Pirate 4x4 banner

Trail Conditions 2011

111K views 541 replies 155 participants last post by  resqme 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm getting lots of questions, so I'm starting this thread to post current trail conditions. I'll try to update it fairly often and obviously anyone who has an update or a question is free to do so as well. I will update the original post, so you don't have to go hunting for trail conditions if you're in a hurry.

Currently, updated December 30th, 2011, the trail conditions are:

Loon trailhead: No snow in the last week, bowl is clear, icy conditions in places, day and night. Many areas of the trail have a snow layer.

Go prepared...in addition to cold weather gear carry a hundred feet of additional winching ability, be it a 100' spare winch cable, or a combination of straps and rated fasteners, or both. ALWAYS go with communications (ham or satellite), multiple rigs, and a backup plan. Let someone know where you are, your general route, and your anticipated return date.

Wentworth Springs trailhead: Same as Loon

Tahoe trailhead: Same as Loon, with a bit less snow.

Always carry a toilet...Wag Bag it!

There are currently no fire restrictions, but you MUST have a Forest Service permit to operate a propane stove or barbecue (charcoal or propane).

Hope this helps.

See less See more
#247 ·
yep, still snow on the road, but just one stretch that is a couple hundred yards. SMUD guy was in a stock 4x4 chevy half-ton, had to pull him out, he wasn't going anywhere. But after we pulled him out he said he was going to make sure the snow was all gone buy monday, lol. Oh an he was a BIG sumbitch!

#249 ·
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13031042&postcount=208

What you can do that will work is to turn right on the little road as you get to the Chalet at Loon Lake. That is a large area where you can park tow rigs etc. You may not camp at any FS campground there if you do not occupy it. Meaning you have to be there to park/camp. Since you are going to be using the trail and spending the night, you just want to park and you can get in there right now if you were there.

The parking is free and as safe as it can be anywhere up there. Go for it!!

p.s. That lot is a gravel helipad so do not park on that, there is plenty of room there.

#256 ·
Just got back this morning. Trail is clear no snow at all. Just a bit in the trees but the trail is clear. Went all the way to the springs with no issues. From what i heard you still cant make it all the way to tahoe do to snow drift. I believe some of the guys made it to the look out peak. Great weekend!

#259 ·
It is melting fast. The last snow has melted a TON in the last round of pics just from my trip mid week. I am too late to even bother posting mine, they are out dated. The big thing is going to be hearing back from the wedding party on how the springs look, and the dirty dozen camp site. The helicopter was flying all day for the two days I was up there (wed, thurs) back and forth to the spring with repair supplies. I bet the springs will be borderline good in two weeks ~

#263 ·
Just got back this evening. Minimal snow on the trail, and whats there is melting quickly. Lots of water on the trail. We made it as far as big sluice and turned around. Farthest I'd been through the con to date.

Absolutely AWESOME weekend, great weather, not a crowded trail, it was a really good trip.

PS, 2 Forestry folks were on foot checking reg before Ellis.......

#266 · (Edited)
With 42s, a V8, and one of the better snow rigs and drivers, we were nearly able to make it to Dollar Hole through drifts well over 10' tall. The staging area is dry and dusty, Miller Lake area is saturated, and snow is steep and slanted as you get further in, depending on slope face, altitude, and tree cover. You might be able to make it to the Springs from Tahoe but there would be literally DAYS of winching, shoveling, and sawing to do so. Snow coverage is still nearly 100% at altitude with drifts from 2 to 12 feet, often with sidehills well past 45 degrees. If you go to Rubicon, please 'wheel gently, as much of the Tahoe side is pretty delicate right now.

Randii

#267 ·
Randii and I made a trip around to the Tahoe side on Saturday. We met a small group at the staging area Saturday at around 9:30PM as we were just getting there. They had tried all day to get in to the wedding and had to turn around about 1/4 mile after the turnoff to the trail at the Barker cutoff. The trees get tight there and the drifts get narrower and taller. They stopped at an 8 foot drop, 4 feet wide with 6 foot tree wells on either side! Pictures show both going up and down it.

From Staging to Miller Lake is clear of snow. It gains rapidly from there and I noticed many places where if there was warmer weather, we would have had real trouble with cave ins on the bottom of dips. Luckily, it was around 29 in the morning and that helped keep the snow solid enough for us to get out. When we stopped for a brief couple hours of sleep, we had just recovered cruzila from a flop off of a bank that had caved in as I slipped sideways. I was lucky enough to have no damage to the rig and our gear did not get wet. The winch rope did break on the recovery and we improvised a solution with an extra rope I almost did not bring!!

You can go along on the trail and it seems OK then wham, a section that is a show stopper is right there. The one we found was 200 feet long and drifted in to small trees on the downhill side.

One the way out, there was a section we were on the top of the drift and I had to winch to just keep the front heading the right way or risk a 12 vertical foot fall to the left in only 6-8 feet of width.

I guess it will be two more weeks until the Tahoe side is passable without risk. Even then, the water is running high and things will be wet for much longer. stay on the trail, and wait if you can until things settle out and dry out before heading in the Tahoe side.

Attachments

#271 ·
pic of helicopter crew.. sorry camera sucks.. this was on the way out on saturday morning..

#274 · (Edited)
We were on the tahoe side on the 25th. There was lots of water flowing down the trail. On 35s we could not make it past the snow drift right around miller lake. A group in a land cruiser truggy made it further but said there was too much snow still on the trail for them to make it to the springs. I think it is good advice to take it slow as the trail is still very wet.

#277 ·
Well I do ride the CA delta year round in a wet suit and on new years day we trunk it so I am familiar with cold water. This stuff was FREEZING! It burnt as you started to surface from the dive. I would guess high 40's maybe low 50's.

The water temp did rise after the 4 days we camped at buck. Plus the shallow parts were a little warmer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.