Pirate 4x4 banner

Rovers on the Rubicon June Pics

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  borregobandito 
#1 ·
Our galleries from our early june trip are finally up. Thanks to everyone, POR and assorted others who helped us down the trail in our five day slog.

Turns out it's pretty fun to do the trail on little tires with lots of body work in shiny expensive trucks.
At least it's not boring.

enjoy.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/rubicon/

#4 ·
UGET IT said:
Glad you had a great time! Yopu have a good group of folks, glad we could assist.

Kevin Carey
POR President
97 White TJ
Thanks Kevin.

I think the POR tie rod party pics are my favorite section of the photo essay.

I'm sure you didn't get to hear, but on day 5 of our trip the El Dorado, Sheriff got on the 2m amateur radio repeater because he had heard about us and knew about the snow. He told our guy who answered the call, "You must turn around, the trail is snowed in and impassable for all but extreme trucks and I'm not coming out to dig your corpses out of the snow."
I said, (with all due respect to helpful LEOs) "ain't gonna happen"
Come too far and not enough gas to slog backwards for another 4+ days.
Two broken winch lines, a lot of shoveling and hi-lifting and 8 hours later, we were out.

Plus we were following the "show biz" chebby truggy on mog axles with rear-steer and 44s.
I mean if HE can make it...

#5 ·
borregobandito said:
Thanks Kevin.

I think the POR tie rod party pics are my favorite section of the photo essay.

I'm sure you didn't get to hear, but on day 5 of our trip the El Dorado, Sheriff got on the 2m amateur radio repeater because he had heard about us and knew about the snow. He told our guy who answered the call, "You must turn around, the trail is snowed in and impassable for all but extreme trucks and I'm not coming out to dig your corpses out of the snow."
I said, (with all due respect to helpful LEOs) "ain't gonna happen"
Come too far and not enough gas to slog backwards for another 4+ days.
Two broken winch lines, a lot of shoveling and hi-lifting and 8 hours later, we were out.

Plus we were following the "show biz" chebby truggy on mog axles with rear-steer and 44s.
I mean if HE can make it...
Glad your trip out wwnt good.:smokin:

Hope to see you guys again on the trail, I am sure you all learned allot in the process! shoot me a PM when you plan your next trip:)

KC

#6 · (Edited)
#9 ·
UGET IT said:
That chick in last weekends shot is really hot.........if that your lady congrats!
LOL.
That's Rebecca Grant.
www.rebeccagrant.com
the host of ESPN's "Truckstop".
We were filming a Land Rover episode of the show in the Anza Borrego Desert.

We totally whored ourselves out for TV and a chick.

#17 · (Edited)
scotte said:
I thought it was funny each meal got it's picture taken. Very cool!
lol.
Oh, that's nothing.

This trip wasn't considered very "food oriented". Usually it's a lot more elaborate, but I have to say we were pretty worn out on the trail most of the time.

Trail cuisine is a big part of the trips for me. I throw down in ways I hardly do at home, all with a normal field kitchen and no special tools. To me it's all about having the total experience and I try to go all out when it comes, to the truck, the trail, the view, the crew and especially the dining. In the end you get the total package trip and I think it's pretty kick ass.

Of course, to each his own. A lot of people look at all that as wasted time that could have been spent wheeling or wrenching. I never said, my way was the best. Just my way.

here are some food pics from past trips:

#19 ·
WOW, I eat pop tarts and cold soup while I am out....

Nice pics, I love watching the stock'er' rigs going though, I hate being stuck in traffic though (Nissians from last weekend :( ) but I think its great your taking those rigs out and beating them up.

#21 ·
the SPAM and Chef B are kind of a joke.
well, they wouldn't have been a joke if we'd rolled into week two on the trail.

one of our group has a Hawaiian heritage hence the affinity for canned meats with endless shelf lives and the loco moco.

#24 ·
borregobandito said:
the SPAM and Chef B are kind of a joke.
well, they wouldn't have been a joke if we'd rolled into week two on the trail.

I am actually surprised at how many photos you guys took considering all the wrenching that was taking place. I could almost see the slight frustration on some faces as the pics went on ( not at dinner time though ) .

#25 ·
Rockhugger said:
I am actually surprised at how many photos you guys took considering all the wrenching that was taking place. I could almost see the slight frustration on some faces as the pics went on ( not at dinner time though ) .

Oh it's absolutely true.
Plenty of times you just don't feel like making the effort to shoot or people aren't to happy to be the subject of the shot (stuck, wrenching, carnage, etc.) but when you get back and you are forced to webwheel rather than be on the trail, the effort for the pics is worth it.

The first page of pics were shot with a Nikon D70, the second page was shot with a Canon 20D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.