CandCNC DTHC problem (I think) - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 190168
I'm cutting a bunch of 10 guage, and fine that THC is not really needed, but I have a few things coming that need to be much thinner. But even with 10guage I find that the sheet is not always level, and with the THC it really makes no diffrence.

A little off topic but what plasma do you have? I'm trying to cut some 1.25 holes in 1/2 inch and it's just not working all that well. Winder if you have the same plasma I do Pm65) and if you cut 1/2 was wondering how your edge quality was.

Also congrats on the wedding. I'm coming up on 8 years the time flys.......
03ramit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 10
Another thing to consider--the more you use your table, you'll get some dross and garbage built up on the slats, which will make them less and less level as time goes on. With the DTHC functioning properly, you'll rarely notice it...but if you're cutting with it off, you'll drag the torch here and there.

Also, I've seen some decent warping during cutting on even thicker stuff, depending on how low I let my water level get before refilling it.

On the off-topic holes in 1/2"...I get good quality holes with my PM45 cutting at about 10 IPM on smallish holes like that. (18 IPM on the "normal" cutting on 1/2")
Old 07-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 33442
I have a Hypertherm PM45 and haven't done holes yet but I'm planning on it this weekend - I actually have the file open right now, just haven't edited it yet. What I have read is that when doing holes, you want to start the pierce in the center of the hole (lead in) and then turn the IPM down about half like I Lean said. Also shut the torch off immediately, don't use a lead out or anything. This is all from Jim Colt. He has a post on here somewhere showing small holes in various materials, all pretty thick, and while they aren't perfect, they are good enough for a bolt to go through. He programmed the holes to be like .010" larger than what he actually wanted. If you are struggling with edge quality, I bet it's cutting too fast. Slow it down and you will get more slag but the hole will be cleaner. I'm going to attempt 9/16" holes in 3/8" material which I know is not within the range of what is recommended, but Jim Colt did it so I know it's possible. Gotta use perfect consumables for that too.

I Lean, that's a good point about the slag build up. I'm starting to see that already. I'll definitely get the DTHC going soon, right now I just need to cut a bunch of stuff and get a little ahead so I can spend more time playing with the table. This table has already saved me so much time, I am just grateful that it's running. I went from spending about 8 hours on one set of brackets to spending 45 minutes on the same set with better results, and once I get the table to cut the holes, that will save another 28 minutes. It's insane.

And speaking of water tables, I had 15 gallons in mine before I left. My brother just sent me a message that the table is totally empty. That's how hot it is in my shop right now. Think I'm going to see if I can stay another week down here in Antigua where it's only 90 during the day.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 35501
Did you ever solve this? I'm having the exact same problem with my CandCNC hardeware and PM65. I've tried everything and cannot get it to stop diving on pierces as it moves to cut.

I'm pulling my hair out, this table has been a complete battle and now my plasma has started missfiring mid cut and turning back on, Hypertherm says table, CandCNC says plasma.....

Needless to say I don't lock my garage anymore as I hope this all gets stolen.
Phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 190168
Have you asked your questions on the candcnc yahoo group? Give me the details. Of your cut ie ipm, thickness, hole size ect
Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 35501
No I don't have a yahoo acount but I should.

It happens on every pierce yet. haha

fine cuts;
40 amp, 1/16" 120 ipm, .08 pierce, .06 cut height
45amp, 1/8" hypertherm book specs (can't remember)

45amp tips

45amps, 1/4", book specs (from memory 55 ipm, .1 pierce, .06 cut height)

65 amp tips

65 amps 5/8", 21ipm, .24" pierce height, .06 cut height.

All plunge into the plate after the pierce.... whether cutting a hole, a straigh line, lead in or not ect..........

Last edited by Phill; 02-28-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #32 (permalink)
MC
Pulverize Rocks

Member # 21997
Send a message via Yahoo to MC
You guys need to experiment with your plasma cutters before going off Hypertherms cut height list. Too many times folks do not know their switch offset and run strait off Hypertherms book. This is a no no with a Z like that. Tip volts will set cut height and until you know where you are set with your switch offset do not assume your cut height should be to the book. In fact when your cutting thinner materials and they dont lay flat you cannot use the book cut heights. Raise your cut height in your sheecam tool at least .040 and start there. If you fire and it sits there is it either out of tip volts range (error on the bottom of the screen) or it hasnt sent an ARC ok. You also need to make sure the mechanics of the Z are working on the second slide so it doesnt hang up then drop.

Fully machined components
We build CNC plasma tables, click me
.................................................. .........

American Motors Engine HERE!!
TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 190168
I agree, and with a floating head, you need to set the switch offset in the post. Once done, as long as you use that post you can use book specs. I always run book specs, and have no issues. It took some tweaking to get it right, but once you do. Book specs are ideal. It's too easy to set up the machine. You cannot read into anything in the manuals, and take it exactly as written. And do every step. And the end result will be a great running machine. But I also calibrate medical equipment for a living, and its second nature to follow the book. If we don't and someone dies, it's my fault. In the garage if something is not right it's only a little agrivation and lost $. But follow the steps and it will allow you to run book specs.

Last edited by 03ramit1; 03-01-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 190168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post
No I don't have a yahoo acount but I should.

It happens on every pierce yet. haha

fine cuts;
40 amp, 1/16" 120 ipm, .08 pierce, .06 cut height
45amp, 1/8" hypertherm book specs (can't remember)

45amp tips

45amps, 1/4", book specs (from memory 55 ipm, .1 pierce, .06 cut height)

65 amp tips

65 amps 5/8", 21ipm, .24" pierce height, .06 cut height.

All plunge into the plate after the pierce.... whether cutting a hole, a straigh line, lead in or not ect..........
What post are you using? Is the switch offset set correctly? That are you dthc delays set to? Are you following book specs for the pierce delay? What is the volt adjustment set to? It should be 4/4. If you have tweaked a bunch of settings, uninstall Mach and sheet cam and start fresh. Follow every step in the manual. And when it says "refer to section XYZ" go there and go through the steps. Don't just "think" you know what it says. The biggest thing about a Cnc plasma is the details. One misplaced . Or number can cause huge headaches. The machine cannot think on its own, it can only follow the commands in the code established by the user.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 33442
Phill PM'ed me, but I wanted to update in case others come across this later.

I've been using the table so much that I don't have time to mess with the THC. I am hoping to get back to it once tax season is over. I just disabled the THC and keep my slats clean; with the thicker materials I cut it has worked fine 99% of the time.

It's been so long since I messed with any of this, I can't remember a lot. But I do recall that I never opened up the PM45 and I think that was part of the process. Now that I'm much more familiar with the software, I'm going to back everything up and just do a clean install, and see where that gets me.

Other than that, the whole setup has been great. I'm light years ahead of where I was prior to buying this machine. Won't be long and I'll be upgrading to a 5x10 with a PM85.