I try to think of it as an opportunity to help educate some lesser experienced wheelers. Just my .02.

#6 · (Edited)
Hey Arc I dont think I saw you this weekend unless I saw you coming out by loon when we were going in. But the trail was awesome this weekend. Not too much traffic. Only had to let people go by a few times that were comin the opposite way. I do have a question tho about the names of one of the obstacles. Going from loon to wentworth springs after you go in the bowl and make your way to the top and back onto the trail toward the springs. Theres this really hairy down hill obstacle with a thick upsloped granite slab to your left and a sluice style rock pile to navigate down. I will post a pic for you when I get the chance. Just wondering if anyone knew what it was off hand. It was definitly the hardest obstacle from loon to wentworth.

#7 · (Edited)
OakieOffroad85 said:
Hey Arc I dont think I saw you this weekend unless I saw you coming out by loon when we were going in. But the trail was awesome this weekend. Not too much traffic. Only had to let people go by a few times that were comin the opposite way. I do have a question tho about the names of one of the obstacles. Going from loon to wentworth springs after you go in the bowl and make your way to the top and back onto the trail toward the springs. Theres this really hairy down hill obstacle with a thick upsloped granite slab to your left and a sluice style rock pile to navigate down. I will post a pic for you when I get the chance. Just wondering if anyone knew what it was off hand. It was definitly the hardest obstacle from loon to wentworth.
we camped in rubicon springs all weekend-so we probably never came near each other. as far as names of places on the trail goes, i'm still trying to learn them.
I'm pretty sure i know where you are describing, but no clue what the name is

#8 · (Edited)
I used my moderator mojo to tweak the language in the first post, and then zapped it again to combine a thread Jeremy started and closed (I think because it was in better synch with this one). I've knotted them all together into this thread, with essentially the same discussion, so sorry if it gets a bit twitchy with order-of-posting.

I miss the mid-90's when there was far less traffic up there... and from talking to the folks with more gray hair, there was even less traffic earlier than that. Today's traffic can be frustrating in either of those contexts, but the other alternatives are permits and closures. :(

Randii

#9 ·
IMUZ ME said:
Went in for a day run on Saturday. I have never seen so many people on the trail that had no business being there. As jiMMy stated, sprung under open open jeeps with small tires, there was a group of toyota guys running j-arm steering and the stock pinky tie-rod (that turned into a rainbow of corse).. Then the "as usual" part was they were all standing around "petting &*@$ with the chickens". It appeared that nobody had spare parts or a clue what do to. So the attitude was: lets just drink some more beer and #$%#$% hold up traffic....
They should have never blown up those rocks.. At least if they were still there, those knuckle heads may have broken earlier and not been in everyones way... :shaking:
I had to edit your language to get it in synch with this PG-13 forum -- randii
I can't let this go by anymore. Here's the deal. If anyone, and I mean anyone suggests that a type of 4 wheeler is not to be allowed on the Rubicon in any form, you are no better than the left leaning enviros we all disagree with. They want to keep someone or a group of someones off public land. It is nothing but exclusionism. Self centered righteousism.

Everyone has a right to take their 4 wheel drive vehicle and tackle the famous Rubicon Trail. So not letting them go because of the rig they drive is the same to me.

Meaning, if I decide to go "back to basics" and buy a new Rubicon TJ or old Toyota truck, I have every right to use the trail with my many years of seat time. Who is to tell me I can't??

Scott

rant off

ps continued swearing in here will only get you banned. keep it clean. If you don't know what that is look up DRM here and ask him.

#10 · (Edited)
randii said:
I miss the mid-90's when there was far less traffic up there...
IMUZ ME said:
I have never seen so many people on the trail that had no business being there. As jiMMy stated, sprung under open open jeeps with small tires
I miss the 90’s too, where my CJ with small tires could easily run the whole trail and I was cheered for when I tried the box. I guess I have no business being on the trail.

I’m sorry that the trail has been knocked back a couple of tires sizes too, now people won’t give me a thumbs up when I make the gate keeper look easy.

I sure there was more to this story regarding blocking the trail, drinking, etc., but the whole “little guy should stay home” thing really burns my biscuit.

Yes, I have ditched my 32’s this winter in favor of 35’s, but it bums me out that it was becoming necessary to save my under-carriage.
Sorry for the off topic rant. I can’t wait to get up to the trail soon.

#11 ·
ridin44s said:
just curious if anyone saw anything last weekend on the trail that angered them (diggin ruts, messing up the trail) or anything positive as well.

just bored right now.

I tried to edit your language to get it in synch with this PG-13 forum, hasn't taken yet -- randii
I almost deleted this thread because I though it a little silly that a bored person would try to incite debate or argument over nothing in particular. but then I thought hey that is rather Pirate................so I let it go.

Language is the only issue.

#12 ·
MellowYellow said:
I guess I have no business being on the trail.
Hogwash.

Big rigs bitching about the little rigs is just as silly as the little guys claiming that the big tires always tear up the trail -- the truth is ALWAYS that it comes down to the guy behind the wheel.

I understand that most folks probably like their own build better (why else would they have built it?), but we need to be able to welcome anyone with low range, a willingness to learn, and good enough trail etiquette to allow other traffic to pass if there's a slow-down... tire-size or steering type notwithstanding.

Randii (remembers jiMMy's little blue cruiser before it had ARBs in the stock axles)

#13 · (Edited)
cruzila said:
I can't let this go by anymore. Here's the deal. If anyone, and I mean anyone suggests that a type of 4 wheeler is not to be allowed on the Rubicon in any form, you are no better than the left leaning enviros we all disagree with. They want to keep someone or a group of someones off public land. It is nothing but exclusionism. Self centered righteousism.

Everyone has a right to take their 4 wheel drive vehicle and tackle the famous Rubicon Trail. So not letting them go because of the rig they drive is the same to me.

Meaning, if I decide to go "back to basics" and buy a new Rubicon TJ or old Toyota truck, I have every right to use the trail with my many years of seat time. Who is to tell me I can't??

Scott

rant off

ps continued swearing in here will only get you banned. keep it clean. If you don't know what that is look up DRM here and ask him.
I was in NO WAY saying that people do not have a right to go to a public trail. I whole heartedly support it!! I guess I should have made my point more clear: Yes at one time we were all in those shoes, but. In any case each driver owner should make every effort to be properly prepared, or atleast when that happens envoke all energy and effort to move their rig, enlist help of others to move the rig, (instead of standing around "petting poo with the chickens",,,,, maybe they will make a few new friends rather than holding up traffic and having people mad at them. Lord knows I am privledged to know all the guys/gals I do on the trail from traffic jams caused by "sillyvillians" that are broken.

And Yes I closed the other thread and moved my post over because it was more in line here.

Just my .02.... I think everyone should be able to experiance the trail, but come awn, be prepered.... Know what your getting into at the least, and when your stuck or broken, be proactive and don't expect others to save you all the time.

so: #&*# #&% :flipoff2:

#14 ·
randii said:
Hogwash.

Big rigs bitching about the little rigs is just as silly as the little guys claiming that the big tires always tear up the trail -- the truth is ALWAYS that it comes down to the guy behind the wheel.

I understand that most folks probably like their own build better (why else would they have built it?), but we need to be able to welcome anyone with low range, a willingness to learn, and good enough trail etiquette to allow other traffic to pass if there's a slow-down... tire-size or steering type notwithstanding.

Randii (remembers jiMMy's little blue cruiser before it had ARBs in the stock axles)
heheheheh. it always had arbs in there. no power steering through and sprung under. i think what was trying to be brought up or convayed was that there is a time and place for everything. it also goes both ways.

EX: I will never just jump in and start trying to help unless it HAS to be said. I would not want some guy blabbing to me on which way to go unless i openly asked for help or ideas.

I was just more crabby that i had to sit there and wait. who wouldnt? but what ever, got to see some stockers and old timers out with the wives enjoying a nice saturday now that i think back on the day. did i want to get home earlyer? YES I DID. did i? nope.

#15 ·
IMUZ ME said:
I was in NO WAY saying that people do not have a right to go to a public trail. I whole heartedly support it!! I guess I should have made my point more clear: Yes at one time we were all in those shoes, but. In any case each driver owner should make every effort to be properly prepared, or atleast when that happens envoke all energy and effort to move their rig, enlist help of others to move the rig, (instead of standing around "petting poo with the chickens",,,,, maybe they will make a few new friends rather than holding up traffic and having people mad at them. Lord knows I am privledged to know all the guys/gals I do on the trail from traffic jams caused by "sillyvillians" that are broken.

And Yes I closed the other thread and moved my post over because it was more in line here.

Just my .02.... I think everyone should be able to experiance the trail, but come awn, be prepered.... Know what your getting into at the least, and when your stuck or broken, be proactive and don't expect others to save you all the time.

so: #&*# #&% :flipoff2:

Now why didn't ya say that in the first place? Heck that sounds like somthin' I'd have written right there. That's the deal, help a guy out if he's in over his head or broke. We are all in this together, like it or not the Feds call ALL of us wheeled vehicles by definition. So we all win or lose together.

Now how about a nice group hug:barf:

Moral of the story: Be prepared.

#16 ·
randii said:
..... and good enough trail etiquette .....
Easier said than done as this has roots well beyond being on the trail. So many people can care less about their actions day to day much less on the trail.

I was in a parking lot this week and watched a kid (probably 10 or so) walking with his mom to the car. He was opening a candy bar and throwing the wrapper on the ground. I mentioned that he droped something and might want to toss it in the garbage and all I got in response was a verbal barage from his mom. Trash raising trash to throw trash.:shaking:

This goes on all around us each and every day. No consequences and no cares. These are also the people that include the ones that some day just might be on the trail. Holding up the trail by being ignorant, driving off the trail/resource damage, litter/vehicle/human waste, unattended campfires, crank the stereo as they drive by a camp at 1am ect ect.

Some of it we can regulate ourselves and usually with success but at times it sure seems like we are outnumbered.

#17 · (Edited)
in my original post i said f-ing not the real word so therefore i did not cuss. i also started this thread to hear from those that had been up and whether or not i should be prepared to sit around for awhile or just get in and get out. this whole forum thing is getting pretty political if you ask me.

flame on

#19 ·
ridin44s said:
just curious if anyone saw anything last weekend on the trail that angered them (diggin ruts, f-ing up the trail) or anything positive as well.

just bored right now.
[/i]
kk the weekend before last ( 6/10)

negative:

Dirtbikes and quads drivingoff trail. Talked to one that actually stoped. He stated he recieved a $125 ticket for riding without a helmet earlier. Talked with him about what is going on with the trail, LE, resource damage ect at which point he turned around and drove off the trail again.

Rigs in too big of a hurry going through GK. Drove off the trail around another rig because they didn't want to wait (the slower rig wasn't stuck) :shaking:

Multiple eople driving past a camp at 0'dark 30 at night and gunning it "cuz their cool?" Funny thing is you can hear them coming down the trail and their mellow until they get by a camp.

Never saw a single USFS or LEO

Positive:

Very few people on the trail.

Didn't see that much garbage on the trail though did pick up quite a bit at Ellis.

Didn't hear the midnight gunfire of years past over and over and over

Never saw a single USFS or LEO

#20 ·
Just a comment on the people on the trail that weren't prepared. If any of you old timers remember Uncle Tex....

In his words. "It's all part of growing up"

Sometimes, you just have to get out there and realize...Hey...I am NOT prepared in order to "get it".

And as we all know....you can't take everything. Which is why we stick together. As long as the person I meet who needs help is thankful, respectful...offers a cool beverage or whatever in return...the hope is someday, someone else will pay it back to me.

To me....It's not so much about how many pounds of spare parts they brought....but their attitude.

#21 ·
I just got home 30 minutes ago, and I must say I had a great time. The trail traffic was light (from my experiance, 3 trips)
There were some broken rigs that were blocking the trail, but we either turned around or got out to offer a hand and met some new people. :D

This was my first trip up there since the spider lake closure, and that really got to me. I know it's been talked about alot already but it didn't really hit home till I got there and realized that it was really closed.:(

I picked up a few cans here and there but I didn't see any toilet paper anywhere:cool2: which was alot different from the last time I went up there.

For the people that were there, I had the buggy with the purple flames.

#22 ·
microtus said:
I was in a parking lot this week and watched a kid (probably 10 or so) walking with his mom to the car. He was opening a candy bar and throwing the wrapper on the ground. I mentioned that he droped something and might want to toss it in the garbage and all I got in response was a verbal barage from his mom. Trash raising trash to throw trash.:shaking:

thumbs up for doing this.

Isn't there a way to turn these people in so they think twice next time before throwing trash on our trail?

#23 ·
I've ALWAYS had a good time on the CON, traffic or not.
Every trip I have met new people that were cool.
Yes alot of people go unprepaired but I doubt they know it. My first time, I turned tail at GK(early 90's), I went home did a SOA and threw on 32's then came back, ran the trail and didnt have a clue what I was in for:laughing: I remember being at the top of walker asking an old timer "hey, does it get any worse farther up?" He laughed at me in his cj5 on 33" AT's. I still laugh:flipoff2:
I have broke and been stuck many times over the years and because of it, I have met some of the coolest people in the world. I am proud to return the favor.
I will always help someone and enjoy meeting people on the trail.

THAT BEING SAID:
In recent years I have seen some real A-holes, just like in the city, they dont pull over for faster traffic, they play thier music too loud, litter and plain just dont care about anyone but themselves:mad3:

#24 ·
Tim Florian said:
I just got home 30 minutes ago, and I must say I had a great time. The trail traffic was light (from my experiance, 3 trips)
There were some broken rigs that were blocking the trail, but we either turned around or got out to offer a hand and met some new people. :D

This was my first trip up there since the spider lake closure, and that really got to me. I know it's been talked about alot already but it didn't really hit home till I got there and realized that it was really closed.:(

I picked up a few cans here and there but I didn't see any toilet paper anywhere:cool2: which was alot different from the last time I went up there.

For the people that were there, I had the buggy with the purple flames.
Was that the silver buggy purple flames krawler tires, rollin with the youngster in the front seat?

#25 ·
The tubing is blue the panels are white with purple flames, and yes my 9 year old drove from the wentworth/loon juction all the way to the box:grinpimp: Including doing the soap bowl obsticale with an open front end.

#26 ·
Tim Florian said:
The tubing is blue the panels are white with purple flames, and yes my 9 year old drove from the wentworth/loon juction all the way to the box:grinpimp: Including doing the soap bowl obsticale with an open front end.
Yeh I'm pretty sure we ran into you going toward wentworth from loon lake. You were heading toward the bowl. I was in the yota and my friends dad was in the brown jeep along with my friend in the chev.

Heres a pic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.