Ranger FORCE - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 4565
Send a message via AIM to stoneyxj
Ranger FORCE

Up there this weekend and there were 4 rangers at the box "most" of the night. totally killed any mood that was going on. so really no one ran the box.

i minded my P's and Q's but seriously i don't go camping to really mind my P's and Q's. After this weekend i plan to limit my trips to the rubicon to maybe 2 a year, and from what it sounds like most of my friends are too.

there are much better trails to run without having to make sure there isn't a ranger behind the next tree.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
I'm sorry to hear that.

I have only met one of them - were they cool?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4565
there was some chick with short hair and an intern who looked scared out of his mind.. they were at ellis checking reg..

the 4 dudes at spider i tried not too talk too. (or any rangers at all)

in the past rangers were cool checking reg, just looking out. but this weekend i got the impression they were out for blood.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 39457
Honestly I dint feel that way. We talked to them and they were pretty cool. El Dorado Sheriff was at gatekeeper checking registrations on the way out. I think if you arent being a complete idiot they aren't going to mess with you. It was pretty funny, my group stoped and the rangers were talking to my buddy. I hoped out with my coozie and walked up to where they were. You should have seen them eyeing my coozie. I looked up and said its a pepsi. He said I know I can see the red on the can. Guy thought id be stupid enough to hop out of the drivers seat and walk up to them with a open beer. Think they were just trying to keep the peace.
gostr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4565
No in the past that's what they were doing. This year is beyond that. And actually they are making it worse and less peaceful.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 23319
Talking to their bossís, they are not out for blood, just out to keep the peace. Even in the great outdoors there are rules we all must follow. Sorry you think they are coming down on you, but we, the off-road community, were unable or unwilling to police ourselves. So big brother had to come in. I know RTF, FOTR and FOE are working with the USFS and both counties to keep the ĎConí open, clean, and safe for us to enjoy, unfortunately most of the other trails donít have such great and hard working groups. There is nothing wrong about having a good time, just with in the law. If you go to other trails and party it up, those trails will soon be swarmed with rangers or even worse, closed down. Please, for the sake of all our trails, mind your Pís and Qís on all the trails you enjoy.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4565
By keeping the peace u mean not using the trail. From the looks of it that's what I saw. Rangers come around show that they are the "force" and everyone leaves.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tahoe Side Guardian

Member # 12635
StoneyXJ,

I understand that you didn't enjoy your weekend due to the LEOs around the box:

They runined your mood; you thought they were out for blood; they were showing their force and somehow stopped you from using the trail.

The plain and simple truth is they were out there doing their job. If you were doing only what you were allowed to do, then the rangers would have nothing to do.

Please don't post stories like this unless there are facts and actions by the rangers to back it up.
www.TheOtherRubicon.com
Simple Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 12263
I saw the LEO's at 2:00am coming in on Sat morning they were nice and just checking for open containers and hammered drivers. Again saw and talked to them on Sat afternoon and watched them make a few passangers that had open beers poor them out without giving them a ticket... So....I think it all depends on how you act around them.

The rangers were a little diffrent that I met! The trail that comes into Eli's from McKinsrty SP? I think. 3 of them did a full run on 2 rigs that were coming from that direction and wrote tickets to them for being on that trail. I asked them about it and the one guy shoved a map at me and stated it's not on the map and it's closed! I just walked away as he didn't act like he wanted to talk. I later told several other jeeps headed out that way to watchout and they said something about a permit for the Auburn jeep club that allowed them to use this section.

Soo... the trail is closed with no signs stating that fact but there are people using it by permit and others are getting tickets? WTF

Member: Friends Of The Rubicon,Cal 4--wheel clubs Asso.,Blue Ribbion coalition, Motherload Rockcrawlers

Last edited by rockwrangler; 07-12-2010 at 12:40 PM.
rockwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
4x4 Consultant

Member # 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwrangler View Post
I saw the LEO's at 2:00am coming in on Sat morning there were nice and just checking for open containers and hammered drivers. Again saw and talked to them on Sat afternoon and watched them make a few passangers that had open beers poor them out without giving them a ticket... So....I think it all depends on how you act around them.

The rangers were a little diffrent that I met! The trail that comes into Eli's from McKinsrty SP? I think. 3 of them did a full run on 2 rigs that were coming from that direction and wrote tickets to them for being on that trail. I asked them about it and the one guy shoved a map at me and stated it's not on the map and it's closed! I just walked away as he didn't act like he wanted to talk. I later told several other jeeps headed out that way to watchout and they said something about a permit for the Auburn jeep club that allowed them to use this section.

Soo... the trail is closed with no signs stating that fact but there are people using it by permit and others are getting tickets? WTF

No surprise there........ Good trip Jerry?

Special Thanks to YUKON, BAJA DESIGNS.
UGET IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 94748
When I went out there on 4th of july I was really suprized at how few rangers there were, and they Eldorado Sheriff was the only one that I saw and they were really cool came up and started talking to us, informed us one of the pickups that was just there for camp not wheeling was a little to far off the trail and other than that they were really cool about everything. I cant believe they got rid of the sweet xj and 4runner for that jk tho.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 118798
So the road between McKinstry (sp) and Ellis is closed?? When did this happen?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Prospector

Member # 10770
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBonkers View Post
So the road between McKinstry (sp) and Ellis is closed?? When did this happen?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ighlight=14n05

Public Lands For the People
88bigvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 133720
i was doing the count at ellis. i had interaction with each of the LEOs, sheriff and rangers, i saw them give warnings mostly. However, I have heard that there was 3 DUIs given. there were a few citations for registration, i over heard one sheriff tell a guy at gatekeeper he would make the registration ticket a fix-it ticket and he would have 2 months to get it done. i think that was fair. yes it may suck that the presence of law enforcment can dampen a party. yet with the trail under the microscope these days we now more than ever need to lead by example. the scrutiny of the rubicon trail wont be going any where, there are too many groups to battle and to few of us fighting back. it saddens me that some users cant be responsible enoughf to account for there actions, the trail is a county road by definition and we have to respect that. its how they say you need to do the right thing when no one is looking, well some werent doing the right thing and now someone is looking. as crappy as that is now its the reality of it.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 4565
Here's the deal, I equate to this. When Iam at work I don't want my boss looking over my shoulder monitoring everything I do. I go wheeling/camping to get away from always getting the "eye ". so if rangers are out in force practically watching ever move I make, it makes it like a job and no fun.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 118798
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88bigvan View Post

Woops...had no idea. We've been base camping at McKinstrey for years. Guess we'll have to go in through Wentworth now...ah shucks!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 29
I understand the frustration about being watched, however I for one am glad the LOE and USFS is out there. The people that won't be coming up to the con because of the patrols are the people you don't want up there anyway. So what if people could not get drunk and make a mess in the little sluice. That is what got us put into this situation in the first place. If you are doing what is legal, and your ride is legal, don't trip about what is being done by the LEO. They will leave you alone.

Now if you are breaking the law, driving off the trail, drinking and driving, being a general asshat, well then you will have a problem with them.

Dima
Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneyxj View Post
in the past rangers were cool checking reg, just looking out. but this weekend i got the impression they were out for blood.
More details, please... are you talking about the Forest Service FPOs, the State Parks LEOs, or the Eldorado County Sheriff's Officer deputies?

IMHO, responsible users sticking to the routes documented on the map should have little concern. Folks can 'wheel in Little Sluice with no concern as long as they clean up after themselves.

Unless there's a specific problem to report, enhanced LEO is IMHO a necessary thing for the trail to enhance compliance to the remedies resulting from the Cleanup and Abatement Order (CAO) that could have closed the trail last year. FOTR, RTF, and the agencies are working together to ensure that they meet the requirements in the CAO and avoid closure in the future, as well... and that means more enforcement.

Randii

Last edited by randii; 07-13-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: fixed terminology
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Pat

Member # 120
Generally folks that are doing nothing wrong don't have a issue with them.. Not saying you were doing anything wrong..

I have zero problem with them there.. And by the numbers posted here as far as tickets given it looks like they are needed
Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 4565
Quote:
Originally Posted by randii View Post
More details, please... are you talking about the Forest Service FPOs, the State Parks LEOs, or the El Dorado County Sheriff

Unless there's a specific problem to report, enhanced LEO is IMHO a necessary thing for the trail to enhance compliance to the remedies resulting from the Cleanup and Abatement Order (CAO) that could have closed the trail last year. FOTR, RTF, and the agencies are working together to ensure that they meet the requirements in the CAO and avoid closure in the future, as well... and that means more enforcement.

Randii

This is what Merlin told me that's why they are there, and the byproduct of them being there is more tickets.
And it was 4 sheriffs I saw.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 1602
I met the Rangers and Sheriffs this weekend. They were cool to us and told us they wanted to keep the trail open also. They seemed sincere.

The first dui was a guy they had told not to drive his rig due to no reg. He showed up at the box with an open container and blew a 0.16. He was cited and released to his camp. Not taken out to jail. Someone was yelling at the Rangers from the bypass. I could not hear as I was at my Bronco helping weld up the Mog steering and my motor drowned them out.

The next guy was told the Rangers were at the box and drove in with an open container also. He also blew a 0.16. Cited and release also.

Can't really feel to sorry for them. They made their bed, now they get to lay in it.

*SOLD*
75 Ramcharger 440, blah, blah
*SOLD*

66 Welder Bill't Bronco Rockbuggy
06 CTD
87 Buick Grand National X2
65 Vista Cruiser GN Turbo V6 powered
440-fide Ramcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master Tinkerer

Member # 75774
what are they actually checking the registration for? expired? insurance? what?
Also if its green stickered.....then what?
oldtimingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimingman View Post
what are they actually checking the registration for? expired? insurance? what?
Also if its green stickered.....then what?
Rubicon Trail is a public road, and is managed as such.

The simplest approach:
* if your vehicle is street-licensed, then you need current registration and proof of insurance
* if your vehicle is OHV-licensed, then you need current registration
There are WAY more details, since vehicles in California are governed by the Califorina Vehicle Code, but the above simple bullets should keep you mostly in line.

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #24 (permalink)
Pat

Member # 120
Green stickers don't require insr. And I doubt they are asking anybody for insurance till after they have a reason to stop them in first place
Old 07-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Tahoe Side Guardian

Member # 12635
Quote:
This is what Merlin told me that's why they are there, and the byproduct of them being there is more tickets.
I doubt very much that Merlin told you the Sheriffs were "out for blood".

The byproduct of illegal behavior is a ticket. If there is no illegal behavior, there are no tickets regardless of how many LEOs are present.
www.TheOtherRubicon.com
Simple Man is offline   Reply With Quote