Serious post: Off-road and expodition type products - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Vendor Forums > Scosche Industries
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Send a message via AIM to usmcdoc14 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcdoc14
Serious post: Off-road and expedition type products

seeing as your company might actually read this, there are a couple products that no one makes that need to be made that fit our needs. And we are a very large market, then you add on boaters and other outdoor sports people and you get a VERY large market..

1) A simple plug in to iPod to amplifier connector for us in buggies who do not want to run a head unit. WITH a simple waterproof/resistant volume and maybe a control. Simple rubber buttons, volume up/down, next/previous song and the like big enough to press the buttons wearing driving gloves. Maybe some mounting tabs on it.
This way we can run out ipod/whatever in a waterproof box and mount the control box on the dash without worry of anything with easy control.

2) an iPad and Droid tablet plug in that has RCA out but also has inputs for video in (backup cam) audio in, aux in and the like. This way your tablet can become your headunit with the ability to play regular FM, sat radio and all the other normal crap a headunit does.
My kenwood with NAV, bluetooth, camera in, vid in/out, sat in and all the bells and whistles costs like $900. You could get a tablet and then your adapter for HALF that and whoop its butt. Maybe even bundle it with a generic AM/FM reciever that can be controlled via an ap.
Ya lots of guys are doing custom installs but they still have no AM/FM unless you run another headunit, no sat radio unless the same, no backup cam unless you get another monitor...get the idea?

iPod may be a pain due to its proprietary plug but a driod based with it using a micro USB should be easy.

just need someone to package it.

Anyone else have any ideas or input?

You cant ban knowledge, learn to make your own guns right Here.
New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.

Last edited by usmcdoc14; 04-30-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 41250
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
seeing as your company might actually read this, there are a couple products that no one makes that need to be made that fit our needs. And we are a very large market, then you add on boaters and other outdoor sports people and you get a VERY large market..

1) A simple plug in to iPod to amplifier connector for us in buggies who do not want to run a head unit. WITH a simple waterproof/resistant volume and maybe a control. Simple rubber buttons, volume up/down, next/previous song and the like big enough to press the buttons wearing driving gloves. Maybe some mounting tabs on it.
This way we can run out ipod/whatever in a waterproof box and mount the control box on the dash without worry of anything with easy control.

2) an iPad and Droid tablet plug in that has RCA out but also has inputs for video in (backup cam) audio in, aux in and the like. This way your tablet can become your headunit with the ability to play regular FM, sat radio and all the other normal crap a headunit does.
My kenwood with NAV, bluetooth, camera in, vid in/out, sat in and all the bells and whistles costs like $900. You could get a tablet and then your adapter for HALF that and whoop its butt. Maybe even bundle it with a generic AM/FM reciever that can be controlled via an ap.
Ya lots of guys are doing custom installs but they still have no AM/FM unless you run another headunit, no sat radio unless the same, no backup cam unless you get another monitor...get the idea?

iPod may be a pain due to its proprietary plug but a driod based with it using a micro USB should be easy.

really beyond that it just becomes all about integration and marketing. there are a million things that can grow from there, if the marketing can sell it.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
www.SBWinVPS.com

Member # 28540
I remember reading somewhere that in the EU Apple ships all their iDevices with a dock to Micro USB. I'd love to use my Ipad in the Bronco to do everything Doc mentioned.

Email, Website and Blog hosting

SBWinVPS We can support your Land Use organization!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 117776
PerformanceElectronics.com is where i would start looking and if they dont have it they can probably point you in the direction to go.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
I make websites!

Member # 12429
Quote:

I second those ideas Sure would save time, money, and space!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 77042
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98blacktj View Post
I remember reading somewhere that in the EU Apple ships all their iDevices with a dock to Micro USB. I'd love to use my Ipad in the Bronco to do everything Doc mentioned.
Europe is crazy about things that make sense... like making all mfr's have ONE standard for cell phone chargers..Micro-USB. Folks don't have to throw a bunch of chargers away every time they get a new phone. Apple supplies these with every phone:

They're for charging only, no docking abilities. the actual device may be more of a dongle than an adapter; still charging only, no audio or video or IO.

Last edited by MrSammi; 04-30-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd W View Post
I second those ideas Sure would save time, money, and space!
I mean shit as it is with my Xoom:
Very good GPS and maping abilities.
Internet access.
Engine display and diagnostics.
Engine mapping.
HUGE display.

You combine that with the ability to play AM/FM, backup camera, Sat radio and if you realy realy want to kick ass a powered USB to run portable hard drives (ok, I am pushing it here ) and all the "normal" crap a good head unit does and you will screw up the market nicely
that and who leaves thier tablet in the car? Theft proof

Don't worry about mounts as there are alreay a bunch of very good mounts out there, just no one makes the connectors.

New York, Colorado, Maryland, Conneticut….is your state next? Yes it is. Write, Vote and Fight.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 83806
Quote:

What about something like this for control? It is meant for snowboarding so gloves aren't a issue. -> http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iEZCli...ref=pd_sim_e_8

Stream to the amp using a bluetooth receiver or run a wired connection to the waterproof container you are going to use. For volume, set the ipod at 90% max and use a remote gain for the amp.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fistful of Boomstick

Member # 13344
something like this but not $200 and no amp, just the controller and out puts for 2-4 channels.
http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...ker_11+PXI50.2
http://www.kicker.com/pxi502

Last edited by usmcdoc14; 05-01-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
No comment

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
Quote:
something like this but not $200 and no amp, just the controller and out puts for 2-4 channels.
What a stroke of luck. Exactly the item I was looking for last week without success to add tunes to my golf cart
Old 05-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wook Commander

Member # 81619
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
What a stroke of luck. Exactly the item I was looking for last week without success to add tunes to my golf cart
So something good did come from having them as a sponsor
Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
Quote:
You wouldn't need output to more than one channel. Just an input and a "pre-out" (2.5v RMS output to feed an amp). Then you would use an amp with as many channels as you want (2/4 for mids) (3/5/7 for mids + sub).

Or you would use RCA splitters to send the 2.5v output from the controller to a dedicated mid amp and seperate sub amp.

The controller you are describing would function exactly like I am using the head unit in my boat.

I plug in the Ipod and set it at max volume, then throw it in the dry storage. I use the volume/skip control on the head unit, but I don't use any speaker output, just send the "pre-out" to a 3 channel amp, which I have 2 6.5" front channel, 2 6.5" rear channel, and 1 12" sub.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBItoy View Post
You wouldn't need output to more than one channel. Just an input and a "pre-out" (2.5v RMS output to feed an amp). Then you would use an amp with as many channels as you want (2/4 for mids) (3/5/7 for mids + sub).

Or you would use RCA splitters to send the 2.5v output from the controller to a dedicated mid amp and seperate sub amp.

The controller you are describing would function exactly like I am using the head unit in my boat.

I plug in the Ipod and set it at max volume, then throw it in the dry storage. I use the volume/skip control on the head unit, but I don't use any speaker output, just send the "pre-out" to a 3 channel amp, which I have 2 6.5" front channel, 2 6.5" rear channel, and 1 12" sub.
I do like having at least 4 channel outputs so that you're not having to cut the power output of your line-in before you ever get it into your amp. Also, up the output RMS to at least 4v.

Sniper Fab
4x4Oil SBwinVPS Custom Splice C2GFab
Old 05-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 93732
Although it's not weather proof, and there is only volume control, this is the route I've always looked at:

Volume controller
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=8951

RCA Cable
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Accell-7-3...-iPod/12531490

This will allow me to use the factory ipod connector to always keep it plugged in and then I'll plug the RCA cables directly to an amp and call it good.

But now I'll have to look into that wireless device. It would be nice to change tracks, etc...
Old 05-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 140746
Annnnnnd nothing from Scosche yet?