Pirate 4x4 banner

Trail Conditions 2011

111K views 541 replies 155 participants last post by  resqme 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm getting lots of questions, so I'm starting this thread to post current trail conditions. I'll try to update it fairly often and obviously anyone who has an update or a question is free to do so as well. I will update the original post, so you don't have to go hunting for trail conditions if you're in a hurry.

Currently, updated December 30th, 2011, the trail conditions are:

Loon trailhead: No snow in the last week, bowl is clear, icy conditions in places, day and night. Many areas of the trail have a snow layer.

Go prepared...in addition to cold weather gear carry a hundred feet of additional winching ability, be it a 100' spare winch cable, or a combination of straps and rated fasteners, or both. ALWAYS go with communications (ham or satellite), multiple rigs, and a backup plan. Let someone know where you are, your general route, and your anticipated return date.

Wentworth Springs trailhead: Same as Loon

Tahoe trailhead: Same as Loon, with a bit less snow.

Always carry a toilet...Wag Bag it!

There are currently no fire restrictions, but you MUST have a Forest Service permit to operate a propane stove or barbecue (charcoal or propane).

Hope this helps.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Eight inches to a foot of new snow across the Rubicon area last night. Overall, within a day or two, trail conditions will be back to the original post, I think.

#4 ·
Still coming down :D def. over 8" up there, got that at 3500' by this afternoon.

Supposed to snow into tonight, break tomorrow and pick up again tomorrow night for a couple more inches. :laughing:

The snow is wet, and sticking I'd expect a decent # of fresh trees down again.
A lot of oaks, and other trees with spring leaves are down already on the way up.

Anyone coming up Wentworth watch for PGE trucks they are working, and had no flags/signs out.

#5 ·
Made a trip in to Spider this weekend. The snow was not the best on Friday, but was better with some powder on it. John was up and was helping some inexperienced folks. They made it to the Kiosk and it took alll day. When we came out, I was wading through waist deep snow in the cut before the second dam:eek:

Attachments

#6 ·
Somewhere East of Ellis. There is still so much snow that the coverage is 80-90 percent. Most of it is 6-10 feet deep and was melting until this weekend. With another storm rolling in, who knows how long it will be until the trail is ready for summer wheeling??

Let's start a pool:grinpimp:

disclaimer:

The guy that went with me and myself have years of experience and capable rigs to get in there and out without any sort of issues or damage. Please do not try this unless you know what you are doing and have an escape plan or friends waiting to rescue you if you have issues.

Attachments

#10 ·
Yup, it definitely did. This new storm will compact quickly in the warm weather ahead and really only add a few inches to the pack. This will delay the melt by a week, I'm guessing, especially up toward Little Sluice (higher elevation). We'll still be losing pack faster than gaining it in the next few weeks!

#11 ·
<picture of trailer full of snow>
Interesting approach.
Most people take their 4x4s UP to the snow to go 'wheeling.
Pretty creative getting a trailer-full of snow to take DOWN to your house and 'wheel there.
:flipoff2:

Randii

#13 ·
Winter Weather Advisory for Greater Lake Tahoe Area, CA

... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 11 AM PDT WEDNESDAY...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 11 AM PDT WEDNESDAY.

* TIMING: SNOW WILL INCREASE LATE THIS AFTERNOON BECOMING HEAVIER OVERNIGHT BEFORE TURNING TO SHOWERS WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: 2 TO 6 INCHES AT LAKE LEVEL AND VALLEY FLOORS INCLUDING TRUCKEE. 5 TO 8 INCHES ABOVE 7000 FEET WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS OF 10 INCHES OR MORE NEAR THE SIERRA CREST.

* IMPACTS: SNOW COVERED ROADS WILL MAKE TRAVEL HAZARDOUS TONIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING WITH VISIBILITIES LESS THAN 1 MILE AT TIMES. CHAIN CONTROLS AND DELAYS THROUGH SIERRA PASSES ARE LIKELY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

SNOW WILL MAKE ROADS... BRIDGES... AND SIDEWALKS SLICK AND HAZARDOUS. DRIVING CONDITIONS WILL DETERIORATE RAPIDLY. MOTORISTS SHOULD USE CAUTION AND ALLOW EXTRA TIME TO REACH THEIR DESTINATION.

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO POSE AN INCONVENIENCE TO TRAVELERS. ROADS WILL BECOME SLICK AND HAZARDOUS... WITH SNOW AND ICE FIRST DEVELOPING ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES. MOTORISTS SHOULD SLOW DOWN AND USE CAUTION.

#15 · (Edited)
getting to that time when we need to stay off to let the snow melt off without rutting things up?

I know in MT we were always governed by the spring break up....... a month long period where they told you to stay off the snow and roads so it it could thaw, melt off and not channalize itself in the ruts too much. not sure many people down here understand how much of an impact spring thaw wheeling and ruts can have on errossion.

went up to the dam the other day lots of snow this year for sure

#17 ·
getting to that time when we need to stay off to let the snow melt off without rutting things up?
Good to see people thinking about this. I don't think we are quite there yet...this recent snowfall has delayed that by maybe a week or so.

Very soon!

#21 ·
Going up the end of june, any ideas or predictions on what the snow will be like if any? Also, is the trail still paved or was it "put back" to a 4wd trail? Or am I going to be able to do a 120mph on the con? I have some people from way out of state coming out expecting to see some rocks and wheeling.:p

#24 ·
First, I think by the end of June the trail should be fine. THere will still be some snow in places away from the trail, and some drifts across the trail in a few places on the Tahoe side. Other that that, you'll be good, I think.

Second, the county did not put the rocks back. They'll be back up to work in June, didn't make sense to put the rocks back in November to return the trail to normal, have it sit under snow for six months, and then pull the rocks back out as soon as the snow melts. When the work is done, they've promised to put stuff back.

#27 ·
I think there's a very good chance that the trail will be ok by then, with the exception of the Tahoe side. Pray for sunny days :)

#36 ·
my buddy "yodaman7" went up last saturday to check it out for this weekend.

he went to the ellis side of the bowl. he said leaving the bowl took him a good 40 min to get out...granted he has 4Runner with some 35" KM2's:D

#37 ·
Yes about 8-10" of snow fell over a 5 hr period, was blowing in sideways for a bit. A bit more seemed to fall in the open areas as the tracks were all but filled in.

Climbing out of the bowl was a fun time. The fresh snow covered up the old snow that was icy from the prior 27 degree temps at night and made traction tough for us. Took about 45 minutes to get up it and a few pulls of cable.

Coming out of the spill way to the top of the dam was sketchy, due to the off camber drifts from the top. We went the safe way and took the low side, got one rig up then ran a safety from the top of the dam to the other rigs sliders. Didn't have any problems but made us feel better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.