LEO Posts (staged from DUI thread) - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 138652
What will the LEO's do if I show up with my rig with one Minnesota Collector plat as Mn only issues one Collector plate?
Richard R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 993
Anyone have a link to the easiest way to dual reg. a vehicle.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #53 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post
Anyone have a link to the easiest way to dual reg. a vehicle.
Links are in Post 24 of this very thread!
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=24
Mike, I think the P-ville office is actually starting to get this figured out pretty well... they don't have to deal with it every day, like most of their questions, but they are getting it more often.

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #54 (permalink)
Mom Says I'm Special

Member # 26857
Send a message via MSN to Fawk Awph
i green stickered my truck this afternoon, even though it was an out of state title from when i lived in oregon it was super easy. they will want to see the vehicle and make sure its what you say it is, then for me it was $50, and i was ready to roll.

im houding my roomate to stickers his D50 before MCR, and im also trying to get kyle to dual reg his truck as well.

Last edited by Fawk Awph; 08-19-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Fawk Awph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #55 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
FYI, the DMV internal manual section is now 30.650. It has changed since the previous thread was written.

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Use Goodsearch and support the Rubicon Trail Foundation.
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 993
I knew I just saw it somewhere recently I have green stickered rigs in Pville before but never tried to dual reg. one.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 72494
That means I have to put a mirror on my drivers door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefCakeScout View Post
I was, but if you won't kiss me after I blow you then i'll find someone else
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=317103
77bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 90749
Registration

First off, thanx Randi for the posts listing the appropriate laws.

If you haven't heard yet EDSO is patrolling the "con" and making numerous contacts for a variety of violations. While many may think that windshields and registrations are "CS" and unworthy of our time, it is these types of violations that justify our stopping the various vehicles to check further and to say hi. Are there more heineous violations out there than the expired registration, absolutely, but the minor violations lead to the more dangerous violations that we are really looking for i.e. open containers, DUI, weapons, etc.

To finalize, if you are driving a vehicle that is green stickered, then only those equipment requirements need to be met. If your driving a highway registered vehicle then all of the applicable equipment requirements need to be met, including current registration, front plates, windshields, and yes even insurance and valid drivers licenses.

If you have any questions please feel free to talk to the deputies working out there, I can guarantee you none of them have any type of chip on their shoulders and will many times be glad to answer your questions, just be mindful that if they are already dealing with someone on another issue, don't interrupt and they will be glad to get to you as soon as they can.

As always, if I can assist the best way to contact me is by my personal email of lawman090@sbcglobal.net or work email of mortonb@edso.org

Wheel safe
lawman090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #59 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
So Bernie,

If I am driving my dual registered vehicle on the Rubicon with the windshield folded down, am I getting a ticket for driving my street registered vehicle without a windshield or no ticket because I am green-stickered?

Thanks!

EDIT: apply this question to a different hypothetical violation if you like, windshield folded just came to mind...

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Last edited by resqme; 08-19-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:02 AM   #60 (permalink)
I make websites!

Member # 12429
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
So Bernie,

If I am driving my dual registered vehicle on the Rubicon with the windshield folded down, am I getting a ticket for driving my street registered vehicle without a windshield or no ticket because I am green-stickered?

Thanks!

EDIT: apply this question to a different hypothetical violation if you like, windshield folded just came to mind...
Maybe better to know if window REMOVED and left in tow-rig... you towed your street legal/registered rig, and removed the windshield.

This I`m curious about.
Todd W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 136863
so i just got a street registration on my toyota crawler and that meens ive got everyting on it, mud flats, both plates, mirror,s doors, windows.
now when im on the trail im going to have all that stuff off because it gets in the way, (and mudflats look retarded anyway), so am i going to get cited for not having that stuff on my truck unless i have a dual registration with a green sticker too, along with my regular street registration?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:17 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 126704
YouTube - Cool Hand Luke clip

The dual registration thing - where street legal gets a ticket while on the Rubicon Trail while green stickers do not is morally and ethically bankrupt.

My front license plate got so beat up on the rocks last trip it will probably split apart the next trip. Oh I know, I'll build a special mount on the roof (yeah right ).

Think about what is being said here - the green sticker laws were created for off highway use recognizing that vehicles do not have to follow "street legal rules" while on trails. The legislature never intended this artifical distinction of street legal vehicles having to make believe the Rubicon Trail is a highway while green sticker does not.

Officiers are approved/suggested to do it - otherwise they would be told to stop, no sense arguing - stay silent and take it to court. It is cs hassle - don't push that junk if your front license plate is missing then you're likely a bigger criminal. If a cop wants to look someone over closer there are a thousand ways to do it without writing a ticket.

Want to hassle me, then hassle me but be honest about it - don't piss up my back and tell me its raining.

Edit: I'd say write the AG Jerry Brown and the ACLU but they're busy this month with the roadless rule Wait for some number of people to come forward with these tickets (6 to 10?). Could attempt to pry open the records for statistic history but likely will get refused. Dave Cox was voted "Outstanding Senator for 2007" by the California State Sheriffs' Association, get him and assemblyman Ted Gaines in the loop on this subject. Ask that the law be clarified or changed.

Last edited by chasinternet; 08-20-2009 at 02:14 AM.
chasinternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:02 AM   #63 (permalink)
Jes

Member # 7575
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman090 View Post
Are there more heineous violations out there than the expired registration, absolutely, but the minor violations lead to the more dangerous violations that we are really looking for i.e. open containers, DUI, weapons, etc.

That statement is absolutely absurd.
JV rally post #31.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #64 (permalink)
JW

Member # 222
Ya, not running a plate is definitely a "gateway drug". First you decide to just run down the local grocery store with no front plate this one time because you just have to get the cup of sugar. Next thing you know you are running no mud flaps on a 1mph trail and a "menace to society".

Everyone knows that if you are not running a front plate you are either a felon or gonna be one soon...

I can't wait to get up to the Rubicon to talk to the Sheriffs on the trail, NOT.

I have made a few mistakes on the road in the past and got caught. Although I have been pulled over maybe 7-8 times of my 20 years of driving experience, a few of those times have just resulted in a warning. A warning for an actual moving violation. Why so strict on license plates and other issues that are not really issues when using common sense? You don't have to issue a citation for stopping someone to say "no front plate please get one, oh btw have you been drinking". I don't any problem with leo's stopping people to ask questions if they are truly interested in "more dangerous violations".
marrying wisely and investing well-but they don't clear as many doubles."

budbuilt.com & highangledriveline.com

Last edited by JW; 08-20-2009 at 07:59 AM.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #65 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46467
Quote:
Edit...

If your driving a highway registered vehicle then all of the applicable equipment requirements need to be met, including current registration, front plates, windshields, and yes even insurance and valid drivers licenses.

Wheel safe
I have all of the above items met, but do I need to wheel with mud flaps on too?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #66 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Originally Posted by R290 View Post
I have all of the above items met, but do I need to wheel with mud flaps on too?
check this link on mudflaps: http://www.johnarenz.com/Mudflaps.html

It will explain when you need mudflaps or fenders. On the trail you shouldn't need them at all if you are dual registered.

N6YBH
-

Old 08-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 90749
Debate

While I could spend endless hours debating the validity of law enforcement on the con it would probably end up being that we will all agree to disagree on many of the points.

I don't believe anyone has been issued a citation simply for no front license plate, there may have been some warned, but no citations for that violation only.

If your going to have a street legal registered vehicle on the con you have to have the proper equipment. If you have a green stickered vehicle on the con, you need the proper equipment. If you don't agree with the law, attempt to change it.
You can dual register or simply green sticker the vehicle and have it towed to the con. If your dual registered we are going to generally allow for the less restrictive requirements of the green sticker in regards to equipment.

Some have already been critical of my earlier posting, if you don't agree with it thats fine but lets at least keep to the facts and not resort to name calling. I try to follow the events and issues of the con thru this site as much as possible and occasionally put up posts to help clarify any questions and to try and keep open 2 way discussions on those issues that affect the Rubicon Trail.

Wheel safe
lawman090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #68 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
If your dual registered we are going to generally allow for the less restrictive requirements of the green sticker in regards to equipment.
Thanks Bernie, that's what I wanted to know. This seems like the reasonable way to handle this.

N6YBH
-

Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #69 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd W View Post
Maybe better to know if window REMOVED and left in tow-rig... you towed your street legal/registered rig, and removed the windshield.

This I`m curious about.
So Todd, sounds like if you do this AND you are dual registered, they won't ticket you.

N6YBH
-

Old 08-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 94
Send a message via ICQ to ROCKLIMO
Quote:
To finalize, if you are driving a vehicle that is green stickered, then only those equipment requirements need to be met. If your driving a highway registered vehicle then all of the applicable equipment requirements need to be met, including current registration, front plates, windshields, and yes even insurance and valid drivers licenses.

OK, great info....BUT, does this statement mean that if you are highway registered( Rubicon Trail is a highway per CVC) and green stickered(dual registered) that your vehicle must meet all highway registered vehicle requirements while on the trail?

Randii, has the El Dorado County board of supervisors, or the authority having jurisdiction designated the portion of Wentworth Springs Road commonly known as the Rubicon Jeep Trail as a combined use as defined in sections 38026-38026.5 of the CVC? If not, then, well you know
Old 08-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #71 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46467
Thanks John, My rig is "street" registered only, and 100% street legal. I have huge mud flaps, as I hate driving my nice car behind people who don't! I've been pulling them off when on the trail to prevent damage to them. But sounds like it might be possible to get a ticket, and I fall into the group that just does not what the hassle.

Ok the FOTR work project is coming up this weekend and I will my run mud flaps

On a side note I will pretend I'm in the 70's and letting everyone know where the Smokey's are at too.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #72 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLIMO View Post
Randii, has the El Dorado County board of supervisors, or the authority having jurisdiction designated the portion of Wentworth Springs Road commonly known as the Rubicon Jeep Trail as a combined use as defined in sections 38026-38026.5 of the CVC? If not, then, well you know
It is combined use between the Chalet on loon Lake Road and Ellis Creek, as well as the traditional trail between Airport Flat and the County line at Rubicon Springs. It is NOT between Airport Flat and the beginning of dual use at Wentworth if you are on the newer paved portion, you must be on the traditional dirt route.

N6YBH
-

Old 08-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #73 (permalink)
Mom Says I'm Special

Member # 26857
Send a message via MSN to Fawk Awph
So would it be assumed that the leos would not hold up the flow of traffic on the trail when issuing citations. As in pull the offending vehicle(s) aside off the trail, or choose an area on the trail where passing is easy. You don't stop in the middle of the street when you get a ticket.

I would hate to see a HUGE traffic jam due to ticketing in a poor area of the trail, whereas there are many places with passing lanes.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #74 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Originally Posted by R290 View Post
Ok the FOTR work project is coming up this weekend and I will my run mud flaps
Running mud flaps when rock crawling sucks because it is SO easy to back up onto them and tear them off against a rock. In the long run, dual registration is the way to go.

I hear ya though...

N6YBH
-

Old 08-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 94
Send a message via ICQ to ROCKLIMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
It is combined use between the Chalet on loon Lake Road and Ellis Creek, as well as the traditional trail between Airport Flat and the County line at Rubicon Springs. It is NOT between Airport Flat and the beginning of dual use at Wentworth if you are on the newer paved portion, you must be on the traditional dirt route.
I am aware that it is combined use from chalet to kiosk and a small portion of WWS road at Airport flat but nowhere else. Read 38026 CVC.