Pirate 4x4 banner

Trail Conditions 2011

111K views 541 replies 155 participants last post by  resqme 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm getting lots of questions, so I'm starting this thread to post current trail conditions. I'll try to update it fairly often and obviously anyone who has an update or a question is free to do so as well. I will update the original post, so you don't have to go hunting for trail conditions if you're in a hurry.

Currently, updated December 30th, 2011, the trail conditions are:

Loon trailhead: No snow in the last week, bowl is clear, icy conditions in places, day and night. Many areas of the trail have a snow layer.

Go prepared...in addition to cold weather gear carry a hundred feet of additional winching ability, be it a 100' spare winch cable, or a combination of straps and rated fasteners, or both. ALWAYS go with communications (ham or satellite), multiple rigs, and a backup plan. Let someone know where you are, your general route, and your anticipated return date.

Wentworth Springs trailhead: Same as Loon

Tahoe trailhead: Same as Loon, with a bit less snow.

Always carry a toilet...Wag Bag it!

There are currently no fire restrictions, but you MUST have a Forest Service permit to operate a propane stove or barbecue (charcoal or propane).

Hope this helps.

See less See more
#121 ·
Thanks, that is what I suspected. I'm heading up tomorrow for a few days of light exploring, not planning to do the trail itself. Looks like Airport it will be!

#125 ·
Anyone have any idea if there is much snow at the lower elevations on Ice House Rd area? Specifically how is the snow around the Union Valley area?

#128 ·
These were taken less than 30 minutes ago on the Tahoe side.
Temps in the 60s right now, got up to into the low 70s yesterday.
I only went as far as the staging area...
There were a few banks I had to put my tow rig into 4x4 for.
A trailer would be iffy right now, there was also a tree that will need to be cleared.
The stream with the bridge (just below the staging area) was flowing pretty heavily.
The whole area below the bridge was flooded/swampy (the road was dry though/elevated).

#131 ·
Not sure about that. It looks like about 3" / day. We need 6 - 8" / day, since there is still 51" of snow

----------------------------------------------------------
.............................Change In
............. Snow Water . Snow .. Snow Water Change In
Date Time ... Equivalent . Depth . Equivalent Snow Depth
----------------------------------------------------------
06/07 .. 0000 .. 40.3 .... 67.0
06/08 .. 0000 .. 39.6 .... 67.0 .. -0.7 ....... 0.0
06/09 .. 0000 .. 38.6 .... 64.0 .. -1.0 ...... -3.0
06/10 .. 0000 .. 37.1 .... 59.0 .. -1.5 ...... -5.0
06/11 .. 0000 .. 35.2 .... 59.0 .. -1.9 ....... 0.0
06/12 .. 0000 .. 33.6 .... 56.0 .. -1.6 ...... -3.0
06/13 .. 0000 .. 32.2 .... 53.0 .. -1.4 ...... -3.0
06/14 .. 0000 .. 30.8 .... 51.0 .. -1.4 ...... -2.0

#132 ·
Isn't almost 2 feet a week a pretty good rate? Granted it has only been going at that rate for about a week. Actually not even a week.... sheesh.
The graphs are pretty cool, there is a series of them that shows yearly depth since 81 compared to 71-00 average.
I am just getting a little giddy....

#150 ·
Look up, there's 148 posts preceding yours in this very thread that discuss conditions for the last month, and John has been updating the first post for quick reference: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12887521&postcount=1
Some folks believe the information freely posted by numerous individuals, other folks disbelieve it... the trail is open, but go prepared and please avoid making work for Friends of the Rubicon and the County to have to clean up later. It is possible to recreate up there with minimal impact even at this time of year, but that can involve pulling cable instead of powering through, and ultimately, turning around if necessary. If you go, please go prepared, loaded for bear (quite literally), and let people know when you're going in and when you're coming out.

Randii

#151 ·
Im headin' up to the trail with about 8 rigs last weeknd in june. i spent 2 days up near my cabin in the eastern Sierras and spent a fair amount of time around 6500'. The snow is still present and lingers in areas that you can tell are shady more than others. I figure by the last weekend in June the trail should be drive able and free of most large snowy sections. I spent a little less than 48 hrs in the mountains last weekend in 60-70 degree weather and in those 48hrs the snow melted a noticeable amount. I guess we will just all need to be prepared for a wet trail. Hopefully the water at buck and the springs isnt to ice cold. Im trying to get my trail swim on. Ill be bringing a nice pair of water proof boots when i go and a large tarp to. That ought help out when someone brakes something

#152 · (Edited)
Dont know how many people check the calender event but i thought i would post on this thread as well...

for june 22-26, my wedding weekend. we have the main site of the springs reserved and I have somewhere from 150-160 people coming, so probably like 40-50 rigs coming. not sure what side of the trail everyone is coming in from but saturday morning i am doing a shuttle of rigs from tahoe staging area to bring in some guest. i predict 15-20 rigs going out to pick up people so if anyone is coming in from tahoe its just a heads up. other than that if anyone is staying at the springs that weekend, your more than welcome to come celebrate and party :)

#154 · (Edited)
are you going to be able to go out/in from the tahoe side? I plan to be camping at buck mid week with a group. We will be playing back and forth from there on Wednesday, stop by and say hello. going to be leading a nascar crew from Joe Gibbs Racing while the semi's drive from michigan to sear's point. current plan is that we will be heading back out to loon on thursday morning. Sounds like we will be going against some of your traffic possibly. Sounds like you guys will be having a fun weekend!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.