Pirate 4x4 banner

CalStar Life Flight Membership

40K views 178 replies 101 participants last post by  samy crawler 
#1 · (Edited)
Reach AirMed Life Flight Membership

Kinda ties in with the lion and bear stories.....I posted this for the Trail Patrol members, but figured if they didn't know...many of you didn't know either.

We all love the outdoors and even though it doesn't seem like it, but we do put ourselves and our family in potentially dangerous situations. A fun weekend can change in an instant from an accident, medical issue, snake bite, etc.

On a simple trail ride at La Porte, one of our riders missed a turn while turning his head back to check on the rider behind him. He sustained a compound fracture of his femur....serious stuff.

We used a Satellite Phone to call the Sheriff.

In less than 1 hour from the accident, he was at the hospital in Reno.

All it takes is split second and anyone one of us could require Life Flight...and it's NOT cheap. The bill for Life Flight can range from $5000 to $15,000 depending on the distance required. Most medical insurance policies do not cover Life Flight....so you're on your own. One thing that we discovered the hard way, is that you can protect yourself with a Life Flight Membership.

Around our area, the two main services are Enloe and CalStar. Since they share services, joining one automatically gets you service with the other. Read the two sites and check their areas and sharing agreements to find the best one for you. CalStar is the most convenient to join, since they allow you to do it online.

FOTR has an agreement with Reach AirMed for $55 per family per year.

All info can be found at www.friendsoftherubicon.org

You can download the PDF application to mail in at
http://www.rubicontrail.org/files/fotr/fotrreachapplication.pdf

You can apply online at
http://www.amcnrep.com/

Use the code on Page 2: 11113-CA-BUS

Cost is $65

See less See more
#2 ·
Depending on the distance of transportation, costs for an air transport can range from $10,000 to over $15,000. However as a Member of CALSTAR, we will bill your insurance plan (if you have any) for our services. You will not be billed for any remaining balance, unless the services are beyond the limitations of the program.
quoted from calstars website. so it does still sound like they will bill you if the charges are more than your insurance policy will cover.

#3 · (Edited)
jopes said:
quoted from calstars website. so it does still sound like they will bill you if the charges are more than your insurance policy will cover.

That's incorrect. Basically, if you are a member, you will owe $0.00 for your life flight.

If you are a CALSTAR member and are transported, you will not be charged for any air ambulance transport costs not covered by your insurance. If you are an uninsured member, you owe nothing.

If you are a member, they WILL bill your insurance. If your insurance say has a loss point of $12,000 and your flight costs $15,000. You will NOT be billed for the remaining $3,000.

Read the FAQ, it's a little more detailed.

#7 ·
masonmachines said:
if i am going to the us for more than a few days i usually get some sort of health insurance for my trip. is there anything i should look for on the health insurance that talks about life flight.
Based on the information on the CalStar site, I would find out what your stop loss on Life Flight is for your insurance. If your Health Insurance has a stop loss at $10K....then you know you'd be on the hook for any amount over 10K if you were not a Life Flight Member.

That would be my advice. $40/$45 per year is pretty reasonable..considering the alternative.

I know one of my friends was shot 10 years ago...and his life flight from Half Moon Bay to Stanford was $8000 10 years ago.

#9 ·
SBChero said:
i wonder if there are any of these programs for us down in southern ca? near the hammers.
For So Cal most services are provided by either the fire dept. or sheriff's dept. I know a air ambulance ride provided by the Los Angeles City Fire Dept or the Los Angeles County Fire or Sheriff Dept will cost a fraction of what the Life Flight cost would be. I believe LAFD charges a flat fee of right around $500 bucks and I think the Sheriff's are about the same. San Bernadino County I think is covered by Life Flight so a having insurance with them might be beneficial if you do a lot of high risk activities in that area. LA County Fire covers a huge area from Gorman, Malibu, Antelope Valley down to close to the 15. Anywhere in the at area a helicoper evac should not be too expensive and you wouldnt be able to get the insurance from them anyway.

#33 ·
SBChero said:
i wonder if there are any of these programs for us down in southern ca? near the hammers.
For So Cal most services are provided by either the fire dept. or sheriff's dept. I know a air ambulance ride provided by the Los Angeles City Fire Dept or the Los Angeles County Fire or Sheriff Dept will cost a fraction of what the Life Flight cost would be. I believe LAFD charges a flat fee of right around $500 bucks and I think the Sheriff's are about the same. San Bernadino County I think is covered by Life Flight so a having insurance with them might be beneficial if you do a lot of high risk activities in that area. LA County Fire covers a huge area from Gorman, Malibu, Antelope Valley down to close to the 15. Anywhere in the at area a helicoper evac should not be too expensive and you wouldnt be able to get the insurance from them anyway.[/QUOTE

Just speaking for Los Angeles County Fire, there is no charge for the use of the helicopter to be transported to area hospitals/trauma ctr... There is no charge either for the use of the Lasd Air 5 (which flies with SWAT trained personnel and a Dr.) I'm not to familiar if Los Angeles City fire charges, but for surrounding counties ( Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, and Kern) they contract with agencies such as Life Flight, or Mercy Air for air ambulance needs.

#11 · (Edited)
Yes I realize it is bringing up an old post from the past:)

I know it's not Rubicon specific, but this thread is where I first found it.

With the Summer wheeling season coming up it's probably a good time to take a look at renewal or new memberships. It is still just $45/family. Every year there are incidents on the Rubicon that required some sort of life flight. Granted this covers you on Fordyce, Moon rocks, I-80, hwy50 or downtown wherever.

probably not a bad thing to bring up at a club meeting as well.

#16 ·
I work the first aid/medical room at a local ski resort as well as local fire and we fly 5-10 patients per month. I've had patients who have told me they were charged 35-40K for the air ambulance ride.

Before joining any particular service research who EMS uses in your area. We are primarily covered by both CalStar and PHI depending on where in the district you get hurt or how busy they are. You don't get to choose which service comes and the membership doesn't transfer from one to the other.

Good insurance for sure. . .

#19 ·
You don't really get to pick which bird will come. Yes, CHP can be one of the responders, but they will generally only transport a patient when other air abulance services are not available or are delayed. Also, since it is not the primary role of the CHP birds, they will often need to land somewhere off scene to reconfigure. This can delay their response time.

P.S. I've been doing SAR for El Dorado County for 10+ years.

#18 ·
True however you are subject to their leisure. if they are occupied you will still need lifeflight. If it is a life and death situation, it does not matter who shows up.

#21 ·
This is soooo true
You don't really get to pick which bird will come. Yes, CHP can be one of the responders, but they will generally only transport a patient when other air abulance services are not available or are delayed. Also, since it is not the primary role of the CHP birds, they will often need to land somewhere off scene to reconfigure. This can delay their response time.

P.S. I've been doing SAR for El Dorado County for 10+ years.
If you ask for CHP, they will call them 1st. That might save someone from having to pay for heli ride!!!!! We use them all the time for search's, and they told they like doing life fhight calls. Its something differant for them.

#20 ·
I've been a member of Calstar for 2 years now and its a great piece of mind. Just to let you know that $15K is low, I've heard of some bills as high as $35K from the pilots and nurses that I work with. I've called air ambulance in on quite a few accidents and feel sorry for some of the patients and the costs that they are going to incur. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

#23 ·
The trick is to fall somewhere so inaccessible Calstar can't get to you. Then they have to call the Coast Guard chopper out of Monterey (happens occassionally around here with rockclimbers.) CG is free.
That said, I'm thinking signing up for calstar is sounding like a good idea. I know for almost any motorcycle crash protocol here is to send a helicopter, so if you're a rider I'd definitely sign up...

#25 ·
Calstar

Just wanted to bring this back to the top. With the increase seen this year in winter wheeling and the upcoming season, Just wanted to remind everybody about this great service. I just renewed the family and I for one feel $45.00 for the family year subscription is money well spent. Everyone in the household is covered.

It literally took me under five minutes to go through the sign up process. All the information needed and sign up pages can be found at the link below. Give it a look, great peace of mind.

Tim

http://www.calstar.org

#28 ·
Just wanted to bring this back to the top. With the increase seen this year in winter wheeling and the upcoming season, Just wanted to remind everybody about this great service. I just renewed the family and I for one feel $45.00 for the family year subscription is money well spent. Everyone in the household is covered.
Thanks for the bump. Should remember each year.

#30 ·
Goes

Just thought I would post up another option for SAR/Extraction. GOES is worldwide and seems a bit cheaper than the above options. YMMV. I happen to have a "SPOT" satellite messenger that I can use to summon help so for me, a one year plan is $14 and covers up to $100,000 worth of expenses. They also offer a MediVac service that will transport you from your point of injury to the hospital of your choice with up to $1,000,000 in coverage. Check the site out and see if it fits.

Here is the link: http://www.geosalliance.com/index.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.