Pirate 4x4 banner

Please Read: Rubicon Trail Patrol Information

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  atvobsession 
#1 ·
It's been awhile since many of you have heard any updates on this subject, so I wanted to post a message to all. I've had many people email and ask what's going on. The saddest message I received was "What happened to the Patrol...is it another good idea that just disappeared?". The answer is NO! Scott Emmons and I have been working, literally EVERYDAY trying to get the Patrol back up to speed. So you will see progress, but as you suspect, we are behind for this season....but we're trying!!

Scott and I both work in the technology industry. My qualifications are that I am a consultant for Oracle. I spent 7 years as a manager at SFO with tons of employees sorting and loading airplanes for an overnight shipper. NOTHING phases me anymore after that. The past 10 years, I've been an IT manager for a large Enterprise application and now a consultant implementing them. I knew that I could help get this organized with the least amount of bureaucracy as possible!

As many of you know, last year, was the first year of the Patrol. I was on many of trips up and down on my ATV talking to the various people I ran into along the way. Just that one summer, it became evident to me that the Trail Patrol can do a lot of good toward the overall goals for the trail. MOST of the people I talked to had never heard of Pirate4x4, PETT systems, and some didn't even have internet. I know, it sounds strange to many of us, but it's true. A lot of people, just haven't gotten the word. So we have work to do!!

That's where the Trail Patrol fits in. We put bodies on the trail, boots and tires to dirt. Last year, Big Rich stepped in and got the ball rolling, but he's been very busy. So Scott Emmons and myself began just one month ago to truly organize the Rubicon Trail Patrol. Scott and I both had the same vision and goals for the group. One thing was clear in our first discussions, was that the Trail Patrol needed to be organized, defined and with a clear mission as to why we exist.

The first step was to organize. Scott created a very small organization chart to explain our organization.

Rubicon Trail Patrol Directors: Scott and I will simply be the point of contact for all the agencies and organizations, so that we present a consistent communications point. On the trail...we're just normal Trail Patrol Reps.

Trail Patrol Captains: Captains will be simply be a lead point contact on the trail. They will also assist in making sure we have exposure. Our ultimate goal, is that Captains will have radio contact out, and have the ability to contact Search and Rescue.

Trail Patrol Representatives: The majority of the patrol who will help with our mission. We hope to by next season have a means for Reps to contact Captains on the trail.

Once we had the organization down, we needed a consistent mission. I sat down and started writing that vision and the goals to accomplish that vision. Scott and I tweaked it and then working with Del, Randy and RTF/FOTR got it where we were ready to present it to the public.

Rubicon Trail Patrol Mission Statement​

Rubicon Trail Patrol is an organized group of concerned trail users sanctioned by the Rubicon Trail Foundation (RTF) and Friends Of The Rubicon (FOTR) and recognized by the United States Forest Service (USFS) and El Dorado County Sheriff (EDSO). While Trail Patrol works with local enforcement groups, Trail Patrol is an educational, not an enforcement organization. Trail Patrol members are regular trail users who volunteer their time in order maintain OHV access for all users of the Rubicon Trail.

Trail Patrol CORE Goals

Communicate: Trail Patrol Directors will work with the Sheriff, USFS, FOTR and the RTF to prioritize the goals of the Rubicon Trail and Trail Patrol Representatives will communicate this information to the trail users on the Rubicon trail.

Organize: Through our organizational structure, we will strive to maintain exposure on the trail with visible Trail Patrol Representatives and Captains on the Rubicon Trail.

Report: Trail Patrol Representatives and Trail Patrol Captains will report back to the Trail Patrol Directors any important issues observed while on patrol. Trail Directors will report back to the appropriate agency any important issues.

Educate: Trail Patrol members will maintain a presence on the trail talking directly to the trail users about issues facing the trail, passing out any additional information or simply reminding everyone to have fun, Tread Lightly, and Pack it in, Pack it out.

I hope that is clear to all. In the coming weeks, we're going to try to find all the people who signed up last year. Scott and I do NOT know who everyone is out there. We WILL have a website especially for the Trail Patrol. We have a domain and a forum, but it's just not quite setup yet. Once it is, we'll let everyone know how to get there, and how to contact us.

Once we have our current members counted and defined...we'll most likely be looking for new folks interested. So PLEASE!!! Read the mission statement, and if that sounds like how you'd like to help the trail, then keep us in mind.

2006 will be a little rough around the edges, but it will be an important step toward the future.

Thanks...from Scott and myself.

See less See more
#7 ·
mtnbronco said:
So does the trail patrol still have the support of the private property owners in the area?
To the point that one of them is offering to train trail patrol?!?!? I'd say yes, but other than AJC property owners, I have only spoken with two property owners in the last 12 days.

Randii

#9 ·
As part of this effort, do you anticipate printing up some flyers for the patrol to hand out to trail users as a written reminder of trail rules and etiquette? If so, it would be great to have the same sheet available for download and printing for concerned users to hand out when we witness egregious acts.

#10 ·
afecko said:
As part of this effort, do you anticipate printing up some flyers for the patrol to hand out to trail users as a written reminder of trail rules and etiquette?
Currently we are encouraging folks to hand out FOTR brochures, as a number of us have already been doing. I'm also working on getting brochures from some of the other organizations.

A seperate Rubicon and Trail Patrol specific flyer has been discussed, but for now the FOTR brochures work nicely, especially since the PDF source is available and people can print them up on their own.

As Ken mentioned, we'll keep you posted as things keep rolling forward!

-ScottE

#11 ·
scotte said:
Currently we are encouraging folks to hand out FOTR brochures, as a number of us have already been doing. I'm also working on getting brochures from some of the other organizations.

A seperate Rubicon and Trail Patrol specific flyer has been discussed, but for now the FOTR brochures work nicely, especially since the PDF source is available and people can print them up on their own.

As Ken mentioned, we'll keep you posted as things keep rolling forward!

-ScottE
What a tease! Give up the link on this PDF and I'll print up a bunch for my club to hand out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.