Vise ID? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Antisocial
 
JMAN3203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member # 139337
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 685
Vise ID?

Picked up 3 vices off of craigslist today for the hefty sum of $100. One is a Fuller, the other a Fulton Machine & Vise, and the last I'm guessing foreign. No markings on it at all other than "High Test" on one of the jaws; and what appears to be a backward F with a regular P next to it, underlined by an U.

First pics is vise in question, and yes this is in my apartment...
Attached Images
     
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKE
Think with dispassion, speak with equanimity, act in calm
JMAN3203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member # 41764
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Posts: 2,160
The 'foreign vise' is a Leinen I believe, made in Poland.
__________________
Tow Rig: 2006 Dodge 2500 610CTD/G56/NP271/AAM9.25/AAM11.5
Trail Rig: 1997 K1500 LQ9/4l80e/NP241/D60/14FF and some stuff in between

No one is ever gone if they are always remembered.
JasonPayneMemorial
bggrnchvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Member # 104430
Location: Keremeos BC
Posts: 112
How u consider 33 bucks a vise a hefty sum I dunno...but eh...WTF do I know I"m Canadian

I'd drop a 100 on those three for sure!
riotwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Antisocial
 
JMAN3203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member # 139337
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by bggrnchvy View Post
The 'foreign vise' is a Leinen I believe, made in Poland.
I was looking at Leinen and they're German, and slightly different design. Perhaps this one is a bastard?

Anywho, found it. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...s-a-slick-vise Mine has the Hi-Test and No 327 on the fixed jaw, but didn't find the Made In Poland.

Was inspecting mine when I noticed it was...







cracked. Bummer, I could weld it back up, but don't really wanna. It's not cracked all the way through, except for the end. So would I just need to grind out the crack 'till I hit solid metal, heat it, and then stick weld it?
Attached Images
    
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKE
Think with dispassion, speak with equanimity, act in calm
JMAN3203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Antisocial
 
JMAN3203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member # 139337
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by riotwarrior View Post
How u consider 33 bucks a vise a hefty sum I dunno...but eh...WTF do I know I"m Canadian

I'd drop a 100 on those three for sure!
I was being sarcastic.

Here's some more pics of the other two.
Attached Images
     
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKE
Think with dispassion, speak with equanimity, act in calm
JMAN3203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
64Trvlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Member # 6582
Location: Northern AZ
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN3203 View Post
Was inspecting mine when I noticed it was...
cracked. Bummer, I could weld it back up, but don't really wanna. It's not cracked all the way through, except for the end. So would I just need to grind out the crack 'till I hit solid metal, heat it, and then stick weld it?
Is its cast iron Id drill the ends of the crack and then V grind the crack. Then Id pre-heat it, peen the hell out of it, use nickel rod to weld it and then pack it in sand until it cools off.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
You must be able to blow harder than me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Ray Boudreaux
Shooting is gay.
D.A.V. Life Member

N.R.A. Life Member
64Trvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.