Camping at Buck Island? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 94522
Camping at Buck Island?

Is camping allowed at Buck Island Lake? I'm specifically wondering about the area where there are trees and a wooden table set up near the dam (aka Mechanics Area)? Are you allowed to bring your vehicles down in there?

If that's part of the area where you are supposed to keep your vehicle within 20' of the trail, how do you find the center of the trail? I couldn't find any markings out that way?

Thanks for any and all help!
Diane
Number 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 2037
You can camp there but your vehicles will need to stay next to the trail. The 25' rule applies so do your best to meet that requirement. In my experience, if you keep your rigs on the rock slabs adjacent to the trail you should be ok.

'86 CJ7, ProRock60's, 4.88's/Detroits/35 Spline Alloys/CTM's, TBI 350, 700R4, 4:1 D300 w/Twin Stick, 17" x 8.5" Trail Ready HD Aluminum beadlocks, 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT's

Dysfunctional Rockcrawlers (TDO)

Wheelers for the Wounded of California
Rubicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 42245
My understanding is that they acknowledge the Buck Island area as a key camping area and don't hold people to the 25 feet. The purpose of the rule is to discourage cherry stem proliferation along other parts of the trail.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncdawg View Post
My understanding is that they acknowledge the Buck Island area as a key camping area and don't hold people to the 25 feet.
To my knowledge, the complete trail is subject to the 25' rule including the Mechanic's area at Buck Island. I'm sure someone will post up a claification.

'86 CJ7, ProRock60's, 4.88's/Detroits/35 Spline Alloys/CTM's, TBI 350, 700R4, 4:1 D300 w/Twin Stick, 17" x 8.5" Trail Ready HD Aluminum beadlocks, 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT's

Dysfunctional Rockcrawlers (TDO)

Wheelers for the Wounded of California
Rubicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncdawg View Post
My understanding is that they acknowledge the Buck Island area as a key camping area and don't hold people to the 25 feet. The purpose of the rule is to discourage cherry stem proliferation along other parts of the trail.
Any leeway depends on who is enforcing the rules... the rule is to park next to the trail.

If you park anywhere else, you take your chances...

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
The reality is roads are not a set width. Think of the last time you ever drove down a road that did not have some sort of stuctured turnout. It never happened because turnouts are a reality.

The reality at that spot is, it is a turnout and therefore wider than 50 feet, upon even closer examination, I bet a tape measure says it is in fact very close to 50 feet anyways.

Bottom line, stay on the rock in the area next to the Mechanics pit and if you are cited, fight it and win.

Rubicon Trail Foundation is most interested in details of any cites or court cases regarding this. If you get a ticket, and you feel you were doing your best to comply with the rules, we want to hear about it.

Compiling this kind of evidence is the best way to make change.

Scott
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 15043
i will share with you guys something i experienced this summer while camped at buck. was at the mechanics area where the outhouses and wooden tables are.camped for a couple of days. jeep was parked about 10 paces from trail on rock slabs. the morning we left i backed the jeep up to my camp to load all my camping gear,ice chest,clothes,etc up so i could leave. people that have seen me on the trail know how much crap i pack for a trip to the con. after i packed all my gear i picked up cig.butts(i don't smoke) small pieces of tinfoil,plastic caps off milk jugs etc. the campsite was pretty clean to begin with-i try to leave a camp site cleaner than i found it if possible.some guys approached my camp wanting to know if i could give them some welding rod-they were camped a couple of hundred feet from me. some of the guys i was with were still packing their rigs so i left camp with my rod container so they could pick which type of rods they wanted(i carry about 10lbs worth for various types of metals). what i didn't do is pull my jeep forward from camp and park it next to the trail first. when i returned about 10-15 minutes later all my friends rigs were now parked next to the trail and 2 forrest rangers were standing next to my jeep waiting for me to get back. they were very polite and professional. they could have given me a ticket but gave me a warning instead. the people i camped with had already told them my jeep had been legally parked for a couple days and was only parked there to load my camping gear before i was distracted momentarily by some strangers needing some welding rod to repair a vehicle.i got lucky that day-the rangers were very fair with me and i won't make that mistake again. if i ever see them on the trail again and they need food,water or help of any kind i will do what ever it takes to take care of them or any other forrest service personell on the trail. while i am talking about this subject i have a question-i have heard it is o.k. to break the 25 ' rule to unload and load vehicles only-once done vehicle must be parked next to trail to remain legal. the rangers at buck were telling me that that would be frowned upon and and a vehicle should be parked legally next to the trail and all gear should be carried to a distant campsite.i am o.k. with this-but sometimes my back will bother me at the end of the day and hauling all that heavy stuff out of my rig and carrying it couple hundred feet does help it at all. can someone here clarify this one way or another or is it left up to the individual officers disgression?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 92817
The operative term here is "officer's disgression". If that were allowed then you would see tons of "cherry stemming" along the trail. I always stay within the easment and pack my crap in. It just goes to show that if you're not an ass to the LEO's then you will most likely get fair treatment (but not always..err poo cleanup 2008)
Old 01-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 6583
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless steal dave View Post
while i am talking about this subject i have a question-i have heard it is o.k. to break the 25 ' rule to unload and load vehicles only-once done vehicle must be parked next to trail to remain legal. the rangers at buck were telling me that that would be frowned upon and and a vehicle should be parked legally next to the trail and all gear should be carried to a distant campsite.
A couple years ago I watched a guy in my group get a citation for this exact thing. He backed down towards a campsite to unload, he wasn't going to leave the vehicle there.

Even though he was polite, the FPO was an ass and lectured him about how he has done *twice* the resource damage (to bare dirt) since he pulled in and pulled back out.

Glad you got a warning.

Regards,
....Mike
Old 01-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Hey Dave, was it a tomboy-ish young female and a bearded guy about her age that you encountered? If so, those two have a history of being firm, but fair, writing big tickets for big offenses (way off trail, big resource damage, etc.) and being reasonable about warning people.

I saw them throw the book at a couple of backpackers in Spider Lake last year who were having a fire without a permit...

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Use Goodsearch and support the Rubicon Trail Foundation.
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 15043
Quote:
Hey Dave, was it a tomboy-ish young female and a bearded guy about her age that you encountered? If so, those two have a history of being firm, but fair, writing big tickets for big offenses (way off trail, big resource damage, etc.) and being reasonable about warning people.

I saw them throw the book at a couple of backpackers in Spider Lake last year who were having a fire without a permit...
i have seen the 2 rangers you are talking about at buck on july 4th weekend and talked to them briefly and they were cool. the 2 rangers involved with my infraction were both female. they were also pretty cool. the ironic part of this incident is that i argued with some of the guys i was with to park their vehicles within 25' of the trail once they unloaded their gear which they did-i didn't want to have our image of off highway vehicles get any more tarnished than it already is-negative publicity is not helping our cause to keep what is left of our trails open.everybody was legally parked the entire time we camped at buck until the morning we left-and then i blew it.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 107
Send a message via AIM to The Jerk Send a message via MSN to The Jerk Send a message via Yahoo to The Jerk
dave-

you are old and should hire a young guy to carry your gear, lol

ive been told its not ok to drive to a camp spot and unload beacase you will return to pack up thus causing double impact. again, up to the protroler person.

Dave id love bring my little jeep on on of your trips somewhere. recent pic - http://rockzombie4x4.vforums.co.uk/b...y-trip#reply-9

j
Old 01-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless steal dave View Post
i have heard it is o.k. to break the 25 ' rule to unload and load vehicles only-once done vehicle must be parked next to trail to remain legal.
Station Wagon has this correct, that discretion while loading/unloading is just that: discretion. This is frustrating, but if you park anywhere other than right next to the trail, you take your chances... FWIW, I'll agree with Scott, that this sort of ticket might be beat in court, but Im parking pretty close to the trail, when I pull off... it just ain't worth the risk.

What is frustrating is that we've heard 25 feet on either side, or 50 feet wide... and that's a dimension discussed in a county document not fully released, but the likely enforcement guideline will be the 'one vehicle length' as documented in the Final Rule.

Randii
Old 01-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 15043
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
dave-

you are old and should hire a young guy to carry your gear, lol

ive been told its not ok to drive to a camp spot and unload beacase you will return to pack up thus causing double impact. again, up to the protroler person.

Dave id love bring my little jeep on on of your trips somewhere. recent pic - http://rockzombie4x4.vforums.co.uk/b...y-trip#reply-9

j
ya got that "old"part right jim L.O.L i'd go whelling with you anytime. nice jeep. i was snow wheeling on iron mountain road 2 weekends ago in my LT1 powered toyota truck.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 95253
There needs to be a white caulk line down the middle of the road .
chevyjepp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyjepp View Post
There needs to be a white caulk line down the middle of the road .
AAAAGH! Don't give them any ideas!

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Old 01-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 19251
Quote:
AAAAGH! Don't give them any ideas!
Can I put reflectors on it?
Old 01-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 4083
Oh don't forget the GUARDRAILS.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 32380
While we are at it lets pave it.
YJmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 347
You'll have to plow it first!

Randii
- [B]KOH Pledge Drive:[/B] for [URL="http://tinyurl.com/ygcorbv"][COLOR="Red"]4405 KOH Pledge #4[/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE][/I]
Old 05-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 94522
Hey, thanks everybody for the input. I'll use my best judgement when the time comes.

diane
Number 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 133720
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJmonkey View Post
While we are at it lets pave it.

don youll need it paved for your rig
Old 05-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 101763
I have a question. What about when the jeepers jamboree is in there. How do they get away with that?
Wood Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Butcher View Post
I have a question. What about when the jeepers jamboree is in there. How do they get away with that?
Get away with what, specifically?

N6YBH
-

Old 05-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 24813
After spending all day at the Water Quality Control board meeting and hearing over and over again “we do not know exactly where the trail is” I have to ask how can one be ticketed for being more than 20ft from the trail if no one knows where the trail is?
On resource damage, when hauling gear to and from camp, do you create more damage dragging your gear to and from camp than two set of tire tracks?
I do not drive off of the trail just asking.
kcjeep6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.