Pirate 4x4 banner

Trail Conditions 2011

111K views 541 replies 155 participants last post by  resqme 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm getting lots of questions, so I'm starting this thread to post current trail conditions. I'll try to update it fairly often and obviously anyone who has an update or a question is free to do so as well. I will update the original post, so you don't have to go hunting for trail conditions if you're in a hurry.

Currently, updated December 30th, 2011, the trail conditions are:

Loon trailhead: No snow in the last week, bowl is clear, icy conditions in places, day and night. Many areas of the trail have a snow layer.

Go prepared...in addition to cold weather gear carry a hundred feet of additional winching ability, be it a 100' spare winch cable, or a combination of straps and rated fasteners, or both. ALWAYS go with communications (ham or satellite), multiple rigs, and a backup plan. Let someone know where you are, your general route, and your anticipated return date.

Wentworth Springs trailhead: Same as Loon

Tahoe trailhead: Same as Loon, with a bit less snow.

Always carry a toilet...Wag Bag it!

There are currently no fire restrictions, but you MUST have a Forest Service permit to operate a propane stove or barbecue (charcoal or propane).

Hope this helps.

See less See more
#39 ·
Gloomy and dark up here today looks like the skys could open up any minute
They did, but not bad. Drizzled off and on most of the day, foggy at night. I went in to day run and look at snow conditions. Last weekend's storm didn't change much...still losing the pack pretty steady, lost about a foot this week (typical melt is two feet a week, so it is a bit slower). Lots of big holes that weren't there last week.

I know, that's what I get for letting the dog drive :flipoff2:

Attachments

#41 ·
Resqme, I see a Pull Pal in your future with all those holes the dog is finding/ digging!:)
It is snowing here in SW Washington above 3,500' level with about 4-6" of white stuff forecast for the next 2 days. :) :) Can't get enough of the snow. Most people just don't "get" it. Good for us!
BTW what are you doing up @ 12:09 am?
Toyrocs

#48 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just got home.from the trail.. made it to Ellis.. about 8" of snow fell there last night. Still a boat load of snow at Ellis about 8-10'. Highly doubt any one can make it much past Ellis. The bowl required winching for probably 90% of it.

Good weekend.. would still be out there but Saturday the snow/rain soaked everything I owned.

#50 ·
I was up at tahoe from friday to monday. got snow saturday and sunday. went to the tahoe side enterance and the plow line is just outside the neighbor hood with still about 4-5 feet of snow pack. Too many tree holes so we didn't go in. I'de say at least mid june before the trail is ready for wheeling on.

#60 ·
It is in your rig, but not in a rv or even a stock 4WD pickup. Snowline starts at the chalet, people working the fron t of the trail have been camping by the side of the road there.

I'll be going up Friday and will confirm those conditions are current, they were as of Monday.

The first post in this thread is consistently upgraded as info rolls in, so you can always check there.

#61 ·
I'll be updating the first post in this thread as conditions change, it should be correct now!

The first post in this thread is consistently upgraded as info rolls in, so you can always check there.

#59 ·
Like some one else mentioned the new snow melts fast, and should help melt the old snow. We plan on going up again the 3rd weekend in june, and feel that most snow should be gone by then.

Like i said it wasn't that cold, most of saturday the "snow" was what i call shmain, it's snow but it is so wet that it melts once it hits anything. It wasn't until saturday around 5pm that the snow really started to fall and stick.

#62 ·
As for the Tahoe side, one of our members checked it out on foot Tuesday. The staging area road is plowed for a couple hundred yards beyond the last houses, and then is 3-5' for the 1/4 mile he hoofed it. And of course that is the lowest elevation.

Here is an article from the Tahoe Daily Tribune quoting the weather service saying the pack is 450% above average. :eek:

I rec'd 4" snow on Sat, a couple on Sun, and a couple more last night and the only place it isn't sticking is on the pavement. There were chain controls on hwy 50 yesterday, in the 30 years I've been here that is the first time I recall seeing that in June.

People planning on going in from the Tahoe side in mid June will be having a winch fest and won't be doing us or the trail any favors imho.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20110601/NEWS/110609995/1068&ParentProfile=1056

#68 ·
You'd think with all this snow.....the turbines will be churning out tons of power...more than normal. Will PG&E lower rates this year?

:lmao:

#71 ·
Hot off the press, I mean memory card...

I hiked in to water bar number eight this morning. That's the Arizona crossing one and it was flowing near capacity. Give it a few days of warm weather and it will be flowing over capacity.

This is the first snow drift you'll come to on the paved road. You'll find this all along the paved section of the trail. 75% of the pavement is still under snow.

This shot is just past the staging area. Note the steep sidehill. More than likely, you'll end up in the trees. This is typical all along the trail this time of year.

Further up the trail, it is still VERY wet. I'm suggesting that we stay off the trail until the Fourth of July weekend.

Remember, we are not alone out there, nor are we at the top of the food chain...

Happy Trails!

#74 ·
Rubicon Springs pics

Taken from public domain...JJUSA made a recon trip into Rubicon Springs...check this out:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.