Cool Stuff on or near the Rubicon Trail - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Cool Stuff on or near the Rubicon Trail

This thread got me thinking...
/forum/rubicon-trail/610015-rubicon-questions.html

Every time I go up to the trail, if I'm not hurried to this or that work project, I notice something new... Rubicon is great 'wheeling, but it gets even better when you talk to other users, explore, and enjoy. No one user has seen it all -- all of us see different things each trip.

I'm betting this thread will go on for a long time, if we can get people to share some of their favorite spots. Yeah, I know some of the favorites are also secrets, but maybe you can share some of the not-so-secret stuff, or just a few of your 'secret spots.'

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
I don't have a favorite spot, but I have LOTS of spots I love... I'll share if you do.

To prime the pump -- due south of Walker Rock, on Walker Hill, a few hundred yards downhill, there's a great old campsite with a killer view down to Pleasant Lake. Park at the top of Walker Hill on the south side of the trail and hike down to nice camping... hike on down to Pleasant Meadow for a morning dip, or up to the hilltop that separates Loon/Pleasant Lake and Spider Lake for a good 360-degree view of more lakes than most people can name.

Randii
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jes

Member # 7575
Pictures say it all...

...that is my favorite spot, near Buck Island.
JV rally post #31.
Jes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
I recently had an opportunity to do some hiking. Left Wentworth and made it to the Springs in three hours. I was only "on" the trail from Little Sluice to below Thousand Dollar Hill. Got to see some cool stuff I don't normally see.

Also about had my butt handed to me. Seven foot brush and half a mountain later...........across a cliff and made it to Sluice. Had a swim along the way too.

Anyone know where the old cable crossing is?
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
You talking about the cable crossing Panther Creek at the end of Lost Trail?

If you follow the creek down the rocks, there are some large pools just before the creek dumps into the Rubicon River below the Springs. During the early summer, the water is nice and fresh, but about 70 degrees from running over the rocks. One of my favorite spots

Like Scott said, put your boots on!

I've done that walk too. About five ridges between the cable crossing and the Springs.

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Use Goodsearch and support the Rubicon Trail Foundation.
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 63600
There is a lot to see along the Rubicon road and all over the El Dorado forest. The only problem is you have to walk to a lot of it. I for one am not comfortable leaving my rig with in 25 feet of center of the road and giving some greenie the chance to vandalize it.
If you can meet up with the owners of Wentworth Springs , ask if you can see the carvings in the rocks and have them show you the old well area and the tree carvings. Also see if they know where the old gas pump was, and ask if they have any recollection of the camp fire storries and sing alongs by the old hotel. Ask if they rember who built it and when the A frame was built. there is soo much history on this section of land.
Please do not trespass with out permission. Be very respectfull of there property it is private.
Does any one know where the old ranger station was between Wentworth Springs resort and Wentworth springs camp ground.
Another sad subject about the Wentworth Springs property is what happened to the resort cabins. Any one rember. Hint, Loon lake.
rlwjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2587
Location: 38*45.859N 120*34.534W (N. Ca) Future location of beachfront property.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randii View Post
... hike up to the hilltop that separates Loon/Pleasant Lake and Spider Lake for a good 360-degree view of more lakes than most people can name.

Randii
I've driven there numerous times in the winter. (back when it was legal of course.)At night you can even see the glow of the tahoe lights, not to mention the delta valley and city beyond.
Aggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 37309
Location: crawling between what was Robb's Resort and Pollock Pines CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggro View Post
I've driven there numerous times in the winter. (back when it was legal of course.)At night you can even see the glow of the tahoe lights, not to mention the delta valley and city beyond.
Yeah, I took these a few years ago on the trail near Loon..
Attached Images

Last edited by MyBlueCruiser; 09-12-2007 at 01:17 AM.
MyBlueCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggro View Post
That's funny. I saw tracks headed up there and up towards devils peak in the middle of the winter maybe six or seven years ago. It never occurred to me til then to use the snow to take me places I couldn't go during the summer.

I took full advantage of my newfound knowledge.

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Old 09-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
I dunno if it is cool or not but the last time I was up I hiked and took pics of all the crosses, there are quite a few of em!

There was a bunch more and if you want to see something depressing I also took pictures of all the closed/no trespassing signs and fences

Last edited by Brandon; 09-12-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Hey Brandon, I recognize the others, but where is the one with the hubcap? Looks like between Ellis and the Postpile, but I don't think I've seen it.

N6YBH
-

Old 09-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
hubcap? You mean motorcycle sprocket (I think)?

Mike Muncus (sp?) I am pretty sure, and it is right when you drop into the bowl. I was camped just 100 yards away or so when the guy dropped off that ledge and leaned out getting crushed by his roll cage. My wife heard some guy in a yota died and she thought it was me. I actually went to his funeral - didn't know him or any of his friends but it somehow hit home anyway.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Gotcha, thanks, yeah couldn't tell exactly what it was.

I'll look for it. Know the ledge you're talking about, interesting story.

N6YBH
-

Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Back to top... Kurt's other post reminded me...
/forum/rubicon-trail/654473-how-fast-have-you-ran-rubicon.html

I'm stuck at a desk down here at the valley, with cabin fever... I know some of you have more good stuff?

Randii
Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
This isn't observation, but just up the trail by a place I know as Bear Camp (little camp in the trees just towards tahoe from observation). Looking across the canyon towards the mountain just north of Spider Lake...
Attached Images

N6YBH
-

Old 02-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Glorious picture, John.

I had to go off and search to find a picture of my own -- it doesn't show the view in, but it does show the backdrop and give you a taste. From this thread: /forum/rubicon-trail/479625-june-24th-work-day-kiosk.html this is Tinman's lady, Tink, overlooking the hidden canyon a short walk uphill from the Alligator Pit and Gatekeeper:

This is a cool little canyon that few people stop to see -- we're all excited to get on down the trail and get further into Rubicon. Tink is looking down on it from the top, but it is a cool, shady hike from the bottom, most summer days. The elevation change is about 200 feet, so if you hug the sidewalls, there's even pretty decent shade on a hot day.

Look at a topo map of Gatekeeper and follow the little canyon uphill to the east, it is a lush little grove with rocky slope to the south and steep face to the north. If you follow the south side, you'll find the quarry where Chinese laborers cut granite for the first stone dam over Gerle Creek (sited under the BIG dam that stands today). That goes back to the early 20th century, back before Loon Lake inundated the five lakes that preceded it. The canyon/quarry is a cool hike on a hot day, and it never fails to impress me what Chinese laborers could do with hand tools and black powder!

If you want a longer hike, drop down to the shore of Pleasant Lake and walk down to the neck where it merges with Loon Lake, then follow the shore back around to the dam.

Randii
Old 02-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Quick reminder for later -- maybe someone will tee this one up for me: Boy Scout Camp.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
DLD

Member # 16728
My favorite tree just a short walk from observation point:

DLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
How many of you have walked around Spider?

Pack a lunch, if you're running the shoreline, it is a LONG day...
...but WELL worth the trip! I used to cheat and take my canoe in -- I'm looking forward to doing more of that this year, though it is more work to hike the canoe up and in with the motorized access closed.

FWIW, there are a lot of little lakes near Rubicon, beyond just the obvious ones that you know: Loon/Pleasant/Spider/Buck. Take a topo and lace up those boots -- you'll enjoy the drive home that much more after hoofing it a bit!

Randii
Old 02-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
Quote:
Originally Posted by randii View Post
Quick reminder for later -- maybe someone will tee this one up for me: Boy Scout Camp.
Volley, Serve:

This picture OF LOON LAKE was taken from about where the Boy Scout camp was.

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
Under the dam anyone?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/trailreport..._powerstation/

Our partners: Falken Tire, Vegas 4x4, CRAWL Magazine, Reid Racing, Metal Cloak, MJ Motorsports, Jessie Haines Fabrication, SFS Industries, Susanville Transmission, Pacific Fabrication, Raceline Wheels, Outlaw Grafix, The Kyburz Krawlerz, and Keith's credit card.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188

Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
someone say "boy scout camp"?

Old 02-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #24 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
You shouldn't have gotten me started here Randii....

Doing a little bit of research, I did not know a B-17 went down in 1941 up there....not EXACTLY by the 'Con, but close, Tells Peak:

Wreckage is still there:

Old 02-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
Check out this map from 1880, it has a propsed narrow-gauge railroad going from Georgetown, and past Loon...

Man, if THAT woulda happened, how history would be different:

I found another very detailed, very cool, 1915 map of Eldo in my searching. It looks like there was a lookout in the Silverfork area...my club's stomping grounds. Gonna have to go see if there are any ruins in the woods on our April trip randii......

Last edited by Kurtuleas; 02-05-2008 at 02:05 PM.