Pirate 4x4 banner

well.. since it never was really answered

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  H8monday 
#1 ·
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485478&page=3

I asked in this thread (which was closed because people cant think before they type) a simple question.

Is there a plan for the Rubicon? More than "well... we are trying to such and such."

I personally am a GOAL oriented person. Tell me that by such and such date, we want such and such done.

EX: By October of 06 we want to have information kiosks finished. October of 07 we want to have more permanent trail markings established to help prevent further loss of vegetation.

See where I am going? If you guys that are involved with all this stuff cant tell me the plan because there isn't one, what good is it all???

#2 ·
There is a plan -- we've just been buried in the short term stuff and to busy to answer the question (and it is a good question). Sorry, I got sidetracked by the other discussions in that thread, plus this is an exceptionally busy time for me. In the past few weeks, FOTR has executed two major work weekends, completed an agency field trip. Rubicon Trail Patrol (RTP) is re-organizing with a more educational basis, and Rubicon Trail Foundation (RTF) is completing another grant application for state funding. There are also two major work days in the next two months, and 3-4 potential VIP/electeds field trips that need planned.

We'll get you more details on this after the 4th, but can't do anything but hit the high points right now, and didn't want you to have to wait further. FOTR has been around since late 2000, with one major annual meeting per year for annual planning, and email discussion throughout the year for finer details... we're engaged at:
* the County level through driving a functional Rubicon Trail Master Plan (RTMP).
* the State level in trying to work with/improve OHMVR funding through the Commission and Division
* the Federal Forest level in Route Designation
...and we're affiliated cooperatively with BRC, Cal4, United, CORVA, ORBA, and more that I am sure I am forgetting.

The long term primary goal is simple: maintain continued access for responsible motorized recreation to the Rubicon Trail. The short-term plan is to address issues on an as-needed basis through work projects, education, and donation... This is going well to plan through creation of:
* Friends of the Rubicon (FOTR), a loose-knit non-organization (a strength with the non-joiners that 4x4 folks can be)
* Rubicon Oversight Committee (ROC), a multiu-disciplinary committee of users, property owners,m and agencies, coming together to discuss prioritioes
* Rubicon Trail Foundation (RTF), a structured, non-profit 501c3 to help fund the efforts of FOTR, from tax-free space
* Rubicon Trail Patrol (RTP), a highly-structured group fitted tightly to the County and Forest law enforcement and patrol functions

We're stuck working short term, for the near-term, until the County finalizes the RTMP, which will essentially become the rules of engagement for getting things done on the trail. Once those are defined, we'll be able to leverage the organizations and networks we have worked so hard to create, and then we'll be able to better flesh out the middle-term goals that need to live between our short-term projects and our long-term goals.

Randii

#3 ·
That is a lot of stuff, glad to know there is a plan in the workings.
Meanwhile, there is always the education, and spreading the word to people not on here task that all of us can engage in to get people on-board for the transition into what seems like possibly a highly watched trail system. :D

#5 ·
Ain't it just the height of arrogance to quote oneself? :p

randii said:
We're stuck working short term, for the near-term, until the County finalizes the RTMP, which will essentially become the rules of engagement for getting things done on the trail. Once those are defined, we'll be able to leverage the organizations and networks we have worked so hard to create, and then we'll be able to better flesh out the middle-term goals that need to live between our short-term projects and our long-term goals.
An example of a mid-term goal is getting an Adopt-a-Trail program established with Eldorado County. FOTR has a staged list of interested organizations, with a suggested breakdown of potential trail subdivisions, but we can't move forward until the County defines their process, and that's not likely to happen until the RTMP gets passed.

There are more! I'd get frustrated, but sometimes you gotta just laugh... it is the nature of the agency beast. Sometimes they can move lighting fast, but the stars have to be perfectly aligned. Other times, even with the stars aligned, and signatures from everybody, the system just won't move... :laughing:

We gotta work with the agencies, but our challenge is to be lighter on our feet. Sometimes we succeed, sometimes not, but we're always getting better at it!

Randii

#6 ·
scraprock said:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485478&page=3

I asked in this thread (which was closed because people cant think before they type) a simple question.

Is there a plan for the Rubicon? More than "well... we are trying to such and such."

I personally am a GOAL oriented person. Tell me that by such and such date, we want such and such done.

EX: By October of 06 we want to have information kiosks finished. October of 07 we want to have more permanent trail markings established to help prevent further loss of vegetation.

See where I am going? If you guys that are involved with all this stuff cant tell me the plan because there isn't one, what good is it all???
Your other post was more of a testament of your discussed at crowded trails and an observation that abusers sport pirate4x4 stickers. You mention that you preffer secluded trails, love the outdoors and are bordering on agreeing with tree huggers due to abuse. Then you ask what is specifically being done to solve the problem.
My question is what abuses did you witness? Different abuses have to be dealt with in different ways.
Randis response above discribes the efforts and goals that have been being pursued for many years now, by a small army of people concerned with improving the trail educating the overall populace of operators, and keeping the trail opened for current and future enthusiasts.
So again, what are your main concernes?
If its mainly overcrowded issues, Im affraid that other than permits and or trail limits, driving less crowded trails is the only way to satisfy that. The trail is just too well known and alluring, and is also the host trail to dozens of huge organized events.
If the issue is illegal activities, of either driving violations, drug/alcohol, or environmental violations, there are document and report programs in affect that are starting to get the attention of the ignorant and or indifferent operators of both the stickered and/or non stickered persuasion.
Erosion and trail damage ,due to overuse of responsible and irresposible visitors to the trail is an ongoing program, being addressed by well organized group of planners and an army of volunteer helpers, on a contnuose basis.
What did you specifically observe, on your recent visit?

#9 ·
scraprock said:
Ha... its all ok. I will let it go. Enough is enough. I have been convinced that enough good people do care to not have a bad idea of the con.

Chit happens everywhere. I need to make a work weekend I think.
Awsome,...welcome aboard! We need as many concerned enthusiast as we can muster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.