Pirate 4x4 banner

Icehouse or Wentworth

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  resqme 
#1 ·
OK I asked this in chitchat with a big goose egg so I'll try here

Which is easier pulling trailers to get to Robbs, Icehouse from 50 or Wentworth from Georgetown? thanks

#2 ·
Loaded question there. Where ya coming from? If from the north, stay on 50 and go up Icehouse. If you are coming from my house, Wentworth.

#4 ·
I-5 to I-80 to Penryn, Penryn to Auburn. South on Hwy 49 to Georgetown Rd. Left on Georgetown Rd to Georgetown. In Georgetown left on to Wentworth Springs Rd.

The first few miles out of Auburn is narrow and slow but once you reach the flat on Hwy 49 it is pretty good going all the way to the top of Wentworth.

#6 · (Edited)
From Roseville (not towing) it takes 1.5hrs if you cut across hazel to 50 to Ice house to the trail head. It takes 1.75hrs if you go 49 through Georgetown and up Wentworth to the trail head. It will take you a bit longer towing. The Auburn/49/Georgetown/Wentworth route is a much more senic drive with little to no traffic. I think 80 would be much easier pulling a trailer.

#7 ·
I used to do 50 to Ice House when I lived in the Bay Area and I now do Auburn to Georgetown from Grass Valley.

I don't trailer to Rubicon but I do trailer to most other places and my feel for the two routes is that they are pretty much the same in the end.

Since you want to go to Penryn first, then the Auburn/Georgetown route would be my choice. Trying to get down to 50 from 80 near Penryn is a PITA if you ask me. Besides, you get to do the "true" historical Rubicon route that way.

#9 ·
Terry4X4 said:
I-5 to I-80 to Penryn, Penryn to Auburn. South on Hwy 49 to Cool. Turn Left on Hwy 193 that will take you to Georgetown. In Georgetown left on to Wentworth Springs Rd. Follow that to Ice House and turn right. Robbs is about 10 miles from there.

The first few miles out of Auburn is narrow and slow but once you reach the flat on Hwy 49 it is pretty good going all the way to the top of Wentworth.

fixed it for ya:grinpimp:

#12 ·
there is a stretch of Hwy 49 right when you cross the river at the bottom of the canyon outside of Auburn on your way in to Cool where it's a fair uphill grade and it's very windy and narrow. Other than that, it's not bad. 50-ice House road has a windy narrow road too though, so either way is gonna be about the same. (Hwy 49 has a railguard though where Ice House doesn't... so maybe there's your answer ;-)

#13 ·
KYOTA- Hello there. I think we met on the rubicon on Saturday, July 15th. Were you the one in the Toyota Truggy with your wife and baby? If this was you...... We past eachother just before Buck Island Lake. You mentioned that you should have paid for a couple of more days....who did you pay?
Hope you had fun! Thats a long haul!
Harold

#14 ·
not me sorry no curtain climbers here :laughing: thanks everyone and Scott for the fixed directions :D my bud in Penryn said there was a steep badass hill going in that side so I just wanted some other opinions.

OK another question
whats a better place to stay a couple nights KOA in PLacerville or Robbs ?

#16 ·
Better services in placerville, nicer atmosphre and closer to the Con at Robbs. If you are self contained and plan on making your own meals anyway, I would say robbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.