I hate humidity... Sweating floor - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 67907
I hate humidity... Sweating floor

My 1500sq ft pole barn is currently a swamp, this happens every spring as the pad warms up. Every time we get a hint of humidity my floor turns to water.
I fully understand why this is happening, I am kicking myself for not putting in in floor heat so that I could help reduce this effect.

The shop is sealed fairly well, however every time I am out there I have all the doors opened up, as I am moving things in and out, and this time of year it tends to be colder inside than out. Even with the doors closed it starts to sweat near all the doors.

Is there anything I can do? It sucks to work out there this time of year because the moisture, anything on the ground instantly rusts, my Mill and Lathe get destroyed this time of year.

I am thinking of putting a dehumidifier out there to keep the moisture down when its closed up, is there anything else I can do?

I cant wait to move back to Colorado, I had no idea what humidity was until I came out here, and I liked it that way.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Slab is cool - air is moist and warm - moisture will condense on cool surfaces.

As you say, being able to warm the slab is about the only solution. Dehumidifier isn't going to do much because you'll be getting warm moist air in. Overhead radiant heaters that warm up the slab are a possible solution.
GET INVOLVED - Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition

'93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500 NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 170K
'85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 64925
Send a message via MSN to grnd93
I get the same problem in my garage...no clue how to fix it
Old 04-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 103610
Send a message via AIM to jeep937
Mine does it too.. Everything metal in my shop gets rusty..
jeep937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Bean flicker

Member # 43637
Air movement helps. My floor does the same, and my shop is sealed up like a ticks ass. It still does it. Really bad under vehicles. So I put some small fans in the shop pointing under the vehicles, and it stops.

This year, I'll be getting two of those big 4' diameter shop fans to help move my A/C air around and to keep the floors dry.
Back in college, we were making up acetylene balloons and putting them in a box to take off to light. Guy comes into the room, goes "Balloons!" and grabs a balloon, rubs it on his head, and sticks it to the wall... Everyone was diving for cover...
Ol'Customcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Got Solar?

Member # 105362
A dehumidifier will definitely help.

I have the same problem with my shop (1800 sq ft). I keep a 50pt dehumidifier running over my floor drain and it "fixes" the problem. It doesn't really shut off during the spring. By early summer, it's running on and off. I try to keep the humidity around 45-50%. My bare steel doesn't rust, freshly blasted parts don't rust, my shop manuals don't get wrinkly, no floor sweating, etc. I'll get minor floor sweating if I open one of the garage doors localized to that area, but I try to minimize being in/out.

Your best solution is to minimize the amount of time you have doors open (keep it sealed), and to remove the moisture from the air as quickly as possible (keep it dehumidified). Moving the air around to keep humidity levels equalized throughout the shop is a good idea too, but I generally don't find the need in my shop.

I know you said you have the doors open often while you're working out there, so I really can't think of a good solution for that problem, other than to stop doing that.

Last edited by krugford; 04-16-2012 at 04:15 PM.
krugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wish it was my job!

Member # 2134
Send a message via AIM to foley
I have been known to turn on my ac when it's 60 degrees out due to this problem. All I can suggest is dehumidifiers and ac. Running the ac 1-2 degree below ambient drops humidity considerably, increases productivity, and does not cost too much.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
foley is offline   Reply With Quote