Pirate 4x4 banner

Warning - mountain lion sighting

3K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  nolan 
#1 ·
Warning to all campers on the con. mem. day weekend the Dixon 4 wheelers went on a run doing the mckenstry bypass run heading towards Ellis Creek when we got about a 1/4 mile from ellis we notice cat tracks, a middle size track he/she just was roaming around when we got about 200 yards from campers the cat was just walking around probably lookin for food. The tracks where about 3 to 4 hours old. Last Tuesday my boss was on the con for Rubithon and broke down at ellis he was meeting some freinds there. When they didnt show up he started to hike to the box, at walker hill about half way up he heard the purr of a cat then the unmistakable grawl of a cat somewhere very close to him. He was able to back down the hill. Never seeing the cat ( probley just resting in the shade) So a cat is hanging around that area. Just dont let your kids or pets hike around without a grown up. This has a chance to turn very ugly up there. I dont want people to shoot at moving bushes but something has to be said. Sorry for the spelling and not writing this right I am just a wheeler wanting to get the word out.

#2 ·
thanks for the warning. but i would feel bad for whoever shoots this cat. probably be sued by sierra club on behalf of the mountain lions family. seriously, what can be done according to law up there? can someone shoot it? or does it take snatching someones kid before the problam is taken care of?

#3 ·
rockinfive+2 said:
Warning to all campers on the con. mem. day weekend the Dixon 4 wheelers went on a run doing the mckenstry bypass run heading towards Ellis Creek when we got about a 1/4 mile from ellis we notice cat tracks, a middle size track he/she just was roaming around when we got about 200 yards from campers the cat was just walking around probably lookin for food. The tracks where about 3 to 4 hours old. Last Tuesday my boss was on the con for Rubithon and broke down at ellis he was meeting some freinds there. When they didnt show up he started to hike to the box, at walker hill about half way up he heard the purr of a cat then the unmistakable grawl of a cat somewhere very close to him. He was able to back down the hill. Never seeing the cat ( probley just resting in the shade) So a cat is hanging around that area. Just dont let your kids or pets hike around without a grown up. This has a chance to turn very ugly up there. I dont want people to shoot at moving bushes but something has to be said. Sorry for the spelling and not writing this right I am just a wheeler wanting to get the word out.
Thanks for the warning. Information like this is the most important in my book, it deals directly with safety and keeping something bad from happening. Did you contact any of the different agencies involved with the Con? You may also want to shoot Del and email about this. This is also something the Patrol needs to know about and keep an eye out for. I'm heading in on Friday about noon time, does someone want some warning signs posted at the Dam and at the Ellis camping area? Just wondering if there is something I can do to help?

#4 · (Edited)
Generally cats avoid human contact. Unless cornered or put in a situation, you will never see them. I took this photo at the top of Walker in early May. I was snoeshoeing and on my return noticed fresh tracks over mine.

Attachments

#5 ·
I also took this one of what looks like bear cub tracks. So there is a possibility of that too. This one is to the South of the trail, between Walker and Little Sluice. Same time frame. Early May.

Attachments

#6 ·
The area has always had cougars running around. Just use your common sense about wildlife. Dont corner one, Dont try to feed one, and watch your kids and pets so they dont appear like a snack to one. There has been cougar sightings in the lower elevations too. I have one that passes my place every so often. You can not shoot one without a special permit from fish and game. They are protected by the law! (California voters made this law).

#7 ·
cruzila said:
Generally cats avoid human contact. Unless cornered or put in a situation, you will never see them. I took this photo at the top of Walker in early May. I was snoeshoeing and on my return noticed fresh tracks over mine.
Can't really tell the size of those prints from the picture, but they kinda look too small for lion tracks. I had the same thing happen to me once where we back tracked and found that something had been stocking us. Later I discovered that the animals have learned to follow the hunters. After the hunters make their kill and dress their prey, the left overs make an easy meal for hungry cats.

#8 ·
The Rubithoners spotted a mamma bear and cubs on miller lake rd. when leaving springs on sunday. Pics in the rubithon thread in cruiser section.
Imagine that , cats and bears deep in the sierras , go figure. I for one worry more when they are not seen. Threatening and comforting at same time.

#9 ·
They won't bother you. Unless they are hungry. JK. Like cruzila said they will avoid you at all costs. I have seen them several times in the past fiew years. Anywhere from the grade on ice house rd. to tahoe. I worry more about my ice chest with the bears.

#12 ·
I've been charged by bears, had my vehicle and camp raided by bears, had bears follow me on a trail at night ect ect. At least 300 bears inside of 100 yards over a 4 year period. I've seen a handfull of mtn lions and one survivalist. I'd rather not see the survivalist again but the rest are just bonuses to a trip to the outdoors.

All things aside it's still good information. I was camped at Ellis a few weeks ago and my kids played all over. Being attenative to your surroundings for trouble is one thing that most kids don't posess while out in the woods.

Thanks for the heads up Ken

Robert

#13 ·
I'm the one who was hiking up walker this weekend and heard the cat. I think I just stumbled along the same place he/she decided to take it's afternoon nap. I don't think that anyone wants to shoot this cat but if its him or me? Like most of you hear i've been wheeling this trail for years and I too have seen cats and bears up there. The concern here is the close proximity the ellis campground and how comfortable this cat seems to be getting to being there. DON'T go up there looking to kill this cat but, if your not already, be aware of your surroundings and respect where you are. The season is early for this many sightings and i'd hate to see the worst happen

N.

#14 ·
General Sherman said:
I'm the one who was hiking up walker this weekend and heard the cat. I think I just stumbled along the same place he/she decided to take it's afternoon nap. I don't think that anyone wants to shoot this cat but if its him or me? Like most of you hear i've been wheeling this trail for years and I too have seen cats and bears up there. The concern here is the close proximity the ellis campground and how comfortable this cat seems to be getting to being there. DON'T go up there looking to kill this cat but, if your not already, be aware of your surroundings and respect where you are. The season is early for this many sightings and i'd hate to see the worst happen

N.

well said....

i never want to shoot anything, only if its a matter of my life or theirs. And anyone going camping or into the wilderness anywhere should always expect to come across some type of big game. i always assume something is stalking me and i try to stay aware of my surroundings as much as possible. ive been 20 yards from a black bear and never even thought about pulling my pistol. they dont want you, just be prepared just in case they are having a bad day.

#15 ·
well if more people start seeing this cat hopefully the forest service or park ranger will relocate it before someone shoots it.

#18 ·
Very Interesting

I live on an Island so the biggest cat here probably belongs to my neighbor. I not into shooting animals unless you're going to eat them, but seeing as how a big cat would eat me , I would make an exception. Ha If I owned something to shoot him with!
Seriously, what are the legal ramifications of packing iron on the Con? Also, seeing as how the cat is "protected", what is the "official " thing to do if you are attacked? Say "Wait a minute Kitty, let me find you a liberal to eat." ?

I'm coming down from Wa. at the end of the month to run the trail and appreciate the info. Part of me thinks it would be cool to see a big cat in the wild , and the other part is not an adrenaline junky and not sure I want that kind of rush!! Particularly if the cat is coming at me quickly!!!

#19 ·
bare 1 said:
I live on an Island so the biggest cat here probably belongs to my neighbor. I not into shooting animals unless you're going to eat them, but seeing as how a big cat would eat me , I would make an exception. Ha If I owned something to shoot him with!
Seriously, what are the legal ramifications of packing iron on the Con? Also, seeing as how the cat is "protected", what is the "official " thing to do if you are attacked? Say "Wait a minute Kitty, let me find you a liberal to eat." ?

I'm coming down from Wa. at the end of the month to run the trail and appreciate the info. Part of me thinks it would be cool to see a big cat in the wild , and the other part is not an adrenaline junky and not sure I want that kind of rush!! Particularly if the cat is coming at me quickly!!!
So far as I know, there is no law against carrying a non-concealed firearm on the Rubicon. As far as mountain lions are concerned, I've only encountered 2 in 30+ years of wheeling the 'Con. We weren't threatened in any way so us and the lion went our separate ways. Here is the law regarding the killing of lions. That said, you are probably more likely to get struck by lightning than eaten by a mountain lion.

One last note . . . CalDFG does not relocate mountain lions that are perceived to be a threat. They are killed.

Citation: California Fish & Game Code § 4800

Summary:

California statutes make mountain lions specially protected mammals. These sections make it unlawful to take, injure, possess, transport, import, or sell any mountain lion or any part or product thereof. Specific exceptions to these prohibitions include instances where a mountain lion is perceived to be an imminent threat to public health or safety or when it is perceived by to be an imminent threat to the survival of any threatened, endangered, candidate, or fully protected sheep species.

§ 4800. Mountain lion as specially protected mammal; Prohibition against taking; Punishment for violation.

(a) The mountain lion (genus Felis) is a specially protected mammal . . .

(b) It is unlawful to take, injure, possess, blah, blah blah . . .

(c) Any violation of this section is a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or a fine of not more than ten thousand dollars ($ 10,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment. An individual is not guilty of a violation of this section if it is demonstrated that, in taking or injuring a mountain lion, the individual was acting in self-defense or in defense of others.

#23 ·
Ha Ha Ha Ha !!! You a funny guy!!!!:laughing: Reminds me of one of my favorite movie lines from the live human version of "The Jungle Book"--- "Because to him, you are food" If you don't have kids ya probably haven't seen it. The ending is particularly interesting if you want to see interaction between big cats and humans. How'd they do that??

#24 ·
a non-concealed firearm is not illegal, however, if ur in a motor vehicle on a public road, the cal code applies and the ammunition and gun must be separated and locked up. makes sense...huh? Walking/hiking, OK, but not in a motor vehicle. I wonder if that applies to quads/cycles?

i'd have to research the Cal penal code.

Shooting on the con is disfavored for a number of valid reasons-- self-defense, fine. plinking, no.

Bare1, is ur junk ready? we're getting close! Blew out my proportioning valve at Gold Lake last w/e-- so gotta scramble for a replacement.

mb

#26 ·
mountain lions or bears. there up there and they will always be up there. ur just lucky if u see one. they usually keep there distance but its there home so what do u expect.there not really a problem until someone makes it a problem.for example,bringing a firearm and planning on using it. not a good idea. people having a firearm up there at all is not a good idea. iv had to many times were i have spent a weekend up there and hured bullets wizzing threw the trees from people target shooting. someone might get hurt. please adhear my consent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.