Pirate 4x4 banner

Runing The Trail Aug 11 & 12

2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  randii 
#1 ·
We've Got A Small Group [ 8 Rigs] Leaving From Loon Lake On Fri Aug. 11 And Going Down To Rubucon Springs, Then Comming Back Up The Trail On Sat. & Returning To Loon. We Just Heard There Is A Big Group [ About 135 Rigs ] Going Down The Trail On Sat. We Just Wondered Are We Going To Create A Problem Running Against The Grain Or Should We Change Our Plans

#2 · (Edited)
You might want to change your dates... The Con may be off-limits to all but those participating in the Jeep Jamboree - 10th Rubicon Trail, August 11,12 &13.

#3 ·
That isn't true, actually. Jeepers Jamboree has the trail the following dates:

July 27th thru July 30th
August 4th thru 6th

I'm not saying there isn't a big group coming through on Saturday the 12th...there may be, but it isn't Jamboree.

Generally, trying to run the trail "backwards" (yes I know there is no official backward and forward) on a Saturday in the summer is a fool's errand. Typically, you will be going against at least 135 rigs or more by the end of the day.

#5 ·
man this sucks. between jeep jambo and the jeeper's jambo there is three weekends that the trail is packed. anyone know if the jeep jambo rents the trail for the 12 and 13th and if the public can use the trail without purchasing a trip package from the jeep jambo. i was under the impression that the jeeper's jambo controls who enters the trail for the next two weekends.

#7 · (Edited)
OK, let's be very clear...

Jeeper's Jamboree is July 27th thru 30th (450 rigs, trail is closed)
Jeep Jamboree is August 4th tru 6th (250 rigs, trail is closed)
Jeep Jamboree USA's Rubicon Trip is August 11th thru 13th (135 rigs, trail is not closed)

The first two close the trail to outsiders (see this thread http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490562).

The last one is a commercial trip put on by Mark Smith's commercial tour company, Jeep Jamboree USA, and does not close the trail. Typically they will NOT be on the trail Saturday, the 12th, as they will run everyone to Rubicon Springs on Friday, the 10th, and everyone out through Cadillac to Tahoe early in the morning on Sunday, the 13th. They tend to keep the group together, and yes, it is slow going if you get behind them.

Either way, as I said before, I wouldn't intentionally choose to go the "backwards" way out Loon on any summer Saturday.

#8 ·
resqme said:
OK, let's be very clear...

Jeeper's Jamboree is July 27th thru 30th (450 rigs, trail is closed)
Jeep Jamboree is August 4th tru 6th (250 rigs, trail is closed)
Jeep Jamboree USA's Rubicon Trip is August 11th thru 13th (135 rigs, trail is not closed)

The first two close the trail to outsiders (see this thread http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490562).

The last one is a commercial trip put on by Mark Smith's commercial tour company, Jeep Jamboree USA, and does not close the trail. Typically they will NOT be on the trail Saturday, the 12th, as they will run everyone to Rubicon Springs on Friday, the 10th, and everyone out through Cadillac to Tahoe early in the morning on Sunday, the 13th. They tend to keep the group together, and yes, it is slow going if you get behind them.

Either way, as I said before, I wouldn't intentionally choose to go the "backwards" way out Loon on any summer Saturday.
So clarify for me... We're planning on starting the trail on Sunday, August 6th from Wentworth. Is the trail still closed in the wake of the JJ event? Or just until they pass?

#11 ·
JJ USA may not "close" the trail for their event, but don't plan on camping at Rubicon Springs that weekend. Also, be aware that the helicopter will be flying between the springs and Hot Rock (Loon) through out most of that weekend. It gets kind of anoying after a few hours. Personally, I like a little peace and quite when I go, but that's just me.

JJ USA takes 3 groups through for their event. The rigs that are highly modified go 1st, followed by moderately modified rigs, and lastly mostly stock rigs. By the time they get to the springs, though, they can all be bunched up into a single group. Last year, for example, the 1st group ran into a bottle neck at Gate Keeper where a non-participant spend a hour or more getting through. That caused all the groups to be bunched up for most of the day.

#13 ·
For the next 3 weeks, don't even plan on using the bathroom at the springs.
The Jeeper's (all of them) are preping the springs and DO NOT want you in there while they are working.

#15 ·
We called the organizers on Monday & they said there's only 60 rigs signed up so far instead of 135 so it might not be so bad. We might go down on Sat. & back up on Sun.

#16 ·
You know what gets me , that when TLCA does Rubithon they do not discourage the general public in any way from using the trail that week and there were well over 100 rigs. There isn't even any stigma about that week like there is for JJ and JJ USA. I think we saw alot of groups going in and out while the 100 + Rubithon attendies got into the springs and there was no problem. There was a large Sammi group , a bunch of Jeep rubicons , and all the normal traffic.

Why is it even an issue or reason to take note if they are rollin 60 rigs in , so do it already. I understand JJ gets the permit and secures the springs but other than that what does it really change 60 rigs or not ?????

#17 ·
Everyone I talk to about Rubithon, I suggest to not go during that time. It is just a courtesy. Besides, everyone knows Cruisers do it in June because they're the only ones that can get in. hmmmm wink wink

#18 · (Edited)
AUG. 11-12-13 the trail is OPEN to the public.
there is a jamboree on these dates.
I called the jamboree and DENISE said" they leave GOERGETOWN about 6:00am on 8-11-06 and are coming out the east end on 8-13-06.
but they are camping at the springs. they CAN...the public CAN NOT
we also planned a trip for this weekend and this pbb tread got me to call. we will have about 7 rigs

#20 ·
C'mon folks -- it ain't that hard. Many groups successfully work around large events like Jamboree, Trek, and Rubithon.

If you aren't willing to work around their schedule to share the trail, you can also run Signal Peak, Barrett, Blue Lakes, Niagara Rim, Duesy, Bronco Canyon, or Moon Rocks, to name just a few. A bit further afield, there's Black Rock Desert, Sand Mountain, Clear Creek, and etc. There are PLENTY of trails within 5 hours of Sacramento -- don't limit yourself to just the 'big name' trails. Some of the other trails have fewer people and a much higher-quality get-away-from-it-all experience.

Randii

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.