Pirate 4x4 banner

Im looking at this vertical mill. Need some opinions.

1K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  [486] 
#1 · (Edited)

1 1/2 hp motor 3 phase with rotophase converter
9" x 42" table
30" x 12"x 16" travel
spindle speed 60-4200
spindle feed. .0015, .003, .006
spindle taper R8
spindle travel 5"
power feed on x travel
dro equipped x indicator works good, y indicator inoperative
vice not included
All sales as is
Buyer pays for shipping
$2200

I haven't looked at it yet so I don't know the condition. Price seems high to me. Thoughts?

See less See more
#8 ·
Meh, theres plenty of step pulley j-heads that are 1 Hp. I wouldn't say its underpowered, if you use it the way its designed and intended to be used there's more than enough power.

I'd like to know what planet you live on. The name on the front adds $1000 to the machine.

If it's tight, I'd be happy to pay that for a mill if I didn't have one. Even with the tiny table and small motor.
I paid $675 for my 1986 2j Bridgeport with DRO, power feed, vise and a whole box of Jacobs chucks(which were morse taper) and R8 collets. Its as tight as can be and still has the scraping/flaking marks on all the ways. I actually bought two at that price and kept the better of the two. It was an "employee only bid" where my neighbor works, I kinda wonder if im the only one that offered anything for them.

#11 ·
I live on planet Uranus dude.....

It all depends where you find the deal.

I look for TREE brand vertical mills, they are the cats ass. Far more robust castings and larger ways for the same size machine

The Bridgeports are nice, but as you stated PT, they do command the money in some markets, only because of the name....kinda like Xerox or Kleenex....it's a standard everyone wants.

Not to beat a dead horse, but location and the seller's knowledge is what commands the price.

#12 ·
I look for TREE brand vertical mills, they are the cats ass. Far more robust castings and larger ways for the same size machine
Got a neat collet setup, too.

I'm running an induma (bp series 1 clone), it was $800 with a 12" rotab, collet set by eighths, real deal BP swivel vise, and a 10hp motor to make a RPC outta.
All the angle adjustments are nice and all, but for general vertical use I'm looking for a K&T or something with a bit more rigidity.

#16 ·
I'd let them keep the phase converter and wire up a VFD to run it. A decent VFD is under $200 for a motor that size and gives you the ability to have infinitely adjustable speed without playing with the pulleys. A cheap VFD that will work perfectly well coming from China can be had for $75-100.

Or buy the whole lot for the $2200 and sell the bulky rotary converter to someone else, use the money for the VFD and maybe a vise.

#19 ·
Comparing prices across regions is pointless. In CO I happily paid $4k for my '88 BP Series I w factory BP X-feed, DRO, and power knee (I'll never own a mill without one now). I've used the shit out of it and its paid for itself many times over. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, incl the 16 hour round trip to Denver. I've got the 3/2hp motor (they apparently de-rate it after 30 min) but I'm running on a buzz-box so there goes 33% right there.

I'd give $2200 for the one pictured here all day long, assuming it was within striking distance which I loosely define as 8 hours one way.

#20 · (Edited)
We get these mills for $500-750 regularly.

Just gotta keep your eyes open and know the auctioneer.
Chatter is related to not knowing the limitations of your equipment and materials.

PT ....you can't argue with me on this topic.
I live in this world and squash chatter like an Old Style beer can on a hot Summer day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.