Pirate 4x4 banner

Not sure if this is appropriate but... running the con from TX 8-26-06

984 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  randii 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I see some other posts about weekend runs and happy hours, so I don't think it's 100% dedicated to land use and trail cleanup. Sorry if I'm stepping on toes posting this.

I've been planning for like a year to come out the last weekend this month and run the con. I grew up in California but have never wheeled much there and don't even know where to start on finding the con and running it. I just want to get out and run this legendary trail before it gets taken away from us.

My trail guide / local guy who was supposed to run the trail with me backed out last week, and now I'm in a sling. I'm coming from TX, so I've already made enough committments it's hard to back out this late in the game, but I'd prefer not to run the trail without some local guidance.

Is there enough traffic on the trail these days that there will be people to point me in the right direction?

Does the FOTR site have enough info that I can do some research and then just show up?

Anyone planning on running the trail that weekend and not mind if a couple of Texas rigs join your group? My buddy and I are sharing a trailer ride out there, we'll have his TJ on 35's and my Samurai on 36's. Both are locked front and rear, have winches, and are generally well built, well used, reliable rigs, so we shouldn't be a big pain in the rear to anyone we join in with.

Also, what are the camping / drinking / pooping / other restrictions like these days, or is there a good FAQ link for that info?

Thanks for any help, and feel free to flame away or move this if it's the wrong place or too dumb of a batch of questions for you.

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
The 26th should be a good weekend, though the springs wcould be busy all this month because Chrysler is doing the press junkets for the new KJ rollout (not sure when the last one is, but I think that mess will be over by then).

There should be enough traffic to keep you pointed in the right direction. I am going in one weekend this month, not sure which. If your rigs are well set up and you are competent with repair, wheeling, camping you probably can just "show up", though a local guide is a good idea in terms of staying on the trail.

The new Forest Order requires you to stay within 25' of the center of the trail and of course you can't do any resource damage for any reason. This includes driving on vegetation, washing dishes in streams or lakes or improperly disposing of garbage or human waste. You are allowed to camp anywhere in the forest that is more than 100' from a watercourse, though of course you can't drive your rig anywhere except within that 25' easement. There are no pooper restrictions in term of requirements, though you are STRONGLY encouraged to carry a toilet and pack it out due to the environmental publicity the trail is receiving. PLEASE do so.

The water in the lakes in streams is not drinkable (if that is what you are asking) due to Giardia, so you should pack in or filter water. It appears clear, clean, and beautiful, but can make you sick. It is wonderful to swim in, especially that late in the season. If you are asking about drinking alcohol, the Rubicon Trail is a County Road and therefore open container and DUI laws will apply, and there is more enforcement this year on the trail than there has ever been in the past. Fire restrictions are in effect, so no open fires and stoves require a permit.

I guess that's all the bad news...the good news it is still a beautiful place and a great trail.

#3 ·
I can handle the drinking water. Is pissing on the ground also taboo or is that ok (the standard boy scout 200' from running water of course).

I wasn't planning on drinking on the trails, don't need to deal with any more DUI drama in my life.

I saw in the rubicon patrol brocure that they were warning against unsafe shooting, does that mean the sherriff's gonna get pissed about firearms? I tend to have the amex policy, and it includes in my trail rig, but it's typically just a pistol loaded with snakeshot, so it's reasonably inconspicuous, and I can do plenty of shooting in my backyard, won't be shooting on the trail unless I have a need to.

Thanks again for the help!

Mike

#4 ·
Mike-

I got your pm... sorry I slacked on replying :embarassed: I don't know anyone going the 26th when you're going. Although we are going the weekend before and after the 26th... you need to give me a better heads up next time :flipoff2:

If you guys get on the trail in the day time, I'd say your chances are real good of finding your way via tire tracks and oil stains :( and through talking to people... but don't START the trail at night... that is a for sure recipe to get really lost during the first 1/2 mile of trail. Getting to the trail head is really easy, I wouldn't sweat that... heck "loon lake" is map questable ;)

Do you have or have access to a hand held gps unit? I know there are coordinates for the entire trail available... I don't have them... but that would probably be a big help for when you gotta figure it out on your own.

The trail is well traveled and in the day light it's pretty easy (in my opinion) to follow... the only spots that get iffy are the big granite areas... mainly the Granite bowl shortly after what used to be "gate keeper" and between spider lake and buck island.

My first trip with my friends... no one in the group had done the whole trail... but we found our way through following the beaten path and asking for help here and there.

Since the lawsuit enforcement... I honestly have not been up there. I'm not even sure where the "legal" trail is in some places anymore :rolleyes: I know where you can drive... but who knows if that's the "trail" anymore :rolleyes: Mainly refering to the granite bowl area.

#5 ·
Done three trips up there this year and it has been my observation that if you stay clear of the areas marked off by the red carsonite posts and stay clear of the vegetation and are trying to stay within an area resonably within the 25' trail easement, you won't get a ticket. For example, I saw a USFS tech in Buck Island ticket someone for trying to climb the walls just this side of the dam (doing obvious resource damage wheel hopping and digging in the dirt with rear tires). The same tech warned folks on the spur roads to the camps along the lake and gave them the opportunity to move without a ticket (because they aren't clearly marked as "not" the trail). While you are camping, your vehicle must be parked on the trail or within a reasonable distance so as not to block the road, create a safety hazard, or cause resource damage. You can camp farther away from the road but the vehicle must stay by the road.

As for firearms, you are allowed to carry and discharge a firearm, but you may not discharge in an unsafe manner, across a road, or within 400' of a residence, campground or camping area, or trail.

You can pee on the ground, no problem. Just keep it out of the watercourse (as you mentioned) and please no toilet paper gardens.

#6 ·
DR-

No biggie man, you're not the local guy that slacked on me... my bro has been planning to make this trip with me since Christmas, and he backed out. My plan is to run the trail on Saturday, is it reasonable to run it in one day? I figure hit the trail head super early in the morning and get unloaded and go for it.

What do I do about trailer parking? I'll have my tow rig and trailer and need to be able to leave them, then have someone bring them to the end of the trail and pick me up. My mom will probably cover that for me. Is there a place at loon to park trailers?

I do have a handheld GPS, and was gonna get a topo and plot out all the waypoints I could find on it and take it with me.

What's the "lawsuit enforcement?" Something I should know about here?

Do I have to be a registered and insured vehicle to drive the con, since it's a county road and all? My rig does have a VIN number, but it's not titled or insured or registered at all. I still have the TX license plate that came off of it, I could put it back on, but it is dead in the TX system if they were to try and run the plate..

PM me or email me your number, would like to run through a few things and typing them is too slow. Email is mike@foleydevelopments.com

Resqme -

TP is not a problem, wife knows how to drip dry :) Firearms discharge is no problem, unless shooting a rattlesnake counts as unsafe manner.

I'll be trying to keep a pretty low profile, no wheel spinning or running off the trail for me, as long as it's well marked I'll be on it.

Thanks guys!

#7 ·
Trailer parking at Loon - your best choices are either at the staging area by the kiosk or at the chalet (see here http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492256 ). I realize if you've never been to the trail before you probably have no idea about the location of the kiosk or chalet, but I'm sure maps/pictures can be provided.

If you get there early enough you'll find parking at the kiosk. Some people park along the road, which is legal in some places, but it's way more convenient to park at the chalet and drive the extra 1/2 mile or so on the dual-designation road. Plus then you aren't blocking the road loading and unloading etc.

If your vehicle does not have current registration or green sticker than you cannot legally be on the trail. It's that simple. I believe you can get out-of-state green sticker easily enough (off-highway use only), but I don't have the details on it. Yes, law enforcement on the trail do check for valid registration and WILL write you a ticket.

Please read the information on the FOTR website, as well as the Trail Patrol brochure at http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498122

Please obtain a sanitation device that will allow you to pack out all solid human waste and TP. There are several good products available to handle this.

Doing the trail in one-day on your first trip? It sounds like you have capabile vehicles, but without knowing your experience level, I would recommend a more liesurely goal of 2 days or more. Plan on enjoying as much of the trail as you feel comfortable with. Plan on things breaking and not going as planned. If the prudent thing to do is to turn around and head back out, go for it and don't worry about it.

If you can hook up with an experienced group, I always think that's best for the first time.

The lawsuit is affecting everyone's use of the trail. Some lines/bypasses that have been in use for 30+ years are no longer legal and many are not blocked or signed as such. Many folks are still using some of these paths where they are not signed, but do so at risk of obtaining a ticket.

The granite slabs and bowl are areas that are easiest to lose the trail, but just remember to keep an eye out for black rubber and follow it. From Loon, the slabs and bowl are marked with reflectors. Please follow them.

#8 ·
scotte said:
If your vehicle does not have current registration or green sticker than you cannot legally be on the trail. It's that simple. I believe you can get out-of-state green sticker easily enough (off-highway use only), but I don't have the details on it. Yes, law enforcement on the trail do check for valid registration and WILL write you a ticket.
Simple enough to get a non-resident OHV permit if you plan ahead:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481508

Have a great trip -- you will find Rubicon well worth the travel! :cool2:

Randii

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.