Pirate 4x4 banner

Jeep Commander off-roading the Rubicon Trail...

16K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  HoJoPo 
#1 · (Edited)
is it possible?

I'm growing quite fond of the Commander, and since I live about 80 miles from the Rubicon Trail, I thought it would be exciting to buy a Commander, take one out there for a day and have some off-road fun for the first time.

#2 ·
You could. A stock fj80 will due well , so I assume a Jeep whatever could. It will not cruise everything but decent. I think you could enjoy some obstacles but use common sense and just cruise around an area that fits the rig . Do not just hit the trail and follow others , you will be sorry..

#3 ·
no...

go play in your nearst grocery store parking lot....if you go up to the con and start playing around before the gate keeper or what was known as the gate keeper everyone will look at you funny....and if you do go up there please dont go no further then the first rock slab after the over spill...:flipoff2:

#4 ·
exactly. you could but would not like either path leading up and out of the bowl. there is planty to go experience your rig on in that area. steep , slab , ledges , have fun , just play where appropriate. The rig is probably capable enough to get you into somewhere you should not be . Common sense .

#5 ·
What you SHOULD do is get to know the rig before you go to the Rubicon. Then when you feel you are ready, go with a group that has experience up there. that way you will have the best time without damaging the rig or holding others back. Remember to use trail ettiquite and above all have fun.

I have seen the Commander on the trail. You should expect some body damage. If you can't fathom getting some bumps and scrapes you should reconsider the trip.

Scott

#6 · (Edited)
Well.......They are Trail rated!!! We ran into Chrysler last year and watched them run the trail. The top engineer was driving the Commander with windows up, air conditioning running and tunes a blasting. Admittedly the commander took some body damage but the guy mentioned where the commander lacked in suspension and size it made up for it with the Hemi!!! I think his words were "power through". Here is a small vid we took of the commander coming down Thousand dollar hill.
Cruzilla: Note I called it "Thousand Dollar hill" Not "Financial" LOL

http://homepage.mac.com/greentwins1/.Movies/Commander.mov

#7 ·
Not meaning to bump an old thread - BUT, I have a Commander and have only heard rumors and reports of Commanders on the Rubicon. I would like to take mine out there, and before I'd love to see some video and pictures of Commanders on the trail. The link above is old and doesn't work - any updated link?

#8 ·
What are the specs?

If I can make it in my H3, you can make it in the Commander.

Just take someone with you who knows the trail and has a lot of patience. It will be slow going your first time out, and I recommend going in Wentworth your first time.

Good luck and expect heckeling, body damage, and a great time!

Bebe

#9 ·
Thanks for the encouragement! Right now, I'm running a 2006 Commander XK Limited, 5.7 HEMI, QDII, 2 1/2" lift and 255/70R17 Bridgestone Dueler AT REVOs. Looking at the maps and guides, I would probably start at Wentworth. Is it worth it to get one of the "guides" or just give it a go? I wouldn't be going until summer sometime.

Still looking for any pics or vids of the Commander on the Rubicon if anyone has some around.

Thanks

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
hahahahahahahhahahahahah!!!!!! dude are you serious?

you are talking about a low slung, wide, tall rig with tires like my 2wd street truck. if you take it up there ,

1 it will not look the same when it comes back
2 BRING someone with you, you have no jack points to raise you self off of rocks, no winch to pull yourself out of mud puddles.

have some common sence dude, you still owe how much on it?? do you really want to beat and break it and still owe $$$ on it?

edited to bring it in line with the PG-13 intent of this forum -- Randii

#14 ·
I definitely would not take a stock Commander on the Con. I have already installed a lift and some bigger tires. The Commander is not really that wide - it is a little taller than I'd like. I would, of course, have some Super Sliders on and a modified front and rear bumper with integrated winch.

I may be a Commander owner, but I'm not completely clueless.

Besides, I'll have my pit crew (children) to stack rocks and run lines if necessary.

I'm just looking to see if anyone has seen a Commander on the Con and has some pics and vids for research.

#18 ·
Video Link Back Up.

Video should work now.

I think we as a group tend to make the Rubicon out to be harder than it really is in an effort to fulfill our sense of hardcore achievements. Don't misunderstand me, this is a difficult trail and I would never recommend a new comer travel alone but we have all seen many a stock rig make it through without too much difficulty, at least I have.

My first trip on the 'con was in my '84CJ7 open,open, 3.31 gears and the sway bar still connected. Did I have problems? You bet! But with the assistance of the group I was traveling with that had years of Rubicon experience, I made it through and more importantly had a great time.

My Advise: Go prepared, Go with a group with Rubicon experience, expect damage, be patient and courteous and most importantly have a great time.:)

http://homepage.mac.com/greentwins1/.Movies/Commander.mov

#21 ·
I think we as a group tend to make the Rubicon out to be harder than it really is in an effort to fulfill our sense of hardcore achievements.
Quoted for truth

If a stock vehicle cannot traverse the Rubicon, then we have bigger problems than we think.

Why?

Karen Schambach has a group of old school local Georgetown Jeepers that are PISSED, because they claim that a stock vehicle cannot safely traverse the trail any longer due to massive erosion created by “extreme” vehicles such as Vertigo’s and maybe even trekklr77’s.

They have made it a huge issue to the OHMVR Commission (now Division) in order to back up their claims that the trail needs to be shut down and rehabbed, so that someday stock Jeeps can safely traverse the world’s most famous trail.

You don’t see the Rubicon’s Volunteer Leaders on the thread urging you not to go…..NO, only that you go prepared.

The nay saying you are experiencing on this thread are from those that think they somehow have more of a right to be there than you. Or those in built rigs that are upset when they run across you and your group while they are on a mission to break their last record for a run to Spider Lake and back.

In an effort to make a point, they prove that they have missed the ENTIRE point.

I personally have experienced this type of attitude both on and off the trail. And my honest and sincere advice? Go anyway. Enjoy the rail for what it is, a beautiful, OUTSTANDING life experience. Have I let it stop me or ruin my personal experience wheeling a stock rig all over heck and back??

Heck no. I just keep on truckin’.

And if you run across folks like the above mentioned, get out of their path as quickly and as courteously as possible, and wish them a nice day.

More than anything, experience it, love it, and give back what you think the experience was worth. There are so many folks who work really hard to keep this trail alive.

#20 ·
Wow, its interesting to see how many completely contradictory answers one gets to a simple question. I think its exactly that range of ideas that makes a forum like this good. I now feel like I have a good amount of information (thanks for the video!) and can make an informed decision.

Once I get some rails, bumpers and a winch, I think I'll make the trip.

Thanks again for the info! All of your input is great.

#23 ·
An old thread but a good thread none the less. I see no reason not to take a Commander or similar type of rig on the Rubicon. There are areas that will be a challenge but damage can be kept to a minimum with a little pre-trip preparation. I've taken many a Newb on the trail over the years in rigs that were in stock or near stock trim. It's actually a lot of fun to see the trail through their eyes. I say run it, have fun and leave the trail better than you found it.

I think Curly's statement really hit the nail on the head ;)

#26 ·
Dude go for it, we ran a stock 76 IH Scout Traveler on the trail and had no significant damage. We had 31" tires too. We did pick our lines carefully, and stayed away from the exreme stuff. The most important thing was we had a great time took lot's of cool pictures, caught some trout for breakfast and came away refreshed after a cool vacation.
Some of the best advice on here is to ride with people who know the trails and follow the rules. Listen and learn while you are there, and take all advice as just what it is, someone else's opinion. If I listened to everyone else's advice all the time I would be broke and in my garage all the time with no time to wheel. My moto is wheel what you have and enjoy it like it is, otherwise you will never find satisfaction in what you have. Someone always has a "better" rig.

#27 ·
Again, thanks for all the input. I plan on probably running the Rubicon either this summer sometime or the summer after - depending on my work schedule. I think with some careful planning, good line picking and some excellent spotters, we'll make it through alright. Either way, it'll make for some good pics and a trip to remember.

#28 ·
I watched a completely stock Commando on the con one time.....he made it to the big rock next to the old tree on the right at the gate and prompty busted a ujoint on his driveshaft & an axel outer at the same time.....pop....pop.
I towed him just below where he left it to find a person to take him back down the hill for parts. He was an old timer who took it everyplace.....well that had no rocks and was pretty flat in his admission of not knowing it was going to bust, and that he never ever replaced or broke anything before.

#29 ·
I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee with 2" of lift, running 32" tires. I put all the stock skid plates, and the 4xguard skids / rocker guards underneath it, and took it to Moab. Had a blast on Top of the World and Elephant Hill, along with some easier trails.

Running the Rubicon trail, you'll run in to some challenges, but it sounds like you've got some decent protection for the rockers and underside, so have fun.

It's been a couple years since I last ran the Rubicon in my '03 Rubicon (4" AiRock and 35's). From what I remember of the trail, you should be OK with 32's or larger and the Jeep Quadra-Drive II system (boy did that perform well in Moab on my '05... just point and drive.)

On rocks, the ELSDs (electronic limited slip diffs) make a groaning noise as they slip to limit torque buildup. Kinda startling the first time you hear it, but you get used to it. Worked as well as the lockers on my Rubi, from my experience having driven Elephant Hill in both rigs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.