2meters or dual band? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 24377
Send a message via Yahoo to Dickdog
2meters or dual band?

2meters or dual band

I did a search and found the frequency for the repeater for the con and its 2m, also most of the other frequencies that I see are of the 2m band too.
So my question is..
Is there I good reason to have that second band ? I am mostly going to use my radio for trail use only .

Any input would be helpful.

Buildup thread [url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540218[/url]

[CENTER][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Lime"]I wheel toyotas and fix jeeps for a living!
[SIZE="6"]JV #589[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[SIZE="3"]I read more than I post!!! [/SIZE][CENTER][/CENTER]
Dickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Phobohomic

Member # 55687
While it is true that most of the popular repeaters around the valley and Tahoe are 2 meter, the actual Rubicon repeater at Spider is 70 cm.

The "Eldo" 146.805, is usually the default used by most folks and has great coverage. The Rubicon is 444.987 and covers dead zones in the Eldo. That's why a bunch of people put a bunch of work installing it.

The Rubicon is also linked to the Eldo so (using different tone code) you can get out to the Eldo from places Eldo doesn't cover. Works the other way too, with Rubicon retransmitting Eldo.

The main advantage to Rubicon is it covers a lot of the trail, but doesn't tie up the Eldo. Most folks use simplex and only switch to a repeater to respond or call outside.

R.I.P. Dennis Mayer. W2DWM. Rubicon Rock Head & Pirate of the Rubicon.
fermentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentor View Post
The Rubicon is 444.987 and covers dead zones in the Eldo. That's why a bunch of people put a bunch of work installing it.
Great info, Dale! I have several single-band and dual-band setups, but when I'm on Rubicon, I sport the dual-banders for the above reason.

I want to talk about Dale's last line, though, because it did indeed take a LOT of work,and I feel like blowing a few horns for a few folks. Rubicon Trail Foundation's John Arenz planned and worked this issue for more than a year, laying out a strategy that involved Jeep Jamboree, Jeepers Jamboree, Jeep Jamboree USA, the Rubicon Trail Partnership (property owners at Spider), and Frank Yost, who owns the 146.805 repeater... and of course, the Foundation, itself. The repeater vault and improvements to it were funded by a combination of the above folks, and John deserves huges credit in pulling together the plan for funding and approval, in conjunction with the Foundation.

After John had done all the heavy lifting, he still had to engage the 'light' details of 10,000 pounds worth of concrete and supplies, and he turned to our Logistics stud, Dennis Mayer. Dennis and John worked with RTF and FOTR volunteers and contacts from as far away as LA to plan, deliver, and install the Rubicon Repeater Vault. Over the course of three major FOTR/RTF work weekends, with three dedicated RTF work weekends, the vault came together: floor, walls, roof, then tower, before the Rubicon Repeater fired up successfully.

Dennis was hugely proud of his involvement in this -- and drove nearly 200 individuals to get their ham license, beyond just helping with the vault. John Arenz was a hero in this, as well, and I remember both of them well whenever I key up the Rubicon Repeater or the JJ commercial box... these systems work well because of cooperation, hard work, and good design. I have yet to find a spot that does NOT receive well between Gatekeeper, Wentworth, and Observation point, and I have been stomping around on the trail and points in-between plenty, testing it out.

This repeater, the cooperation, and the expense was a huge milestone of cooperation on the Rubicon, led by John, Dennis, and the Rubicon Trail Foundation. Every time it gets used to call in repair parts or emergency medical evacuation -- it pays for itself again.

Randii
Randy Burleson
President, Rubicon Trail Foundation
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 55622
Thumbs up

Not to get sidetracked here, but Dennis was very proud of his work here and his work with getting people qualified on Ham.

Lots of good work here by John also, and you should be very proud of this work and the station up here.

I still have to get my Ham license yet, and will soon as a dedication to Dennis.

Can we dedicate the building to Dennis and put a sign on it with his name?

Todd

Access Army Air Warrior
Sponsored by:
[URL="http://www.raceline.com"]Raceline Wheels[/URL],
[URL="http://www.currieenterprises.com/"]http://www.currieenterprises.com/[/URL]
BFG, ARB, Advance Adapters, Hi Lift Jack, Rocky Trail Outfitters, Camel4x4.
navy-jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
WeBilt 4x4

Member # 33065
That's a great picture of Dennis! I am a Ham thanks to him.

JDunn
KI6TLZ

WeBilt 4WD Club
JDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 96
Send a message via AIM to Disco Send a message via Yahoo to Disco
After seeing that pic my allergies are starting up!!!

We miss you Dennis!!

Tim
KI6TMC

Last edited by Disco; 08-14-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Phobohomic

Member # 55687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
After seeing that pic my allergies are starting up!!!

Tim
KI6TMC
Same here. Must be epidemic................

R.I.P. Dennis Mayer. W2DWM. Rubicon Rock Head & Pirate of the Rubicon.
fermentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
:sniff:
Old 08-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 67981
And can't fail to mention Barb

After I met John and Barbara Olson-Arenz in a VLLS class, and they had just licensed the first batch of Rubicon folks, I asked how to get some Friends of The High Lakes folks licensed.

Barb and John came down to Paradise and Chico, four times; once in a terrible snow storm and helped us license some 50 local folks, so now we use ham rigs for our mountain.

Without Barb and her strong teaching skills, and a powerpoint presentation, which she also so gladly gave to us for our future efforts in licensing, and Johns strong technical skills we wouldn't be where we are today.

We are now into the deep process of permitting and building our own repeater tower patterned after the Spider tower, with Gary McElroy as Team Captain, and Trustee..

So, I needed to chime in that without Dennis's dream, and Barb and John's teaching and technical skills, we are finally able to get effective comms, where cell and CB are both extremely limited.

We have a VE team set up, too, so along with Barb's powerpoint we hope to license a few more to help, even more.

So, here's to Dennis, Barb and John, my humble hat is off.

Because of the OP's question, I could mention that because of the Beale A.F.B. PAVE / PAWS issue and its proximity to us, the 70 cm / 440 bands are near useless except at extremely low power for us. So dual band for here is nearly useless, but just might have some linking possibilities, at very low power, maybe 0.5 watts .

Oh, and the .805 repeater is strong from most of the higher points in The High Lakes, and especially where our repeater will be planted.

Ken

Last edited by Pantheus; 08-14-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Pantheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Thanks folks, high praise indeed from a distinguished group.

Here's the full info on Rubicon ham stuff. Of course, this is for licensed amateurs only!!!

How it Works:

The KA6GWY repeater system is comprised of three transmitters and a multitude of receivers. Keep in mind that this is the primary EL Dorado County Search and Rescue Team repeater, so courtesy should be shown them if they have a SAR mission going. It should be used as follows:

146.805 mHz, 0.0600 mHz split, PL 123.0 The main KA6GWY repeater, located in the Placerville area, it works well on the western slope of El Dorado County including the western side of the Crystal basin and in the Sacramento Valley. This is the appropriate repeater to use in these areas and is permanently linked to the repeater on the trail.

444.9875 mHz, +5.00 mHz split, PL 156.7 This is the Rubicon repeater, boasting year around hand-held coverage on all of the Rubicon Trail. It should be used in the Rubicon for talking from one area of the trail to another. Note that there is a receiver for the 146.805 permanently linked to the repeater so all of the 146.805 traffic will be heard.

444.9875 mHz, +5.00 mHz split, PL 107.2 The same repeater listed above, but using a different PL will cause the Rubicon repeater to connect a transmitter to the 146.805 repeater, thus linking the two repeaters. This repeater should be used to contact emergency services or to talk to an amateur radio operator outside the Rubicon on the 146.805 repeater.

145.605 mHz, +0.600 mHz split, PL 123.0 This is the Tahoe basin repeater. It is permanently linked to the 146.805 repeater and works well in most areas of the Tahoe Basin as well as in some side canyons.

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Use Goodsearch and support the Rubicon Trail Foundation.
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 24377
Send a message via Yahoo to Dickdog
great info. thank you... plus I want to say thanks to all the people that help build the repeater.
I haven't bought my radio yet but have had my lic. for about a month.
KJ6BJM

Buildup thread [url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540218[/url]

[CENTER][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Lime"]I wheel toyotas and fix jeeps for a living!
[SIZE="6"]JV #589[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[SIZE="3"]I read more than I post!!! [/SIZE][CENTER][/CENTER]

Last edited by Dickdog; 08-14-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Dickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 89
Send a message via MSN to Whitewater Send a message via Yahoo to Whitewater
Oh man this thread is helpful.

Thank you!
KI6MLE

"Having too many 'things', American's spend their hours and money on the couch searching for a soul. A strange species we are... If I wanted to destroy a nation, I would give it too much and I would have it on it's knees, miserable, greedy and sick." -John Steinbeck
Whitewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by randii View Post
Dennis was hugely proud of his involvement in this -- and drove nearly 200 individuals to get their ham license, beyond just helping with the vault.
BTW, that number of folks trained is well over 300 now, thanks to Barb and John's tireless work, and RTF's continuous support. I'm stoked to attend FOTR work weekends and hear the chatter inside the Rubicon of organizations, clubs, and individuals who love the Rubicon hard at work together... I know Dennis is proud!

Kudos again to all involved, especially John and Dennis, for the cooperation, hard work, and good design.

Randii
Randy Burleson
Rubicon Trail Activist, Donor, Volunteer

p.s. - we still owe the property owners delivery on our commit to rock-line the outsides of the vault to help it blend in. I hope to help accomplish that this summer!
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 142347
Ham class and new students

Quote:
Originally Posted by randii View Post
BTW, that number of folks trained is well over 300 now, thanks to Barb and John's tireless work, and RTF's continuous support. I'm stoked to attend FOTR work weekends and hear the chatter inside the Rubicon of organizations, clubs, and individuals who love the Rubicon hard at work together... I know Dennis is proud!

Kudos again to all involved, especially John and Dennis, for the cooperation, hard work, and good design.

Randii
Randy Burleson
Rubicon Trail Activist, Donor, Volunteer

p.s. - we still owe the property owners delivery on our commit to rock-line the outsides of the vault to help it blend in. I hope to help accomplish that this summer!

Randi count me in on the lining of the vault just tell me when to be there.

I Have to once again say thanks for the oppotunity to ham it up and remember it started with dennis, and continues with the help from John and Barb.

Thanks again...

Patrick McCuiston
KJ6CXC