Pirate 4x4 banner

Hell Hole

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Big Rich 
#1 · (Edited)
Is Hell Hole considered part of the springs? ( at the bottom of the springs heading towards tahoe if you go left at the tahoe sign on the tree)

#3 ·
No , I believe Hell Hole is up by the top. Where the trail goes right into the trees for old sluice , left to drop down the slabs. Just befor that split right when you come outa water if you go straight instead of hard right you go down hell hole. This is heading towards springs from loon.

#4 ·
peesalot said:
No , I believe Hell Hole is up by the top. Where the trail goes right into the trees for old sluice , left to drop down the slabs. Just befor that split right when you come outa water if you go straight instead of hard right you go down hell hole. This is heading towards springs from loon.
Pees, dunno what you are describing, tell me more. Nuthing I'm aware of there....

The Hell Hole Lake that I know is north of McKinstry Peak, past Red Cliffs... it is the next major valley north of Gerle Creek, and Rubicon River flows into it. There's a single-track that cuts NE from McKinstry Lake to the backside of Guide Peak and wraps back NE to connect to Upper Hell Hole. Upper is well worth the paddle from Lower, or the hike down from McKinstry.

Randii

#6 ·
Yes, he is. Jamboree folks know that as Lost Canyon. Incidentally, the private parcel it is on is owned by Mark Smith. At the bottom of that dead end trail, maybe another ten minutes walk, is a nice small lake/swimming hole on panther creek with a wire rope across it that looks like it was used as tram of some sort.

BTW, Randi, for years we have had to mark that off with caution tape to keep people out of there and they still went in. Unless your rig is VERY capable, it is quite difficult to get out. Because of this, I appreciate the signs, they were extremely helpful, we only had one rig get down there this year and he admitted to seeing the signs and ignoring them:confused: .

#7 ·
Also, not to mention the wilderness area and other private property, if you really look at a topo, you would see the cliffs and narrows above hell hole. I doubt any vehicle has ever been through there without being a liferaft.

#9 · (Edited)
Didn't know the story, but found one of the bikes once. Woulda been sixties or seventies vintage, an enduro. Could probably find it again if I went and looked.

Also once found a huge pile of lumber down there that was smashed to kindling...a dropped sling load froma Rubicon Springs project.

#11 ·
Our old Buck Camp for opening of deer season was just west of Guides Peak, in a small saddle above the road going into Ellis from McKinstry Lake. There was a pretty good hiking trail down to Upper Hell Hole, or so I was told. I never walk it because of the walk back out:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.