Pirate 4x4 banner

Chalet Tow Rig Parking - With Photos

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  atvobsession 
#1 ·
There has been many posts about what you can and can't do at the Chalet. Hopefully these pictures will help out. At the Chalet, you cannot park on the asphalt area.

In the 2nd photo, you can see the Chalet after you make a right turn shortly after entering the Chalet parking lot.

This is the view driving up toward the helipad. You can see the circular rock formation, outlining the landing area. It is very obvious once you are there, that you would NOT want to block this road. The road drives up to the helipad, and circles the rock formation. The area to the left, right and behind the helipad is enormous! To quote myself to Scott when I saw it, "you wouldn't want to be on the trail if this parking area was full."

This shot is while standing on the helipad and looking back at the Chalet. That evening, there were 9 vehicles parked at the Chalet. You can clearly see the road which comes up to, and around the pad. As mentioned before, the area around there is huge. If parked efficiently, I could easily see 60 rigs parked there, perhaps more. Clearly, this was a big win and we should do our best to maintain it.

See less See more
#4 ·
Ur EX Friends park there yes!:flipoff2:
Good spot to park i like it as my truck is in the picture...lol
less traffic and dont have to worry about much.

#6 ·
Finally! Thanks allot for this clarification. I have parked there for years and it is legal to drive with a Green Sticker to the start of the trail from that parking lot.

Keep this area clean and if anyone sees trash pick it up. If someone is parked in the road that goes to the Helipad please let em know to move it.

Thanks.

#7 ·
UGET IT said:
Finally! Thanks allot for this clarification. I have parked there for years and it is legal to drive with a Green Sticker to the start of the trail from that parking lot.

Yes...and there are new signs this year. This was in my Kiosk update...but can be here too.

A new addition that was a welcome sight, was the new Combined Use signs. It is now legal to park at the Chalet, in the dirt area around the helipad. So Green sticker vehicles, including motorcycles and ATV's can use the paved section to reach the trailhead. This is a LONG TIME OVERDUE. It's imperative that this does not get abused!

When you arrive at the Chalet area, you are greeted by the first sign which lets you know it is now a combined use Road.

Then a second sign, reinforces the fact that we have to share! This is a great sign, and really drives the point home.

#8 ·
How long have you had a combined use road? I was just talking to the forest service roads manager today as they have been receiving public imput on the new roads plan to designate roads. He explained the state CHP has to approve the the combined use first. Then the forest service has numerous steps to complete. They have to do environmental impact report. Then some sort of justification and needs report. Then public comment and apparently several other steps. The locals here are hoping for some combined use routes.

#11 ·
John said:
How long have you had a combined use road? I was just talking to the forest service roads manager today as they have been receiving public imput on the new roads plan to designate roads. He explained the state CHP has to approve the the combined use first. Then the forest service has numerous steps to complete. They have to do environmental impact report. Then some sort of justification and needs report. Then public comment and apparently several other steps. The locals here are hoping for some combined use routes.
John, please PM me with your email address and I will forward the document that FOTR submitted to get this rolling. Send me you phone number, too, and I'll call to walk you through some of work that was required -- FOTR's established relationships with the County and Forest Service helped, but for the CHP, we had it hand-delivered a USFS LEO, with whom we'd shared as much info as we had, and who was willing to work this at the CHP level.

As with most things in government, persistence pays off. Just about anyone involved can throw up a roadblock to what you want, but if you keep working it, sometimes you can get everyone in line at the same time...

Randii

#14 ·
I posted this on another thread...but we'll do one-stop shopping.

Wentworth Side - Photos.

Ok. Once you pass Loon Lake Road, you only have to 2.2 miles before you hit the next Combined Use Road sign. It's before ANY available parking, so essentially, any legal place to park after the sign is ok.

At the end of the curve in the previous photo, just around the corner, is the "Share The Road" sign.

And coming back, is the End of combined use. It's 2.2 miles to Loon Lake Road.

The signs are right next to this trail...if you'd like to check your Forest Map. But trust me...there's no parking prior to the sign anyway.

#15 ·
peesalot said:
where does the road going past chalet go ?

Google Earth isn't a high-res shot here like Randy's...but you get the idea. It eventually runs into Ice House and other trails....check the Route Designation Map for closures. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.