Craftsman tool returns---rust? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 89191
Craftsman tool returns---rust?

Has anyone gotten Sears to trade out Craftsman wrenches or other hand tool due to rust? I've heard they'll do it, but never tried myself.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 148322
i took in several ratchets last month, one was rusty and he said they couldnt take it because the rust was considered "abuse"

but it also could have been that i took 8 ratchets 10 sockets and 3 wrenches
Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 148442
No.

Put it in a vice, and snap it off with a sledge. They warranty BROKEN tools, not worn ones.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 176186
Who gives a shit about rust on their tools?!?
deter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
If your tool gets rusty its on you. If you try to return it because it rusted you are a total fucking idiot, I don't care what the sellers policy is. What is this world coming to
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
I make websites!

Member # 12429
Is this tool within the last 2 years or really old ?

The quality of steel and plating has gone down hill BIG TIME so it wouldn't surprise me if it was even a couple months old.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 74528
Sears has never turned down any exchanges for me even obvious abuse. I don't intentionally break them just to trade them or anything, but when you bring in 11 flatblade screwdrivers all with broken off tips, you are obviously prying with them.
PatJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 148322
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatJ View Post
Sears has never turned down any exchanges for me even obvious abuse. I don't intentionally break them just to trade them or anything, but when you bring in 11 flatblade screwdrivers all with broken off tips, you are obviously prying with them.
Do they warranty the broken tips? I never even thought about taking them back and trying.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Welder Whore

Member # 1129
Quote:
not necessarily.

Crapsman screwdrivers are the worse. I recently broke 2 of them simply trying to unscrew a tight screw. They were a gift. I guess my BIL doesnt like me

With the ratchets, I had 2 of them that werent working and the guy tried to get me to take rebuild kits. I told him that he would have to install them as I didnt know how

Hashtags are for fags
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26468
Send a message via AIM to BigWoodyWag
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
If your tool gets rusty its on you. If you try to return it because it rusted you are a total fucking idiot, I don't care what the sellers policy is. What is this world coming to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd W View Post
Is this tool within the last 2 years or really old ?

The quality of steel and plating has gone down hill BIG TIME so it wouldn't surprise me if it was even a couple months old.
I run a landspeed car out at Bonneville twice a year, big flat dry (sometimes) lake made of salt. I dont think I own a wrench that doesnt have rust on it somewhere. You can tell with one look in my big ass rolling Montezuma pitbox which tools are either fairly new (5 years or less) or very used. Every single wrench has surface rust along the edges, especially the lettering. The ones that dont are either old or you are only seeing the end of the wrench that my hands have recently worn the rust off with. The non-chromed sections like the spinning portion on a Ratcheting Gear wrench, disgusting, hammers disgusting. And I coat them all liberally with Gibbs oil regularly.

My point, these new wrenches aint made like the old ones the chrome is junk doesnt protect and wears off, scratches through by looking at it. And the environment I use them in brings out their shitty quality in less than a week. That is whats sad.

As for returning them for being rusty, I havent had a problem, but again they were broke....
Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22176
Quote:
I used to do this with our work tools. No point in driving over for just 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
If you can make wine in a toilet, you can make wine in Texas.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 127884
I might go try tomorrow. I've got several rusty sockets but it's due to the chrome flaking off. Its worth a try I guess.
jeep1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 113418
Smile

Just be careful in the fine print it says craftsman tools are not warrantied for commercial use!!

I got burned big time on this then started having the girl friend them one piece at a time.

Then I have not bought any of there tools in a few years.
Wyoming9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 153116
sears will take basically anything back. after our shop fire my dad tried taking a few things back and they said no problem. obviously he didn't say they were in a garage fire. i ran some steel wool over em before they went back. in one trip i did over 100 sockets. never got any attitude from anyone. no snide remarks. nothing like that they were happy to exchange them. and that was at 4 different sears stores.. if the guy gave you shit about a rusty wrench he's just a douche
370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 53344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming9 View Post
Just be careful in the fine print it says craftsman tools are not warrantied for commercial use!!

I got burned big time on this then started having the girl friend them one piece at a time.
Works every time. If you walk in with your shop shirt on and try to warranty them out...good luck!
PureFunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 46170
Yup happened to me too. Walked in with my uniform on and denied. Went back later in shorts and flip flops "yes sir we can take care of that for you". I avoid that bullshit store. If a socket is broke it shouldn't matter what kind of shirt I have on.

Last edited by WHATAHEEP; 02-24-2012 at 12:28 AM.
WHATAHEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 112826
i took in a 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets that were rusted, walked out with new ones. i think it depends on the people working in there.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 74528
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 slo-vo View Post
Do they warranty the broken tips? I never even thought about taking them back and trying.

Yes they do, or at least my Sears does. I am trying not to exaggerate here but I think between my "work" tools and my home tools (all owned and purchased by me) I have at least 5-6 sets of the $40 screwdriver sets - it might be more. Some of my trades have to be on at least their 4th generation trade some probably more. I have brought in broken tips, bent screwdrivers, and screwdrivers with handles smashed from obvious "chisel" use. All were traded without question. I don't bother going in there unless I have at least 10 broken tools to trade.

That is why I continue to buy Craftsman tools to this day. I think they are at least decent quality tools (at least as good as any others) and they trade them without question. I spend hundreds of dollars per year at Sears on new tools. The second they question me on swapping a $4 screwdriver they will never see another penny from me again.
PatJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 27362
Get yourself a little tub, and a bottle of CLR, Basically Phosphoric acid and put the tool in for a quick dip. It will convert the rust. Wash the acid off, and then a quick spray with WD-40 and a dry wipe and you are done.

The tool should have a little coat of Grease/Oil anyways.

Or are your talking about a totally rusted to. Surface rust usually comes off quite easily with this treatment.

Carl
cbrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 130142
my local sears tool associates are a bunch of douche bags. No matter what I bring in there i get the 50 questions of how it broke or what i was working on or why it broke or what phase of the moon it was. Its like they think their paying for the replacements or some shit. Ive learned though before they get to deep into the broken tool interrogation I just ask the rather loudly "are you calling me a fuckin liar", usually ends the questions.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 107356
i used to work at osh, you could defiantly return it there. they would replace rusty screwdrivers everyday.
gnar4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 65365
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokewrench View Post
my local sears tool associates are a bunch of douche bags. No matter what I bring in there i get the 50 questions of how it broke or what i was working on or why it broke or what phase of the moon it was. Its like they think their paying for the replacements or some shit. Ive learned though before they get to deep into the broken tool interrogation I just ask the rather loudly "are you calling me a fuckin liar", usually ends the questions.
this is what i get.

the one local to me now has a couple of worthless younger guys there that went to UTI and know everything there is to know about tools and fasteners and will make sure to let you know this. the one douche was trying to tell me how to build my motor and what i needed to do to make it spin faster when i hit the gas pedal and not have so much lag.
91YEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 198862
I agree that it depends on the store.

One Sears I go to the older gentleman and ladies smile then say to go grab a new tool off the shelf and bring the old and they'll swap it no problem.

Then one store i went to with broken tin snips. The guy grabbed the new ones off the shelf and said "the package says to return to manufacturer" I looked at him saying "well those are Richmond brand off set snips. Mine are craftsman brand" he looks at me and shrugs saying he can't help me Thankfully for him I live 1.5hrs away from that store now
BotterbrodtGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 22209
My nice Craftsman commercial grade 48" aluminum level wasn't reading level anymore.
I bought it 7 or 8 years ago for home use, because I was sick of using crappy levels.

Upon trying to return it,
I learned they've changed their line up of levels since then.

They still have a garbage bottom of the line 48" aluminum Craftsman for $24,

nothing mid grade, or commercial grade,

then a whole selection of gee wiz electronic & lazer 48" levels in the $80-100+ range.
(by the way, the overpriced Craftsman techno levels only carry a 1 year warranty)

So I took the 48" I have apart, & reset the vials.
I wasn't sure if it would work, but was able to spin the vials into positions where they were right on the money.

Well good enough for my 120 year old crooked house anyway.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 25058
Bad mood today pal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
When my Uncle passed away he had lots of Craftsman Tools.
The tools were from the 70's and I myself own a huge amount of Craftsman as well. I took back all of the ones I needed to replace and "Whamo" brand new tools. Sears and Craftsman are o.k. by me, I will always spend my money there.
xxxxxxxxxhigh country cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote