Pirate 4x4 banner

Trail Conditions 2011

111K views 541 replies 155 participants last post by  resqme 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm getting lots of questions, so I'm starting this thread to post current trail conditions. I'll try to update it fairly often and obviously anyone who has an update or a question is free to do so as well. I will update the original post, so you don't have to go hunting for trail conditions if you're in a hurry.

Currently, updated December 30th, 2011, the trail conditions are:

Loon trailhead: No snow in the last week, bowl is clear, icy conditions in places, day and night. Many areas of the trail have a snow layer.

Go prepared...in addition to cold weather gear carry a hundred feet of additional winching ability, be it a 100' spare winch cable, or a combination of straps and rated fasteners, or both. ALWAYS go with communications (ham or satellite), multiple rigs, and a backup plan. Let someone know where you are, your general route, and your anticipated return date.

Wentworth Springs trailhead: Same as Loon

Tahoe trailhead: Same as Loon, with a bit less snow.

Always carry a toilet...Wag Bag it!

There are currently no fire restrictions, but you MUST have a Forest Service permit to operate a propane stove or barbecue (charcoal or propane).

Hope this helps.

See less See more
#168 ·
So some buddies and I from Oregon went in from loon last weekend- we're pretty set up for snow wheeling as well as the con but came across several jeeps heading back out- we camped above the granite bowl and blew into ellis creek in 15-20 min the had to break trail from there to soup bowl and it was hard going with me leading an dropping my buggy into 4-8ft deep drifts that had broke through to the creek running down the trail! There were some substantial trees down that we went over due to the snow but hard to get around with more melt off. I think i can say my rig was the first past ellis this year judging by no sign of tracks old or new and I was working and winching for every inch!

#169 · (Edited)
I think i can say my rig was the first past ellis this year judging by no sign of tracks old or new and I was working and winching for every inch!
nope.
snow melt hides the tracks of those before...
details further up in this post: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12895823&postcount=5
Rubicon receives year-round motorized recreational use, and that's a good thing, as long as those users are fully self-sufficient and are gentle on the resource. :cool2:

Randii

#170 ·
Just got home from the trail and it is in pretty good shape. Some snow patches just past the slabs on the way to Ellis. The temps were nice and warm and you could watch the snow melt. Some friends went from Ellis towards Wentworth and hit the post pile and said there was nothing major there either as far as snow goes. Should be a great season, late but great. Oh the misquitos are already out in force. I'd say they are worse than the snow. Can't wait to get back up there. Enjoy!:D:D:D:D

#172 ·
snow melt

snow is melting fast !!! we went to Ellis, big snow drift at water crossing , should be melted & gone soon , second pic is paved road to Loon campgrounds

Attachments

#174 ·
THE MELT IS ON, FINALLY!!!

I'm getting lots of questions, so I'm starting this thread to post current trail conditions. I'll try to update it fairly often and obviously anyone who has an update or a question is free to do so as well. I will update the original post, so you don't have to go hunting for trail conditions if you're in a hurry.

Currently, updated June 15th, the trail conditions are:

Loon trailhead: 1 to 5 foot hard pack base, fair amount of blacktop showing but still long runs on deep snow on the road, once you're on the trail lots of holes underneath, the sidehill at the second dam has been cut out and is easily driveable with a well set up rig, may need some shoveling to put it in shape as the melt continues. Tree wells are pretty big and punishing on the trail itself. From Ellis Creek on are deep drifts (up to 10') with sidehill travel and lots of melt holes (dive in and winch out). There are wet muddy holes at gatekeeper, on the intertie, and before Ellis, so now is a good time to stay off the trail past the kiosk.

Wentworth Springs trailhead:Clear past the Y. Past that, a packed 0 to 3 foot base, lots of blacktop showing with a few drifts that will push you into the trees if you aren't careful. Lots of water moving past the cattle guard, the melt is on at these lower elevations! Not recommended using the trail past there until the melt is complete, probably a week or less.

Tahoe trailhead:0 to 10 foot base, patches of snow on the road up to the staging area, then gradually increasing snow until the drifts get steep and sloppy interspersed with water by the lakes. At the higher elevations above Miller, thre are sidehills and steep drift conditions. First rigs in this year took all day to get to Miller and back on May 28th...capable experienced folks in well built rigs. Not recommended at this time.

Bears: There have been three bear sightings in the last two weeks, one at Airport, one at Gatekeeper, and one at Tahoe staging. All are obviously hungry and looking for food. With this late winter season, they'll be coming out of hibernation about now and looking to eat. Take precautions!

Always carry a toilet as camping is unpredictable this time of year and there is no other safe way to dispose of human waste. Wag Bag it!

My guess is the trail won't be completely clear until the end of June (especially the Tahoe side).

There are currently no fire restrictions, but you MUST have a Forest Service permit to operate a propane stove or barbecue (charcoal or propane).

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the updates John. My plans are to come up next weekend for the RTF work weekend. I'm going to be watching this thread day by day to confirm access.
Does anyone know it Airport campground is clear for a tow rig? Gerle Creek CG?

Thanks be safe all!!

#181 ·
Snow is melting fast.. went in Saturday morning and out Sunday morning, at least a foot less snow.

we made it to just before buck with fairly simple trucks, before heading back to camp. if these high temps over night stick around it'll be gone quick.

#190 ·
Uploading pics now will get them up in a few mins. We left the chalet on saturday at about 8:30 and made it to the springs around 12:45. There was snow, lots.......but lots for june. I have been there with way worse but earlier in the year. The only spot that was bad snowy area was walker hill and the hill on the backside of spider, I think its called million dollar hill or something? There is lots of water flowing on the trail for sure! The area right above old sluice was about 3ft deep. From buck to the springs no snow whatsoever. The springs were really tore up!! JJ usa better get there butts in gear, it looks like the water was really high this year, it took out about 5 of the newer nice bathrooms they put in and a tree took out another. There was also a fair amount of snow from just past the dirty dozen camp to the base of caddy hill. Pics to come in a few mins....:flipoff2:

#199 ·
Cleared a couple logs out of the trail down by the springs, and started some water draining.
Thanks for taking time to clear the trail and work the drainage... if everyone helps a little, that minimizes bypasses around 'seasonal tough stuff' :cool2:

We're coming from Washington State, so we have to make a go or no-go decision within the next day or two at the most.
Just tread lightly and be prepared to pull cable instead of matting the skinny pedal... the worst that can happen is that you just run in and out as far as you're comfortable, and maybe don't make it as far as you'd like. Buck Lake is a great destination, but this time of year, you can camp anywhere and have water handy for cooking, cleaning, and etc. The water at Buck can only be a few degrees warmer than solid water in snowbank form... definite shrinkage, either way. :laughing:

Thanks to the work of many folks for many years, Rubicon remains open year-round to motorized recreational use. Summer use always picks up, and I've surely got cabin fever... seeing pics makes me smile.

Randii

p.s. - congratulations in advance on the wedding, have a great weekend!

#196 ·
Tcarp1, what would your guess be for how things would look for getting to the campground at loon for a 4x4 F350 crew cab w/ a camper and a flat bed towing a trail rig? Same question for my Jeep on 35's towing my hard sided pop up camping trailer on Saturday June 25th?

Also, we've got 3 of us locked F&R on 35's that are thinking of going from Loon to Buck Island. Realistic or not if we are planning on entering the trail on June 26th?

If we tent camped at Buck, would we pretty much be camping on top of snow?

We're coming from Washington State, so we have to make a go or no-go decision within the next day or two at the most. Planning on hitting the road on Friday morning June 24th From WA.

I really, really appreciate yours (or anyone else w/ first hand knowledge) insight. We don't want to drive 750 miles and have the trip a bust.

#201 ·
You cannot count on your tow rig/camper at North shore by then, IMO. Still 2-3 feet of snow in it, and the road still has snow as of yesterday. That may change...I believe the county is going to plow the road, but then the forest still has to open the campground...both North Shore and Loon Lake campgrounds are currently closed. Call the Pacific Ranger District at 530-644-2349 for the latest info. I believe the County plans to plow down as far as the kiosk on Monday, I will be there again Tuesday and will report back here.

Your plan to go to Buck with those rigs is feasible. There are some big drifts, but all the down trees are cut (maybe 15 or so!)and they are all do-able. Be patient and plan to winch a few places. Buck is almost 100% clear of snow and gorgeous, saw it yesterday :smokin:. Plan to camp on dry ground...even where the drifts are big you can find places to camp on rock or semi-dry dirt.

IMO, make your trip a go, be flexible about base camp plan (Airport and South Fork are both open)

#204 ·
I got a new birthday present and go pro is pretty cool stuff!

The first is on the FOTR bridge. I used a chainsaw to cut the snow in to 7-50 Lb blocks and slide them in the water. Frun stuff.

The 2nd 3rd and 4th are of Walker Hill. I was able to drive it with snow on it but on the way out the face at the bottom was clear of snow, so is very doable. Interesting to actually drive ON Walker Rock again.

The last is the drift at Soupbowl. With heavy traffic over the weekend, there were spots where 3 feet of snow melted in the track. One drift at Winter camp was 5 feet when I crested it and I laid the roll bar on the side of it on the way out because it was GONE!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.