Green Sticker Buggys? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Land Use and Trails > Rubicon Trail
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 150496
Exclamation Green Sticker Buggys?

We are planning a trip to the Rubicon this summer whats the deal on green sticker buggys? Can we run it or are we going to have issues? Also how much time to go over and back to the trailer? Last where is the place to stage the tow rig and trailer?

AKA Jeep recovery vehicle......

Pick up your fawkin TRASH so the rest of us dont have to clean up after your lazy ass

Last edited by SoCalCrawling; 05-02-2011 at 12:26 PM.
SoCalCrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 70028
Green stickers are fine anywhere near the damn area, theres a clear sign that says no offroad vehicles past here, tons of staging and parking areas near the con as well as campsites that are on the lake and not on the trail to store your rigs and equipment, over to caddilac hill and back will take 2 solid days or drive with me and we can make it there and back in a day with no traffic, traffic being the key word! 3 or 4 days to take in the beauty of that place is ideal!
Old 05-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 150496
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversas13 View Post
Green stickers are fine anywhere near the damn area, theres a clear sign that says no offroad vehicles past here, tons of staging and parking areas near the con as well as campsites that are on the lake and not on the trail to store your rigs and equipment, over to caddilac hill and back will take 2 solid days or drive with me and we can make it there and back in a day with no traffic, traffic being the key word! 3 or 4 days to take in the beauty of that place is ideal!
Cool thank you.
So if I plan for 4 days that should be enough time to enjoy the trip and have a good time? Now about camping on the trail do you have to go to marked places or any where off the trail?

Pick up your fawkin TRASH so the rest of us dont have to clean up after your lazy ass
Old 05-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 43526
Send a message via AIM to 71BRONCO71
From http://www.rubicontrail.org/RTF-Using.htm

Quote:
Camping

Camping on the Rubicon Trail is a great way to enjoy the area. It is recommended for first time users
to plan to camp at least two days if you are planning to run the entire trail. Relax and enjoy this
beautiful place!

Some favorite designated camping areas near the El Dorado side of the trail:

Airport Flat
North Shore (loon Lake)
Loon Lake
Gerle Creek

On the Tahoe side, there is really only one good designated camping area near the trail: Kaspian

In the National Forests near the trail and alongside the trail, dispersed camping is allowed in most areas.
Dispersed camping means just that: you can camp about anywhere you like, but you cannot drive off
the roads or the Rubicon Trail! Virtually ALL of the camping on the trail itself is dispersed.

Here’s a list of likely spots to camp alongside the trail:

Wentworth Springs
Ellis Creek
Walker Hill
Winter Camp (near Little Sluice)
Little Sluice slab area
Buck Island lake
Rubicon Springs (private, $15 per vehicle gets you three nights)
Top of Cadillac at Observation point area

For details, see http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/ltbmu/regulations/rules.shtml

Your campground manager should also know of any restrictions.
BUT your vehicle cannot be more the 25ft from the trail
Old 05-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 70028
Heres a good map of the entry from hwy50 within scale also. From 50 to loon lake is about an hr with a trailer. Then the staging area has alot of parking usually with nice campsites. So making it to little sluice the first night is good have spider lake right there, buck island the second night is a great place with a small damn to jump off of and to the top of cadillac hill if u want a good view of things otherwise rubicon springs and turn around. Have fun and let me know when your going!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Lots of good info here. Your green stickered vehicle is legal everywhere on the dirt portions of the trail. Remember that your green sticker vehicle can be operated on combined use roadways as well (like between the Chalet at Loon and the entrance to the trail at the dam), BUT only during daylight hours and you must have auto insurance. We've run into problems with this in the last year or two...just wanted to make you and everyone the uses a green sticker vehicle aware!

Four days is a great way to go...give you some time to look around, hang around, and enjoy the place. Have a great trip!

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Use Goodsearch and support the Rubicon Trail Foundation.
resqme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 150496
So from the staging area @ Loon lake to Cadillac Hill and back we are good with a green sticker? And on the trail we still need car ins? thats for all the info. What is a good time to plan a trip over the summer?

Old 05-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 70028
The red line is the trail green stickered is fine with no ins. Stay away from holidays if u dont like crowds, anytime during the week is a great time.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 150496
Quote:
The red line is the trail green stickered is fine with no ins. Stay away from holidays if u dont like crowds, anytime during the week is a great time.
Perfect thank you.. When does the snow melt and the trail dry up to make the run with out major mud?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
We're having a really late snow year. Usually early June is good, this year, we'll probably have melt/mud through mid June or later. Check back before your trip to get an idea on conditions.

N6YBH
-
"If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it". -Henry Ford

Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 993
John there will be no mud this because of the improved drainage :d
Old 05-05-2011, 05:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Member # 75774
Quote:
Heres a good map of the entry from hwy50 within scale also. From 50 to loon lake is about an hr with a trailer. Then the staging area has alot of parking usually with nice campsites. So making it to little sluice the first night is good have spider lake right there, buck island the second night is a great place with a small damn to jump off of and to the top of cadillac hill if u want a good view of things otherwise rubicon springs and turn around. Have fun and let me know when your going!

Was looking at this map and trying to clearly understand the situation. If you have Green sticker rig / NO insurance and parked at Airport you could not take the Wentworth leg in? you would have to trailer to the Wentworth staging area first?
Is that right?
oldtimingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post
haha you a funny guy
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
Racer Jack tm
Almar Mfg 530-333-2496

Find us on Facebook
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimingman View Post
Was looking at this map and trying to clearly understand the situation. If you have Green sticker rig / NO insurance and parked at Airport you could not take the Wentworth leg in? you would have to trailer to the Wentworth staging area first?
Is that right?
There's a section of the original trail that is not shown on the map. It begins about 100 yards south of Airport Flats, crosses Gerle Creek and ties back in to WWS Road. The only area I'm unsure about would be that first 100 yards. Maybe resgme or cruzila can clear that up for us.

'86 CJ7, ProRock60's, 4.88's/Detroits/35 Spline Alloys/CTM's, TBI 350, 700R4, 4:1 D300 w/Twin Stick, 17" x 8.5" Trail Ready HD Aluminum beadlocks, 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT's

Dysfunctional Rockcrawlers (TDO)

Wheelers for the Wounded California
Rubicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimingman View Post
Is that right?
On the dual use sections (i.e. pavement where you can legally drive a green sticker, which is marked with a big sign) you would need insurance, no driving at night. But if you were at Airport, head back across the bridge and you are on the Wentworth leg which is County road and dirt. You can take the risk for the few hundred feet or trailer over there and walk back to the rig.

These are the technicalities. As we all know, some rules seem not to have meaning for some people. The thing for me is, if you are doing your best to comply with the law, any officer might take that in to consideration with one exception if you are challenged.
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
Racer Jack tm
Almar Mfg 530-333-2496

Find us on Facebook
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicrawler View Post
The only area I'm unsure about would be that first 100 yards.
You're on it Mark, that first 100 yards, techically, you need insurance and must travel in daylight hours. I don't know of anyone stopped or ticketed on that section (the law may not even be aware of this techincality in that area), but last season several were stopped and/or ticketed on the Chalet to Kiosk section at Loon.

Very funny, Mike

N6YBH
-

Old 05-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 2037
Thanks John...I thought that was the case.

Either way, there's easy access from Airport and it makes a nice base camp

'86 CJ7, ProRock60's, 4.88's/Detroits/35 Spline Alloys/CTM's, TBI 350, 700R4, 4:1 D300 w/Twin Stick, 17" x 8.5" Trail Ready HD Aluminum beadlocks, 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT's

Dysfunctional Rockcrawlers (TDO)

Wheelers for the Wounded California
Rubicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 70028
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post

I mean thats why i pay my taxs right the mud

sorry can o worms

Last edited by cruzila; 05-05-2011 at 01:53 PM.
silversas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Green Dolly !!

Contemplating passing on the epic smog pass/registration on my Isuzu. If I secure a green sticker, uh......... I still have to legally get up there. We can't tolerate anymore vehicles on our property. Is a dolly, i.e. a DMV registered one axle trailer that bears only the front axle off the ground legal ??

Thanks !!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 117865
no
Old 05-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Uzi View Post
Contemplating passing on the epic smog pass/registration on my Isuzu.
I can't imagine what this would be like.

Quote:
If I secure a green sticker, uh......... I still have to legally get up there. We can't tolerate anymore vehicles on our property. Is a dolly, i.e. a DMV registered one axle trailer that bears only the front axle off the ground legal ??
Mark, I asked for a clarification for flat-towing my junk, here's what I got back from a State Parks LEO:
To answer your question CVC28025(d) allows the towing because your Amigo falls into the category of Off Highway vehicle as defined in 38012(b)(4) and because you have a green sticker meets the CVC38160 requirement listed in CVC28025(d).
So... you can have wheels on the ground if the OHV is towed (not driven) upon a highway provided the vehicle displays a valid OHV identification plate..

Search on the bolded string and print out a copy of the citation for your glove box.

Randii

Last edited by randii; 05-21-2011 at 11:00 AM.
randii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Arigato.

Thanks Randii. 1/2 breed Poodle, Pug, Michelle, Duston and the Amigo all say hi. I think I can pass smog, even NOX, but fixing all the busted lights, blinkers, etc wold be a nightmare.

Last two trips up the road have been off road, on foot. sssshhhhhhhhh. I think I am going back to my inner dirt bag backpacking roots in my old age. The next generation is nipping at my heels and the trail beckons. I answer the call for him.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Hey Mark,

To my recollection, when we dual registered, we just took the title down and got it done, didn't have to take the vehicle.

John

N6YBH
-

Old 05-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Thanks John. If I read you correctly, you are suggesting that I keep the vee Hick registered on road and simply renew, pay the fees, and re-license it. With smog. And, get a green sticker so the DOT flashers, license plate light, etc are not necessary if it is checked out by LEO when legally operated as a green-sticker.

il n'est pas si ?

Neighbor has a dolly that has the Perma-Trailer license and it has sat in his driveway for the 5 years we have been neighbors. Just thinking out loud.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 21815
Quote:
And, get a green sticker so the DOT flashers, license plate light, etc are not necessary if it is checked out by LEO when legally operated as a green-sticker.

il n'est pas si ?
Mmmm, no, not really. Saying you can get a green sticker without taking the vehicle to DMV, therefore no reg needed to do so.

I believe I was told that all your lights need to be intact as they came on the vehicle or equivalent in order to be legal, even with a green sticker. The minimum you'll need will be a taillight and a headlight that allows you to see 200 feet if you operate it after dark.

N6YBH
-