New 1/4" Impact Drivers vs. "Pocket Drivers"?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 156636
New 1/4" Impact Drivers vs. "Pocket Drivers"??

So I'm looking for a smaller driver-type drill to complement my Milwaukee 18" 1/2" hammer drill, which is really fucking heavy to use over your head for any length of time...

So I'm looking at the Bosch pocket driver vs. the "impact driver" and I'm not really sure what the difference would be, functionally, for what I do (or don't know I can use it for)... I plan on using it to help my grandpa put a metal ceiling in his pole barn, put up shelves, drive deck screws, maybe small lag bolts (1/4 x 2"), etc...

It would seem to me that these 2 units basically do the same job, but then, that's why I'm asking...

What makes one better than the other? Seems like they both drive screws, but the Pocket Driver can also drill pilot holes and such, while the impact can maybe break loose rusted machine screws, as well, or something?

Input?

Thanks,
Mike
barton174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 103040
I have the pair(Bosch 12v pocket driver/impact driver) and if I had to choose one over the other I'd def go with the impact driver. I use it for everything. I'm a mechanic and use it daily and it's been going for 4+ years now with no issues and still works as it did when it was new. One battery will last quite a while and you will be suprised at the power it has. I have three batteries and all of them are original and are still as strong as when they were new.

The pocket driver is handy but has alot lower speed than the impact and while it still has good torque it doesn't come close to what the impact can do. I use it mostly for interior work where lighter torque and slower speed is your friend.

The impact works great with self tappers and lag bolts. It will break smaller (5/16 thread and down) bolts and screws if you want it to. When I first got it they advertised that it would drive 300+ 3" deck screws on a single charge. They did not lie.

If either of mine ever break I will be buying another set.

I also use unibits alot on the impact driver and it handles them very well.

Finally, the batteries charge quite quickly and being lithium ion they run at max performance until just before they're dead. Another really handy thin is that being 12v the batteries work great for testing automotive stuff and they will run a power window up and down, run radios, test headlights, and all sorts of other stuff. The connections on the top accept a male spade terminal, are labeled + & - and I have a set of jumper wires I made just for them.

Last edited by marvilusone; 12-27-2011 at 08:03 AM.
marvilusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 156636
Good info, thanks!

You've got the ones with the battery up in the handle, right? They've got a new one with the slide-on battery like a drill, now, as well...

I see that the impact driver doesn't have a variable clutch... How easy is it to get a specific torque on a bolt? Is it something that I might as well just buy the set with both, if I want to put in a bunch of screws at the same torque setting?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 103040
Quote:
Originally Posted by barton174 View Post
Good info, thanks!

You've got the ones with the battery up in the handle, right? They've got a new one with the slide-on battery like a drill, now, as well...

I see that the impact driver doesn't have a variable clutch... How easy is it to get a specific torque on a bolt? Is it something that I might as well just buy the set with both, if I want to put in a bunch of screws at the same torque setting?

Thanks,
Mike
Yes, I have the set with the batteries in the butt of the handle.

The triggers on both are very sensitive and you can easily control speed and torque. I'd recommend the set just due to the flexibility. You will find yourself using them more than you originally thought.

The really funny thing is I also have the Milwaukee 18v Lithium Ion 1/2" drill and impact driver set and I hardly use them. Unless you're drilling large holes in thick steel the Bosch set will do everything the Milwaukee set will except with alot less size and weight.

I also have one of the 1/4" hex Dewalt keyless chucks to use on the impact when I need to use drill bits that don't have the 1/4" hex end on them.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 156636
I do drill 5/8" holes quite a bit, as well as using a 1.75" hole saw a lot with the 1/2" drill (both of these are usually in 3/16" and 1/4" steel), but like you say, I'm looking for something that can do the rest of the stuff without the extra weight, unless I need the extra capacity...

MIke
Old 12-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 153116
the milwaukee M12 stuff is very nice as well. my dad bought em and for being 12V lithium they have a good amount of power. plus another nice theing the battiers are pretty cheap too $30 for an extra battery is nice compared to what most lithium batteries cost..
370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4506
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370 View Post
the milwaukee M12 stuff is very nice as well. my dad bought em and for being 12V lithium they have a good amount of power. plus another nice theing the battiers are pretty cheap too $30 for an extra battery is nice compared to what most lithium batteries cost..
X2 on the M12 stuff. And they have a pretty extensive line that sounds silly at first till you start trying some of the stuff out.

I've had one of the M12 Drills for a couple years now, use it ALL the time unless I need to drill something big or know I'm going to need extended time, for quick stuff, its my go-to. Just picked up the M12 impact ($100 for the tool, case, charger, 2 regular batteries and a "free" extended use battery, couldn't pass it up) as I use my 18V impacts ALL the time but wanted something more portable.

I'm pretty sure however that Botch, Makita, Milwaukee and even Dewalt (which I"m not a fan of any more) little "12V" units perform about the same, so it comes to personal preference. I've been impressed with Milwaukee's quality as the product variety. The Ryobi stuff probably isn't that bad either, for a cheaper option.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
I make websites!

Member # 12429
I don't like the grips on the smaller Milwaukee's they feel "Fat" and non-ergonomic.

I like my Hilti impact driver. I use it for everything around the house, and after years of usage it's still got good batteries.

It's balanced, and can stand up by itself, I have wrist fatigue from working all day and this tool doesn't kill my wrist lifting overheard for hours on end.

My v28 on the other hand is a fucking tank, and it's duty now are serious drilling, and mixing paint
Old 12-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 137633
Ive got the bosch lithium impact others mentioned, that things impressive for its size. I just dont use it much anymore since my wreck. I would sell mine and the other tools reasonable. I have the pivot head screw driver thing, the multi tool like the dremel multi max and the impact with 5 batteries(think its 5). Pm me if interested. Only the impact has been used much.
slngblde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Yes on every thing mention about the Bosch impact, use mine everywhere. Got it to hang osb in my garage and it was fantastic. Does help to drill a small pilot hole, helps bats last a bit longer. If you can get a combo set I would but if just one then the impact.

Experience is what you get 30 seconds after you need it

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 156636
Perfect, thanks guys! Being that the impact is the expensive one of the set, I might as well pay the extra $30 and get the set...

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 55362
Im about to make a purchase myself, anyone have any experience with botht he Bosch and Makita units? I've never owned anything Makita but have always heard good stuff about them. Looking for input from anyone who has experience w/ the Makita 12v stuff. Thanks.
Acts 20:24
hardline04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 45530
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardline04 View Post
Im about to make a purchase myself, anyone have any experience with botht he Bosch and Makita units? I've never owned anything Makita but have always heard good stuff about them. Looking for input from anyone who has experience w/ the Makita 12v stuff. Thanks.
Bought the 18V Makita set right when I started the rebuild on my house. I got the blue set with the 3ah batteries, and I love them. You won't be disappointed in the Makita stuff
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 55362
Gotcha, thanks for the imput. I was hoping to hear from someone who had experience with the 12v stuff.
Acts 20:24

Last edited by hardline04; 12-30-2011 at 02:28 PM.
hardline04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 156636
I picked up the pair, today... Wow! Awesome!

I also picked up a dewalt keyless chuck for it, and also returned it today... Wouldn't grip anything well enough to drill metal... Anybody have any recs for good keyless chucks? The chuck on my Milwaukee is great, but I am trying to find a hex one like that...

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 169608
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardline 04 View Post
Gotcha, thanks for the input. I was hoping to hear from someone who had experience with the 12v stuff.
I work on large aircraft for a living and we use the little 12v Makita screw guns and impact drivers on a daily basis. They are nice & light when ya got hundreds of screws to remove or install.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote