Pirate 4x4 banner

Trail Conditions 2011

111K views 541 replies 155 participants last post by  resqme 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm getting lots of questions, so I'm starting this thread to post current trail conditions. I'll try to update it fairly often and obviously anyone who has an update or a question is free to do so as well. I will update the original post, so you don't have to go hunting for trail conditions if you're in a hurry.

Currently, updated December 30th, 2011, the trail conditions are:

Loon trailhead: No snow in the last week, bowl is clear, icy conditions in places, day and night. Many areas of the trail have a snow layer.

Go prepared...in addition to cold weather gear carry a hundred feet of additional winching ability, be it a 100' spare winch cable, or a combination of straps and rated fasteners, or both. ALWAYS go with communications (ham or satellite), multiple rigs, and a backup plan. Let someone know where you are, your general route, and your anticipated return date.

Wentworth Springs trailhead: Same as Loon

Tahoe trailhead: Same as Loon, with a bit less snow.

Always carry a toilet...Wag Bag it!

There are currently no fire restrictions, but you MUST have a Forest Service permit to operate a propane stove or barbecue (charcoal or propane).

Hope this helps.

See less See more
#321 · (Edited)
Bebe,

There are a lot of OHV trails in various forests labeled like that. I think I've mentioned it the Basin once before. All the forests are redoing their website. The bozo entering the information probably has no clue.

I'd love for someone other than myself to correct their mistakes. The last time I called them on their website was when they left off an entire trail. They said it was a mistake.

:jeep:

#325 ·
Bebe,

There are a lot of OHV trails in various forests labeled like that. I think I've mentioned it the Basin once before. All the forests are redoing their website. The bozo entering the information probably has no clue.

I'd love for someone other than myself to correct their mistakes. The last time I called them on their website was when they left off an entire trail. They said it was a mistake.

:jeep:
Ok, Called Tahoe and most of the mistakes were in the Truckee Ranger District. They took some notes and said they will forward it to the "webmaster". We'll see.

#331 ·
Went to Spider Lake today. There are about 150+ rigs on the trail today. We had an uneventful run to Spider. We had lunch then headed back to Loon. We hit lots of incoming traffic on the way out. Trail is in great shape, zero snow ON the trail, but still quite wet. Tread lightly in the wet areas!

edit - parking at Loon is pretty much FULL, so if you're towing, park at the chalet parking area.

#338 · (Edited by Moderator)
Local guys are great support!

Well, I just want to say that I feel very lucky every time I run the Rubicon and grateful to all the local Jeepers and rangers who educate me about the trail and keep the trail in great shape.They are really cool guys. I have even met Del a few times.
I have run the trail for six straight years. Each year I have been greeted by very cool local clubs that work the trail. I always thank them for what they do to keep the trail going. It is like nothing else out there including Moab and all our local So Cal trails. I hold this trail in great respect and always make sure to stay on the trail. I never feel like guys like Doug are being anything but helpful up there. Each July I have so many new memories. I take my now 67 year old dad with me and my friends. This is the only trip we take together all year. It is a great magical place and I know there are always a few people who will litter or run off the trails but most people are just really cool and super helpful. I hope by next weekend we can make our route up Cadillac and out to Tahoe but if I am told there is still too much snow and a mess and I will comply.That is part of the respect for the trail. I think we all agree that we are truly blessed that our beloved Rubicon has not been shut down. Thanks to all you locals who do so much to keep the trail going. I enjoy meeting you guys each July.I will be at loon lake this Saturday with a six other Jeeps ready to enjoy the most beautiful trail there is. Let's all try to support each other on the trail and not get into conflicts up there. Here are a few shot from last July. We had the whole Rubicon Springs to ourselves.It was empty last year. I always marvel at the beauty of this place and each year it is different.

#340 · (Edited)
Ran loon side to buck had a great time sheriffs hiked in late Sunday night to Buck intending to see some fireworks but us and one other camp was all that was left at buck so they ended up with a long hike for no fireworks :D:smokin::shaking: The trail was a little wet, still some snow by the box stopped and topped off my cooler on Sunday evening to hold me over for one more day it seemed as if everyone left Sunday morning the trail was dead silent sun/mon had a great trip ran into alot of people off the board

#343 ·
Rubithon July 13 - 17

TLCA has the Springs next weekend for Rubithon. Currently we have 100 vehicles scheduled to travel Weds - Friday from Loon to the Springs, and most of those usually go out via Cadillac.

We are bringing in food and supplies on Wed, July 13 via Tahoe. Last year we came in and it took us 12 hours. Recent pictures look worse now than they did in mid June 2010. Really hoping we get some melt in the next 7 days!

Thanks

#345 · (Edited)
#350 ·
Plans Change

Thanks for cleaning up this thread.

I've been following it for a few weeks now as we have a gang that's been planning a trip for the 9th since Feb. The origional plan was to go in from Tahoe & camp at the Springs. Due to conditions we are now planning to camp somewhere near or at the bottom of the trail on Fri. & wheel in on Sat. to Spider, maybe to Buck then back to camp. Problem is, now that I won't have camping gear on the trail the wife has offered my back seat to the niece & her bf who will be driving up in a 2wd pickup. Sooo, any ideas for a good campsite cheap/free near the Loon entrance or Wentworth where we can park 3 tow rigs/trailers & 3 other vehicles and get to the trail with green stickered rigs?

Thanks

#352 ·
Airports flats comes to mind. As for green sticker to be legal, you would have to have a functioning tail light and insurance to drive on the paved dual use road section. Valid DL was a given. Your niece can drive a 2wd pickup to the went worth campground and bring you camping junk there too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.