Pirate 4x4 banner

Trail Conditions 2011

111K views 541 replies 155 participants last post by  resqme 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm getting lots of questions, so I'm starting this thread to post current trail conditions. I'll try to update it fairly often and obviously anyone who has an update or a question is free to do so as well. I will update the original post, so you don't have to go hunting for trail conditions if you're in a hurry.

Currently, updated December 30th, 2011, the trail conditions are:

Loon trailhead: No snow in the last week, bowl is clear, icy conditions in places, day and night. Many areas of the trail have a snow layer.

Go prepared...in addition to cold weather gear carry a hundred feet of additional winching ability, be it a 100' spare winch cable, or a combination of straps and rated fasteners, or both. ALWAYS go with communications (ham or satellite), multiple rigs, and a backup plan. Let someone know where you are, your general route, and your anticipated return date.

Wentworth Springs trailhead: Same as Loon

Tahoe trailhead: Same as Loon, with a bit less snow.

Always carry a toilet...Wag Bag it!

There are currently no fire restrictions, but you MUST have a Forest Service permit to operate a propane stove or barbecue (charcoal or propane).

Hope this helps.

See less See more
#82 ·
It rained most of the weekend at the Loon spillway. Still lots of holes and one you wanna watch out for as you enter the spillway. We put up some caution tape but try to stay right(towards the Lake). The tracks to the left actually go over the edge and the hole was about 4' deep.

Go right.

#85 · (Edited)
AFAIK, no one has been to Buck since way earlier in the spring. Getting to Spider is the hard part...past that there is less snow as you go down towards Buck. Last trip that I know of to Spider was three weeks ago, took two very competent folks in good rigs 14 hours to get out...

Here's the good news:

Attachments

#86 · (Edited)
This weeks bathroom pic...

...comparing to last week's, looks like if we lost anything at all, it was negligible.

And one of the trail past Ellis...nasty.

Attachments

#93 ·
I'll be up Thursday afternoon for the same reason (check conditions). Maybe I'll see ya there. Blue CJ7 on 40's.

#96 ·
I appreciate the itch to "get up there", I've had it for a month or more. And I know it's been said a lot...Tread Lightly!

Run VERY low tire pressure, 3-5 psi is good.

Don't spin tires on wet trail surface, remember the transition from armored trail surface to snow has most potential for trail damage.

Use your winch, BEFORE you make multiple tries to get up.

Don't work the edge of the trail, try to stay on top of the snow.

Recognize when going further will cause damage and turn around.

#103 ·
Some pics from the Tahoe side (6/9/11):

Here are some shots taken just shy of the staging area on the Tahoe side. Just made a road trip up with the truck to see if towing a trailer in was getting anywhere close to possible. Answer: maybe, in a couple weeks.
Bear out sniffing around for food. Be on alert.

Last couple pics of truck is where we turned around, just shy of the staging area. The snow becomes consistently 1-2+ feet deep at that point. And is pretty mushy.

Good times to be had soon....:D

Attachments

#106 ·
Pics

Weekly bathroom pic, looks like we lost about 14" of snow this week. Also a pcouple of Ellis Creek, up about a foot from five days ago, about 40' wide at the crossing. last one is the cut at the second dam...still 15+ feet of snow in there.

Attachments

#107 ·
Weekly bathroom pic, looks like we lost about 14" of snow this week. Also a pcouple of Ellis Creek, up about a foot from five days ago, about 40' wide at the crossing. last one is the cut at the second dam...still 15+ feet of snow in there.
John,
How much snow at the Kiosk? Was the caution tape still up that Mark and I put at the spillway?
That drift before the second dam is HUGE!! Looks the same as last weekend.

#108 ·
Be there week of july 4th

#112 ·
I'm guessing most of the trail will be in good shape by then, with the exception of the Tahoe side. All depends on the weather from now til then. Pray for sun and wind :smokin:

#114 ·
Sitting up at loon lake the temps stayed were the snow melted threw the night. Still getting over the back side of the first damn on less than 35s have fun. And it will be good slush most of the day and into the night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.