Reassurance!!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20205
Reassurance!!!

Sometimes, I guess we all questions what are we doing. Sometimes, I guess we all feel the inner itch to ask if we are doing the right thing for the right reasons. Sometimes, I guess we all want to know if we are on the right path and sometimes, I guess we all just need a little reassurance. I maybe coming off a bad road trip but I truly feel some hard questions need to be asked and more importantly ANSWERED.

With the August work party being so close some may consider this bad timing on my part but truly I feel the timing couldn't be better. Many, many good people have been and are continuing to give up personal time and finances to work for what they feel is a worthy and noble cause that they believe in and hold close to there hearts.

What I saw this afternoon was hard to swallow, honestly hard to look at, maybe mostly due to my passions for our special place being touched by government and what some may call outsiders. Maybe I'm blowing this up but still my feelings and thoughts remain. This maybe looked at as progress but this kind of progress isn't sitting well in my gut. I don't like this feeling. I don't like questioning whether or not I'm helping or hurting.

I get it! I understand the CAO, I understand the need to get things done but are we ultimately helping the County in turn help the Forest Service move towards their intended end game, what ever that may be? I personally placed rock in the Gatekeeper area as did many of you. Did I just aid in giving the county access to the area with heavy equipment? Is this fast becoming a leap frog exercise? We work on a small area allowing the County to move forward to the next previously inaccessible spot? I know, I know, the County is going to get in there one way or another and do what they feel is necessary to appease and fulfill the CAO but if that is the case then why in the world are we busting our asses? Of course I hear the answer coming....but Tim we need to keep our relationships in good order with the powers that be. Again, I get it but what I don't see is this relationship being a two way street. Maybe I missed it or maybe the information wasn't passed on to the mere mortals but when was the "Gatekeeper Gravel Road Project" discussed. This area, in my opinion got a lot more work done to it than just environmental concerns. It looks almost as if the DOT was looking to build a road, Oh wait they did!

I'll be at the upcoming work party and I will sweat and beat my brow along with anyone who has the desire to help but am I ultimately helping in the building of the next Yosemite? Am I helping in closing my access? Am I? Should I just wait a few years and jump on the God Dam TarMac (Black Top) machine myself? Maybe my boys can help with the Yellow Line application tool?

This next concern/question includes myself!!! Have we all become so dam caught up in our own personal and maybe in some cases professional agendas and cliques that we have begun to overlook the big picture? The reason we all started this to begin with? Have our cherished relationships with the "Powers that be" and "Cliques" sucked the passion to question right out of us? The passion to stand up and say "Hell No". This is all becoming very reminiscent of that God Forsaken little Island I grew up on.

Put all the BS and smokey back room crap aside and tell me. Where is this headed? If you are "in the know", share it, for that matter, bloody well scream it from the highest mountain. If you don't like someone or something, spit it out don't let it fester. We all have the same passion for the Rubicon Trail, property owner or Trail user and that is a bond that cannot be denied. We need to get our proverbial crap together and forget the small stuff. I don't have to like someone to work shoulder to shoulder with them for the greater good. Knowledge is power, let's share it. Note to self! Practice what you preach A hole.

This is happening people, this is happening now right in front of us. Worried about the "Sluice Box" are ya? I say this, we better start worrying about the rest of the trail right along with it, along with whats left of our Public lands. I for one am done piss farting around with this, lets get it done TOGETHER, UNITED!!!

We joked after the "Gatekeeper Explosions" when people exaggerated about driving Subaru's into the trail but I will tell you honestly that I would feel comfortable driving my cherry '71 bone stock CJ5 and bone stock FJ Cruiser right to the top of the bowl. Okay, may have to throw a couple of rocks for the POS Toyota but you get the point.

Reassure me, Reassure us!!! I wanna hear it, I need to hear it!!! Group hug whatever the hell it takes.

Rant Off,
Tim.

Last edited by Curly; 08-13-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Whos the hottie??

I can tell you that I saw the writing on the wall when I saw the first couple days work. I also was at the postpile with the County and I understand that FOTR is going to work the waterbars and I do not think the County will do any work there. How's that for reassurance?

John has said that he was worried that the County would pave over the work done by our volunteers. We need to work harder to make that point. It seems that there are a coupel good fixes in there but it is way too flat. Where is the pic of the In-n-Out and Starbucks??

I think this is the result of the equipment issues that have been going on. The rubber tracks are not holding up to the Rubicon. Who knew?

Scott
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
cruzila is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2010, 05:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jes

Member # 7575
I believe someone coined it "the on ramp" a while ago...
JV rally post #31.
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 19251
In photo number 4 it looks like they just built a dam
at the water bar that used to divert the seasonal creek across the trail into Alligator pit

Wish I still had my Dodge Neon beater, I'd be tempted to drive that to the top of the bowl just to prove a point.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 53626
Send a message via Yahoo to jtraver
time to take the Saturn wheeing
Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
Not a happy Bebe.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 90105
Let me say first I do not agree with what has happened to the trail here in these pictures, but I do have a question or thought about what is happening here. Based on videos and pictures from my grandparents that I have seen from their old trips on the rubicon back in the 50's and 60's what is different now? The trail used to be maintained like a cobblestone roadway. To me this new change is nothing new that has not happened before, it just has been forgotten for a while.

I am by no means in favor of it, I still remember my first trip through the old gatekeeper many years ago and thinking "Holy Crap" what have I gotten myself into, and will always remember that day and wish it was still like that.

Just my .02
Snow4Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2037
Thanks for the report and wake-up call Tim. I've been of the opinion that we've had a working partnership with the County but it looks like I was wrong. A lot of hard working volunteers busted their butts to haul rock and fill in low spots and it just makes me mad as hell that their work was simply "paved" over. I'll be there next weeked but we need to hash this out

'86 CJ7, ProRock60's, 4.88's/Detroits/35 Spline Alloys/CTM's, TBI 350, 700R4, 4:1 D300 w/Twin Stick, 17" x 8.5" Trail Ready HD Aluminum beadlocks, 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT's

Dysfunctional Rockcrawlers (TDO)

Wheelers for the Wounded of California
Rubicrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Team 4554

Member # 23188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow4Phil View Post
Based on videos and pictures from my grandparents that I have seen from their old trips on the rubicon back in the 50's and 60's what is different now?

Rigs are WAY more capable, so what was a challenge back then is a speed bump now.

Back then you could drive ANY WHERE YOU WANTED in the forest. You were not chained to just the trail. If something was not challenging enough....drive somewhere else.

Can't wait to take my RC crawler up there. looks challenging.

Last edited by Kurtuleas; 08-13-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Kurtuleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 90105
I definatly agree with you there. My 85 year old grandpa jokes about getting nose bleeds when he is trying to get into my jeep.

And Just for clarification I am not in support of what has happened, just trying to look at it from all angels. I may be a newby on posting on PBB but have been a longtime viewer and supporter of the trail. I used to stop and pick up trash that I would see back before it was cool and have dug and filled more outhouse pits than I care to remember, in the springs.

I commend everyone who has stepped up over the past few years and done their part to keep things open for us. I wish I have been more supportive and involved in the organized events up until now and plan on helping with my share when time allows.

Thank you everyone for your hard work, it has not gone unnoticed by all us unspoken users!!

Phil
Snow4Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 21636
Send a message via AIM to BlackWidowCJ
If this keeps up I might as well sell my rig....
Old 08-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 25385
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidowCJ View Post
If this keeps up I might as well sell my rig....

-END GAME-
They Win!!!
Rock Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Looks to me like there are some pretty good sized rocks along the edge of the trail - I say we put them back IN the trail.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Dr. View Post
-END GAME-
They Win!!!
It's not over until a Pruis is parked at Spider Lake!!!

'86 CJ7, ProRock60's, 4.88's/Detroits/35 Spline Alloys/CTM's, TBI 350, 700R4, 4:1 D300 w/Twin Stick, 17" x 8.5" Trail Ready HD Aluminum beadlocks, 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT's

Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 30586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
Looks to me like there are some pretty good sized rocks along the edge of the trail - I say we put them back IN the trail.
I wish I could make it to the work weekend. Maybe there should be a side crew that restores the trail to its pre-FS status. Is there a work weekend planned for Sept?
rockcrawln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 109625
knowledge is power

Tim,

if you would only read the papers posted here, you would have known for some time what is coming to the Rubicon (in this case the DOT trail repair scheduled for 2010 up to Little Sluice).

It was even posted here that they are looking for workers to complete the restoration project (and quite a few of the members here wanted to be part of the job):
/forum/rubicon-trail/899881-want-get-paid-work-rubicon.html

Check also the ORC minutes of 07/08/2010:
http://www.co.el-dorado.ca.us/Rubico...tcommittee.htm

It really helps to read and be informed. Then you can act before the sh.. hits the fan.
4x4abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 13807
Send a message via AIM to Crash440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicrawler View Post
It's not over until a Pruis is parked at Spider Lake!!!
there's a quote worthy of repeating!!!!!

omg I cannot believe the pics, I feel like I did when they blew it up
Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Yes - and October, we can still resolve this. I have a call into DOT now.

Really, we should be able to pull those big rocks back in, I don't see them as serving any other purpose that is relevant to water quality.

They probably had to do it to get the equipment back out. We can fix it.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 109625
Quote:
you are kiddin' - right?

if not, the 4wheeling community indeed seems to be highly irresponsible
4x4abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 18477
Send a message via ICQ to Norcalbmxer Send a message via AIM to Norcalbmxer Send a message via Yahoo to Norcalbmxer
WTF? didnt they apologize last time they blew up GateKeeper and say it might have been a little drastic?
Norcalbmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 30586
Like Bebe said maybe its for equipment access and MAYBE they will fix it on the way out. It will be interesting to see what DOT says about their road project.
rockcrawln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #22 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2037
Quote:
I know how you feel. Many of us have been loyal foot soldiers for many years and this is disappointing to say the least.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 21636
They are winning! Everyday we as a community lose something else. I'd love to be out ther pushing large rocks back in the path but that wont be happening an we know it. My point is It just sux to think that people we know depend on our sport/recreating. It's their livelyhood.. Most of us work hard for what we have and do what we do. Some of us have green sticked rigs, wich means you have a trailer, wich means you have a truck to tow it and in most cases its all insured...possibly even whats green stickered. We are shelling out tons of $$$$. You take away "OUR PLUBLIC LANDS" and what are you left with? A green stickerd rock crawler with no rocks to crawl on, if theres no rocks, there is no sence in having a rock crawler, if you dont have a rockcrawler you dont need the trailer and you don't need the truck to pull the trailer either. Now all of a sudden our friends go out of buisness because what we all love has been taken away from us. You wanna stimulate the economy? Keep our trails and public lands open! So much effort and money can go into closing something or "paving it" lets redirect those expenses into maintainging it and raising awerness. I don't know if Im even making sence its just so frustrating to see so much hard work and effort possibly being used agains us..... What would we all be doing if there were no more trails and public land to enjoy?
Old 08-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 21636
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4abc View Post
you are kiddin' - right?

With only 10 post I'm sure you don't know who your talking to. I can assure you shes kidding (about doing it without consent). Lets just say shes one of the top dogs fighting for a greater good.

Last edited by BlackWidowCJ; 08-13-2010 at 11:18 AM.
BlackWidowCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #25 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4abc View Post
you are kiddin' - right?

You prefer it the way it is now?

I guess I can tell the shop I don't need those 5:13's/38's and 10K worth of labor and parts for my Hummer now.

Let me just say in all of my conversations with the Engineer the past two years as Trail Boss, we made it VERY clear the the trail would NOT be paved. I am pretty sure we had more than one conversation about putting BIG rocks back in to maintain the integrity of the trail.

Now that I look at the photos, it seems obvious to me that now they are done with the hardening project, that the trail can sustain a few big rocks.

It's the Rubicon. Period end.

If Tom at DOT tells me we cannot put the rocks back - well then, we'll have to come up with a different plan. But we will need to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Last edited by Bebe; 08-13-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Bebe is online now   Reply With Quote