Bend Pak lift....symmetric or asymetric - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 42539
Bend Pak lift....symmetric or asymetric

I narrowed my lift choice to a Bend Pak. It's either going to be a XPR-10ACX or XPR-10CX.

My race car is a Buick Grand National. Either lift would have no trouble lifting it. I'm not too concerned about opening the doors once it's up due to it having a roll cage in it.

The issue arises lifting a crew cab, 8' bed Ford F350 diesel, single rear wheel truck. I know the heavier trucks benefit from a symmetrical lift.

Also, I would like to put a vehicle on the lift backwards at times. The symmetrical lift wouldn't know the difference. It is not recommended to put a vehicle backwards on a asymmetrical lift but it can be done. The Buick weighs 3200lbs so I doubt the 10K asymmetric would "care".

The XPR-10ACX lift is capable of lifting either way, symmetric or asymmetric. Does anyone have any experience with the XPR-10ACX lifting vehicles either way?

Both would be set up in the wide option. The lift is for personal use.

Thanks

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Last edited by gnxtc2; 11-24-2011 at 06:29 PM.
gnxtc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 55462
I have a Bend Pac 10000 lb asymmetric lift in my personal shop. It has no problems lifting my 2003 F250, super cab, 8ft bed, diesel, 4x4 tow rig as long as I pull a little more forward to help balance the load. I would not try to lift the truck backwards for sure with it so If that would be an issue I'd get the symmetric one. I have lifted my 67 Fairlane facing backwards once and had no issues. The only real benefit in my opinion to the asym. lift is that you can open the doors wider to get into and out of the vehicle easier.

I try to pull my f250 through till the mirror on the door is just past the lift post. The main thing to keep in mind it the vehicles center of gravity needs to be between the lift arms where they touch the frame to be stable. I will use one of those "dead man" screw type jackstands under the hitch of the truck to help stabilize it if I'm doing heavy work such as changing the clutch.

The shop I work at has nothing but asymmetric lifts also.
PowerStrokeTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
With the Xtra wide drive thru clearance opening the doors is less of an issue, so get the symmetric IMO.

I've got the XPR-10XC and have no complaints, altho I bought it for lifting trucks. The smallest thing I've ever had on it is either a GMC Canyon or a Dodge Caravan.

I've had the same experience as trkklr77 - even crew cab diesels dont' change the tone of the pump motor, or the lifting speed from what I can see.

edit: note that while it may be symmetric, the front and rear arms are different. Front arms are 3 stage, rear arms are 2 stage, but as stated above they should be able to be swapped as BP doesn't know what's "front" or "rear" in your shop and the columns are square to one another.

Last edited by D60; 11-26-2011 at 06:56 PM.
D60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
MASTER TECH

Member # 54844
i have both at work. for cars and non heavy shit the asymetric is nice, although i do lift big shit with that one ( crew cab 4xs ) i prefer to use the "normal " one for full size stuff. its easyer to load big stuff on
: me fuckers

build up of the truggy
/forum/ford/544813-update-pics.html
f250rollinon37s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 124086
for a crew cab long box truck i'd definitely get the symetrical, if you had a short box i'd say get the a symetrical but the long box's make me nervous, generally i would rather have the big symetrical for any of the crew cab pickups but beings there are only 2 in the shop sometimes we make due. so in short get the symetrical and about lifting cars backwards, i doesn't matter with either so long as you hit the right lift points you'll be ok. most smaller cars don't even need to be strait on the hoist to lift. so long as the arms reach without over extending
dodgeguy6123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.