JD2 Model 53-Anybody seen or used one? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 04:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
JD2 Model 53-Anybody seen or used one?

It looks like a good bit of machine for the money. $3895 with stand and hydraulics. Does anyone have any personal experience with one? The video demo on their site looks pretty promising. I don't have much experience bending tube but I get customers asking about it all the time which is the reason for considering jumping to something like this right off the bat rather than one of the other Hossfeld style benders.

Model 53 Rotary Bender Demonstration Video by JD Squared, Inc. - YouTube
MQYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
118 views and nothing? If nobody on pirate has seen one nor has not a single comment, then I'm afraid that's a bad sign for the 53. It looked really promising regardless.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 155913
When did that come out? I've been using JD2 for almost 3 years and don't recall seeing it before. Is it new?

Looks promising as it's nearly a couple of grand less than a Bailiegh RD 150. But, with all JD2 getting the unit and dies takes a while. Or has the time I got mine and the times I needed dies.

How much tubing are you going to bend? I've done pretty well with a Model 3 air over hydraulic but were I to do it over or do much more offroad I'd get at least a Model 32. If you aren't going to get into production quantities, bend thick tubing or produce many parts, you may be able to get by with a Model 32 for the time being. if you are going to go into production soon, you'll need something like the 50 series or one of the other larger benders.

The thing about the smaller benders is they retain resale value pretty well. If you don't need the capacity you could start now, then lease/buy when you really need it and sell the smaller bender.

Last edited by vegasloki; 08-11-2012 at 08:14 PM.
vegasloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 83191
New to me too, but I want one!
HardCharger81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasloki View Post
When did that come out? I've been using JD2 for almost 3 years and don't recall seeing it before. Is it new?

Looks promising as it's nearly a couple of grand less than a Bailiegh RD 150. But, with all JD2 getting the unit and dies takes a while. Or has the time I got mine and the times I needed dies.

How much tubing are you going to bend? I've done pretty well with a Model 3 air over hydraulic but were I to do it over or do much more offroad I'd get at least a Model 32. If you aren't going to get into production quantities, bend thick tubing or produce many parts, you may be able to get by with a Model 32 for the time being. if you are going to go into production soon, you'll need something like the 50 series or one of the other larger benders.

The thing about the smaller benders is they retain resale value pretty well. If you don't need the capacity you could start now, then lease/buy when you really need it and sell the smaller bender.
I'm not sure how long it's been out. I remember seeing a thread on the 52 a while back when it first came out. I think the main difference is that the 53 is hydro instead of air over hydraulic which assume increases speeds in both directions. I like the price compared to the Baileigh bender too although the 53 is a 2 shot to 180 and the Baileigh is a one shot iirc. Besides that, I'm going to have a hard time giving money to Baileigh again.

As of right now I don't have a much bending to do at all. But in our shop it's kind of one of those things where if you build/buy it they will come.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 78096
It's a really nice bender. They were at the rpm offroad open house demoing it a few weeks ago. The machine is very easy to operate. Removing tube is very easy (even 180's). Jd2 is 30 miles from my house and if I replace my bender it will be for a 53. The numerical control makes it almost brainless to use. Once they add an indexer it will be even easier.
Jeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep07 View Post
It's a really nice bender. They were at the rpm offroad open house demoing it a few weeks ago. The machine is very easy to operate. Removing tube is very easy (even 180's). Jd2 is 30 miles from my house and if I replace my bender it will be for a 53. The numerical control makes it almost brainless to use. Once they add an indexer it will be even easier.

Good to hear. I was impressed by what I saw in the video and the pictures on their site. I figured if it didn't get a bunch of replies saying it was a worthless tube bender, but would make a great boat anchor, then it will likely be the one I put in my shop in the near future.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 85729
I will be picking one up this week
cbboatworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Benders and Notchers

Member # 205278
We have been shipping a lot of these out the door since they starting shipping them back in March 2012. We estimate around 300 have left the door. Thanks to all those who support JD2 and our products!
Fax: (423) 979-2426
Made in the USA
www.JD2.com
JD Squared Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 159711
I am also interested in this bender. There is very little in the way of reviews out there. Does anyone have more experiences?
Cts6867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 184847
what ever happened here Matt?
If you get a bender I already have a job for you. or if you have access to a bender the job is yours. short production run on some pier stuff.
North Shore Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
I sort of put this on the back burner due to being slammed with work shortly after posting this thread. It's still on the list of must haves but other things have taken priority recently. I'm interested in what you need for bending. Shoot me an email with some sketches, or list of what you need and I'll see what might be possible.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 23566
Send a message via AIM to SirMrManGuy
Looks solid in the video. My only worry is that the threaded rod used to pressure the follower die appears to be normal all thread, so I'd wonder if it would gall/wear after alot of use. Would rather see a stub ACME shaft because of the superior wear and load handling properties.

Its probably not moved enough to be a big deal and would probably cost a bit more, so maybe a nitpicky comment.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 159711
I know this is an older thread but since these benders have been out a bit longer, I was curious if there are any more people that have some experience with them. JD2 is having a 10% off sale right now so I am thinking strongly about ordering one this week.

I am looking to start a small shop ( a hobby that could turn into a full time job in 3-5 years) that would focus on motorcycle repair including making accessories (handlebars, rear hardtail sections, forward controls, etc...) as well as catering to the off road group (tube bumpers, sliders, cross members, cages, hoops, etc...). I am of the mindset to buy big and grow into the tool vs outgrow a tool and update later.

Any input would be great.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 39274
I have a model 53. its light years ahead of a model 3. the digital readout to a 10th of a degree is very very nice. the auto bend stop feature is nice too, i dont use it very much because i'm a control freak and like to watch the read out. i also have the infeed/ positioning table. the chuck wont pass anything larger than 1.25 tube, i found it was a waste of space and have since took it off and replaced it with a digital inclinameter, and a pipe stand on wheels so I can work off of the full stick,vs cutting and wasting material/money. long story short I love it, nice machine, my only complaint is, I stand close to the machine (i'm 5'7") and I'm constanly hitting my feet on the base. I'm planning on making a mod to the base to get closer. other things I changed, I added a 110v recep to the work side of the machine and relocated the on/off switch so I dont have to bend over. I do alot of chassis mods as well as cages in cars for nhra,scca,fia,formula drift,etc. just to give you an idea of what I'm using it for. hope that helps . Bill
Old 05-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 159711
This is exactly what I was looking for. With the current 10% off, its too good to pass on right now.

This machine is more than I currently need but I should never outgrow it.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
Benders and Notchers

Member # 205278
JD Squared will be back at RPM Off Road in Bristol TN this weekend June 14th 2013, We will have a Model 32, 52 and Model 53 will be on demo, for everyone to see how it works. So come out and see us.

Thank you
Fax: (423) 979-2426
Made in the USA
www.JD2.com
JD Squared Inc is offline   Reply With Quote