5x10HD plasma build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
5x10HD plasma build

Alright folks, figured I'd toss this together. Finally got the ball rolling, material in, welder fired up and gantry in house. I wanted to do this and keep a list so everyone can see exactly what goes into this.

Frame:
3"x3"x.125" square tube frame, 6 legs
3" CRS rails
Leveling feet
Tie plates to mount to the floor (once we're in the new shop)

Gantry:
5x10HD Precision Plasma LLC direct drive kit
Ron is an absolute wonder to work with.

Downdraft:
Aluminum funnel
2 zones
Still trying to figure out what cfm i need

Cutter:
Hypertherm powermax 45
going with a hand torch for now

Going to be a progressive build, mostly in the evenings. Will try to be pic heavy so everyone can see what goes into assembling this kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mechanicalmongoose20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
Cool I may grab a 6pack and come check out this and your new tig welder.
MQYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
Any time man. Long way to go but it's finally coming together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
Getting the bearings and gantry mounts ready.

I can't say enough about this kit. Everything is well layed out, packages labeled, counts accurate.

Beer and fireworks time.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 80692
Looking good. What are the full specs for the system?
Shefron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moderhater

Member # 16980
interested, subscribbled.

gun facts that will blow your mind:

Halogrinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shefron View Post
Looking good. What are the full specs for the system?
Precision plasma only sells the gantry. That's pretty straight forward, v rail cross axis roller bearing long axis. I opted for the z axis delete option. It does include the gear racks and .65" pitch diameter pinion gears, cable carriers, stainless cable tray. For the z axis i am going with a velox 6.5" 620-4 kit. This is specifically made for the 620-4 bladerunner dragon cut dthcIV ethercut electronics kit i will be running.

Got a bit done tonight. Only had about an hour after the kids went down.

The 3 main frame pieces are squared, plum and tacked good. I plan on tacking the entire frame to check double check and triple check squareness and flatness. The 3 main pieces will support the slat tray and will also be the tie in for the down draft funnels.

Peektures

All I've used the new tig for but I'm loving the control as compared to a squirt gun.

I want to have the whole frame minus the foot plates tacked and squared by Friday. Then start burning everything in next weekend.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 80692
I think I have the same z . I wonder if k2cnc changed their name to velox when they closed the doors.

I would highly recommended a breakaway torch mount. Countless times it has saved my torch from tip ups or stupidity on my part. They aren't hard to make but snap n cut also sales one.

Are you going to purchase the feather touch option also?
Old 07-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
Quote:
I think I have the same z . I wonder if k2cnc changed their name to velox when they closed the doors.

I would highly recommended a breakaway torch mount. Countless times it has saved my torch from tip ups or stupidity on my part. They aren't hard to make but snap n cut also sales one.

Are you going to purchase the feather touch option also?
On the z axis, yes. It's my understanding that the mach software is already setup for it. I really like the small slide and micro switch on the velox. Plus it has hard stops that won't allow it to over travel.

Beats the hell out of my old torchmate that hit the plate like thors hammer.

As of right now velox doesn't offer a mount for a hand torch so I'll be making one at work. Billet aluminum cnc machined so I'll probably do some pins and magnets for a breakaway.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 10
Quote:
I called K2CNC a couple years after I bought my Z from them, to inquire about some parts--they gave me Velox' name/number, and said that was the guy who developed that Z axis. Kinda inferred he used to work for K2.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
Didn't have much time tonight but got the cross members tacked in. Now time to get all the braces in, a pile of ratchet straps and get the entire table squared up, level and tacked in.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
Can anyone verify the retaining cap diameter and length on a powermax 45 hand torch and the torch lead diameter? Ordering my Velox Z axis soon and machining up the holder this week or next.

Here what she'll look like. The hole pattern is adjustable so I can choke up if I need to cut on some tube or something. Clamping on the retaining ring, with a .025" gap. All the corners where the lead mount sits will have generous chamfers.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
Started getting the table assembly tacked up. I decided to do it one section at a time. Easier to square and plum. I haven't attached my leveling feet yet so i just leveled everything as it sits.

Checking everything 6 times before tacking

All tacked ready for the next area.

May hang my head a little and borrow my buddies (read: my old) mig to get things welded up a bit faster. But i may just tig it all. Kinda therapeutic.

Also got the 6061 pulled for the torch mount. As soon as we have an opening at work I'll toss that in a mill.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 80692
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmongoose20 View Post
Can anyone verify the retaining cap diameter and length on a powermax 45 hand torch and the torch lead diameter? Ordering my Velox Z axis soon and machining up the holder this week or next.

Here what she'll look like. The hole pattern is adjustable so I can choke up if I need to cut on some tube or something. Clamping on the retaining ring, with a .025" gap. All the corners where the lead mount sits will have generous chamfers.

Do you already own the pm45? If not the there is a kit that includes hand and machine for 100 or 200 dollars more.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
I looked into that kit but I have an ulterior motive. I budgeted this out to the wife with the table built to hold a 1.5" plate. But I only went with a PM45 at first to keep costs down (and to sell it to her). I have several jobs already lined out, the thickest being 1/2". So our deal was buy a PM45 now and let the machine pay for a bigger cutter later while still having the 45 with a hand torch for....whatever. Stripping brackets, cutting up skeletons.

Ended up breaking down and borrowing my old 211. Got some beads down, lots more to go.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 172087
You really don't want to clamp on the retaining cap you want to clamp on the barrel of the machine torch. Otherwise you will be unbolting everything when you want to change consumables.... This will also allow you to use an Ohmic sensor for touch off instead of just the switch.

Machine Torches are all 1 3/8" diameter...
kkroger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
Had a couple hours tonight so i got the whole table up and squared. Frame came out to within 1/16", plenty close enough. I can still get the main rails closer being they bolt on. Each tube and joint sits flush and as level as my levels can read. But if i need to true it up more i can always shim under the bolt down rails to bring them up.

Talked to MQYJ about cutting my foot plates for me, so I'll take a few cases up to him whenever its convenient fo us both.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15076
Quote:
Talked to MQYJ about cutting my foot plates for me, so I'll take a few cases up to him whenever its convenient fo us both.
Hit me up whenever. Those won't take but a few minutes to burn out for you.
MQYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
Not sure what this thing tips the scales at.....but its fawking heavy. Rigged up some wedges to help me flip it by myself. Finish this bottom side tomorrow night then the frame is done.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
Finally got everything welded up. Frame, minus feet, is done.

Had a hell of a storm roll through so it kinda shut the night down early.

And table

Trying to figure out a good way to get the rails perfectly flat. I did a real quick check pulling a string and i may be about 1/16 high in the middle. I may be able to fudge that with its own weight and adjustable feet. What are some good methods for getting these perfectly flat? Now obviously a 10' sheet of material will be no where near flat, that's what height control is for. But shit in, shit out.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 80692
Quote:
Finally got everything welded up. Frame, minus feet, is done.

Had a hell of a storm roll through so it kinda shut the night down early.

And table

Trying to figure out a good way to get the rails perfectly flat. I did a real quick check pulling a string and i may be about 1/16 high in the middle. I may be able to fudge that with its own weight and adjustable feet. What are some good methods for getting these perfectly flat? Now obviously a 10' sheet of material will be no where near flat, that's what height control is for. But shit in, shit out.
Grind the center down a little and shim if you grind to much.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
I planned to just shim the outer portions if need be.

I guess my real question is whats the best way to check it and whats "close enough"?

I was thinking of borrowing our machine level from work. It has .001" per foot graduations.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:24 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 126997
Nice looking build.
You could also use a sag line to measure for flatness.
Sag Line Chart Link
Old 07-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 10
Just in case you missed it from before, you definitely do NOT want to mount your machine torch by the retaining cap. You will be kicking your own ass every time you need to change consumables if you do.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
So since everyone is so for the mounting on the retaining cap I made a small change.

I am keying the left hand side and it will be tight and not loosened. The right side is going to be a toggle style 1/4 turn. All I will need to do is crack it loose, pop the torch out, change, slide it back in, snug it up. Not ideal, but this will work till I order the 85.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.