"Fees" on the Rubicon... - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 20872
Really surprised this wasn't done years ago. We're definitely in favor!

The anti-access people are certainly well-funded. We need to play by their rules and throw some money into keeping public lands open to the public! This would be a great income generator and would keep the land use battle at the front of everyone's minds since they'd see it every time they drove past the donation box.
race.mail@reidracing.biz
http://www.reidracing.biz
Built by racers for racers!
Made in the USA!
Reid Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 30586
Quote:
Originally Posted by renolaw View Post
A number of iron rangers were recently vandalized in a local nevada state park. Either the entire tube is taken or the crooks somehow got a bolt cutter to the lock. Good news is they were caught-- tweakers looking for a free lunch. The rangers set up a hidden camera to catch them in the act. One that was stolen was rammed repeatedly w/ a truck to dislodge the concrete base then they drug it home on a chain. Good idea here but its got to be very secure to deter the vandals and crooks.
I'm sure with all of our fabrication knowledge we can come up with something that can't be removed with anything short of a D9 or an excavator with a jackhammer.
rockcrawln is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 133720
Why not just relocate the donation package box and add a flyer or a lil more info on it. Less of a worry of being stolen.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 25026
Send a message via AIM to toyotachick86 Send a message via Yahoo to toyotachick86
if this does happen i feel that the spot should be at some overlook and not in the brush were that sign is so people will realize what they are donating to
toyotachick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Why is everyone thinking cash only.
That's the only concern for any donation box.

The envelopes we have now can simply be put in a more visible place than the kiosk.
That way, people can take the envelopes home and mail them with no worry about theft.

The biggest problem with the current system is the box not that visible(per the responses early in this thread from people that have been unaware of it for years) and it just says "Take one" so you don't know what it's about unless you actually investigate it.
As of this last weekend, the donation box is still in the same place on the kiosk:

Last edited by Yota Up; 07-10-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Yota Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 30586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Up View Post
Why is everyone thinking cash only.
That's the only concern for any donation box.

The envelopes we have now can simply be put in a more visible place than the kiosk.
That way, people can take the envelopes home and mail them with no worry about theft.

The biggest problem with the current system is the box not that visible(per the responses early in this thread from people that have been unaware of it for years) and it just says "Take one" so you don't know what it's about unless you actually investigate it.
As of this last weekend, the donation box is still in the same place on the kiosk:
The issue with the "Take One" approach is that people grab the envelope, head out on the trail and forget about it. Then the envelope gets destroyed, falls out (more garbage on the trail with our name on it), or ignored.

If you have an iron ranger there people put money in it right then and its done and taken care of. Plus, if you have to put postage on the envelope thats another PITA. I haven't bought a stamp in over a year. I would be MUCH more inclined to drop $10 or $20 in an iron ranger at the trail head or something than keep track of an envelope, put money in it, and find a mail box to mail it back. Another plus is that if we put up a visible enough sign we get the dirt bike / atv crowd giving money too which will add that much more money. If you have one at each end we might be able to get some money from the ATV tours that go in from the Tahoe side too.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #32 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by renolaw View Post
A number of iron rangers were recently vandalized in a local nevada state park. Either the entire tube is taken or the crooks somehow got a bolt cutter to the lock. Good news is they were caught-- tweakers looking for a free lunch. The rangers set up a hidden camera to catch them in the act. One that was stolen was rammed repeatedly w/ a truck to dislodge the concrete base then they drug it home on a chain. Good idea here but its got to be very secure to deter the vandals and crooks.
I know the Tellico (RIP ) fee tubes had similar issues from time to time as well...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 30586
Where were the tubes at Tellico? Were they at the trail head or on the trail? What if we put a tube at Little Sluice and Inspiration Point? That way you would have to actually be on the trail to get to them and probably a lot less likely for tweakers to break into them.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 30586
What ever happened to this idea? Did anyone ever look into this?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #35 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
Below is how County Counsel argued against Fees to the Water Board.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 30586
I thought we were talking about putting in an iron ranger to accept donations rather than a required fee. Something easier and more visable than the donation envelopes.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:53 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 142347
Iron ranger

I believe the simple thought on this entire thread is that the "donation" to RTF (not fee) should be a little bit easier to perform. My thought is this, Picture how you get fast food. YOU dont get out of your vehicle.. We need a way to make a DONATION easier. IF I had a Twenty spot on my dash then I could toss it in the steel tube and keep on Jeepin' with out missing a tune. When we enter the trail we are on a mission to get to camp. So stopping to get a envelope is usually a bit more of a task than a thoughtless process. Please dont get me wrong envelopes are great if they work for YOU but for others; a way to DONATE without getting out of your vehicle would be AWESOME!!!!

LET THE REMARKS BEGIN!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 30586
Quote:
Originally Posted by patjeepyj View Post
I believe the simple thought on this entire thread is that the "donation" to RTF (not fee) should be a little bit easier to perform. My thought is this, Picture how you get fast food. YOU dont get out of your vehicle.. We need a way to make a DONATION easier. IF I had a Twenty spot on my dash then I could toss it in the steel tube and keep on Jeepin' with out missing a tune. When we enter the trail we are on a mission to get to camp. So stopping to get a envelope is usually a bit more of a task than a thoughtless process. Please dont get me wrong envelopes are great if they work for YOU but for others; a way to DONATE without getting out of your vehicle would be AWESOME!!!!

LET THE REMARKS BEGIN!
I agree 110%. This is exactly what I was in one of my earlier posts. It's a lot easier and more likely for me to pull $20 outta my wallet and put it in the iron ranger than stopping, grabbing an envelope, putting money in it, and sending it off. I'll be the first to admit I'm a lazy bastid.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #39 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
We're listening and working on this. Lining up ducks for permission before we do it. Great ideas here, thanks!

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Use Goodsearch and support the Rubicon Trail Foundation.
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote