Pirate 4x4 banner

El Dorado County Sheriff's Cherokee

13K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  prototype 
#1 · (Edited)
ok thinking i might have better luck putting this up here rather than the general forum :p

hey all. im wondering if anyone might know where i could find specs on that sweet EDC sheriff's cherokee. ive seen it on the road a couple times (living just a short drive west of the western entrance to the rubicon), but i cant find any info on the web about it. i could call the sheriff's department, but i have no idea who id wanna talk to about it. i guess this time of year, it spends most of its time patrolling the trail, but when i went up there last weekend i didnt see it. anyway... if anyone might know anything, please lemme know! thank a bunch!
Mike

we all know the patrol vehicle im talking about.....

See less See more
#3 ·
Rollie said:
We've never seen it on the trail so who knows.
You joking? I have seen it out on the trail 3 or 4 times now. I snapped this in late June of last year camping past $1000 hill before the old now closed off Spider cut off.

As to what is under it I have no clue.

#6 ·
The lack of information and misinformation in this thread is epic! :rolleyes:

I saw two sheriffs in the XJ about every other time I went up there last week -- generally on Friday and Saturday. I never saw them broken, FWIW.

I have no specs on the vehicle...

Randii

#10 ·
Last time I saw it was at the County yard. It had 3 round tires and one not so round. Its a pretty nice rig though. You can call the SO, but I doubt you will find anybody there that could answer your question. You best bet there would be get through to their Emergency Operations Center. Rubicon patrol now falls under this unit (ie same unit responsible for Search and Rescue).

#12 ·
i was gonna say.. "never seen it on the trail? whaa?"

anyway.. thanks for the help guys. mainly i want to know what size/brand lift they used to clear what size tires (which i guess are 35s? thanks IV). im looking to build up a cherokee and ive been in love with this one ever since i saw it drive past me.

my girlfriends dad happens to be the captain of the EDC Sheriff's department so hes been able to tell me a bit about who had a hand in the buildup.. but im thinking that since one of his neighbors had it parked in front of his house for about 3 days before memorial day weekend (i guess he's one of the lucky deputies that gets to drive it for a living), i should just run over there and talk to him.

thanks again all.. great pics.

#13 · (Edited)
DLD said:
few more photos from Memorial Day weekend '06

I wish they woulda got a ticket for the busted taillight

#15 ·
IV WHLN said:
Extreme Gear did have alot to do with it. 44 rear, 30 front, 35" BFG mt's, RE long arm kit, warn bumpers, lots of fun stuff on the inside.
They're running the Full Traction Long Arm kit.

I've come across the rig once on the trail. They had managed to rip off one of the rear Bushwacker fender flares. Other than that, it wheeled just fine.

#16 · (Edited)
Do they use it for emergency issues or did some guy get lucky with his job and have a built XJ handed to him "Just in case" a robber was driving a rock buggy as the get away car to take the Rubicon trail as if they wouldn't have enough time to block the other end of the trail off and run chopers down it?

Search and Rescue right? Good to see that. I think Windrock has some kind of 6x6 junker that gets stuck more then it helps.

#17 ·
KiGrind said:
Do they use it for emergency issues or did some guy get lucky with his job and have a built XJ handed to him "Just in case" a robber was driving a rock buggy as the get away car to take the Rubicon trail as if they wouldn't have enough time to block the other end of the trail off and run chopers down it?

Search and Rescue right? Good to see that. I think Windrock has some kind of 6x6 junker that gets stuck more then it helps.
It was built with the ability to remove individuals from the trail in handcuffs:D

Maybe someday they will find a volunteer:cool2:

Rich

#21 ·
so they squeezed 35s under a 5.5 inch lift? seems kinda tight... did they trim the hell out of the fenders? they look bigger than what the factory sent. im thinking about going a 6.5 on 35s. should be nice. maybe a bit of trimming. well see.

and thanks bare. im ordering that issue of 4wd and suv. should be some good reading material.

#23 ·
poose said:
They also have a 4runner here in Tahoe That Shaffers off road did. Has anyone seen it on the trail
The Runner was developed for Search and Rescue, not for the Rubicon.

Randii

#24 ·
poose said:
They also have a 4runner here in Tahoe That Shaffers off road did. Has anyone seen it on the trail
The runner is currently sitting on hold in the back garage at shaffers

#25 ·
here you go

first of all o was in love with this cherokee too. i now work for the president of jeepers jamboree richard mainwaring. he has told me that he did alot of the biulding on it and from his information it has a dana 44 rear from dynatrac (i think) dana 30 front w/ supierior shafts and ctms. its locked front and rear and has a full traction lift. he said that the track bar was breaking alot. and it is running 35"bfg's w bushwacker fender flares. thats about it. says that it went anywhere he pointed it when he took it to moab for easter jeep safari.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.