Help? Learning Fanuc OT in phoenix az.... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2016, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 170278
Help? Learning Fanuc OT in phoenix az....

I have an old CNC lathe that runs 90's era Fanuc OT.

Im having real trouble learning to talk to the machine in its own language.

I am not well versed at G code, I'm learning everything at once and a bit over whelmed.

What i really need is someone that can show me the ins and outs of basic machine programming, how to properly format the program so i can progress to learning what each G code call does...

If anyone out there is willing to lend a hand, i would greatly appreciate it!

Located in Peoria, Arizona. Just outside of Phoenix.

Heres the machine.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFyGc0-gZfQ
Kawgomoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2016, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3088
I occasionally teach G and M code programming, it's easily a week to get you the basics down. I recommend a Jr college class at a minimum.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 170278
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "jr college" exactly?

Now i fully understand there is a lot to learn. But i feel what i need to learn with this specific machine could be covered in an afternoon with a knowledgable operator explaining to me what each each screen is asking, and the proper way to parse a program.

My biggest problem is most the education out there revolves around newer controls, which still leave me in the dark to this old turds unique caveats. Every question i ever have about a haas i can pretty much find the answer too online. But i think my machine is Pre-Internet

My current issue is understanding the relationship to setting a tool offset, work offset and the machine knowing where the centerline really is. I sort of understand touching off the tools, but i never see anything mentioned about drills. How does the machine know where the center of the drill is in relation to the part?

Just thinking out loud. Ill figure this out, eventually.

Following Zukis suggestion i did find a "Skill Center" out here that teaches some CNC classes. I will look more into it. But i don't know if i will be able to swing the time commitment.....the wife worries about my "hobbies" enough as it is.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Hate keeps me warm

Member # 151139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawgomoo View Post

Now i fully understand there is a lot to learn. But i feel what i need to learn with this specific machine could be covered in an afternoon with a knowledgable operator explaining to me what each each screen is asking, and the proper way to parse a program.

My biggest problem is most the education out there revolves around newer controls, which still leave me in the dark to this old turds unique caveats. Every question i ever have about a haas i can pretty much find the answer too online. But i think my machine is Pre-Internet

My current issue is understanding the relationship to setting a tool offset, work offset and the machine knowing where the centerline really is. I sort of understand touching off the tools, but i never see anything mentioned about drills. How does the machine know where the center of the drill is in relation to the part?

Just thinking out loud. Ill figure this out, eventually.

Following Zukis suggestion i did find a "Skill Center" out here that teaches some CNC classes. I will look more into it. But i don't know if i will be able to swing the time commitment.....the wife worries about my "hobbies" enough as it is.
How much time have you spent reading over at Practical Machinist | LARGEST MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY COMMUNITY ON THE WEB ?

There is TONS of knowledge over there, but read A LOT before you ask, and they aren't a hobby board so if you sound like a lost hobbyist or they will send you somewhere else.

Start with this thread.

Fundamentals of tool and work offsets - Page 2

and a jr. College class will teach you basic G code and about offsets.

Last edited by Grumpy356; 06-23-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Grumpy356 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 80592
6 Things A Brand New CNC'er Should Learn to Get Started - CNCCookbook CNCCookbook
ColdFusion21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 108445
Quote:
Located in Peoria, Arizona. Just outside of Phoenix.
Next valley working meeting is at toolcraft 7/9. They have several cnc machines, you might inquire there

http://www.valley-metal.org/

And you could email on their yahoo group
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/valleymetal/info
rocket flier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2016, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 108445
Quote:
A community college,.. not a 4 year 'real' college.

Probably 20 years ago, Glendale Community College had welding and machining classes at Deer Valley high in North Glendale. I took welding there and watched as machine tools were auctioned off semester after semester. Welding moved to PV high school near the squaw peak and Bell, don't know if it's still there.

Computer Aided Manufacturing @ GCC
Machining Classes @ GCC
rocket flier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 684722
Quote:

You'd be very wrong.

This is a great book. Sit down and read it a bunch of times, one of the best things I did when I started out.
Plenty of places online to print out codes and commands from to use as a quick reference.
customcooters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 45
Every MTB (machine tool builder) uses a controls package a bit differently but the GUI is identical.

A similar lathe to yours may offer some insight.

http://www2.i-logic.com/manuals/fanu...aining_588.pdf

Swedish American
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 08:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Who took my cake?

Member # 120626
Just be careful when you see this. G00 Z-20.365.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mechanicalmongoose20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 170278
I will try to demonstrate my current lack of understanding. see if someone can help me understand what I'm not understanding.

So i turn on the machine,
Perform a Zero Return.
Relative Coords Clear U/W Offsets
Select Tool #
Touch Tool to End of Part
Offset-Workshift
M Z 0 (input)
Offset-Geometery
M Z 0 (input)
Touch Tool to O.D of Part X
M X 1.2130 {Diameter} (input)

Now when i go over to MDI and i enter
G0 X1.0000 Z1.0000 (Input, Cycle Start)

The tip of the tool will advance to, and stop at, 1 inch away from the end of the part on Z, but the X is 1 inch from centerline of the part. Not 1 inch from its outer diameter.

What am i misunderstanding or doing incorrectly here?

thanks!

Last edited by Kawgomoo; 06-24-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 170278
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugburn View Post
Every MTB (machine tool builder) uses a controls package a bit differently but the GUI is identical.

A similar lathe to yours may offer some insight.

http://www2.i-logic.com/manuals/fanu...aining_588.pdf
The the best written manual I've seen so far! Thanks! Im reading it now, maybe it will help straighten some things out in my head.

Thanks again
Old 06-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 45
Quote:
The the best written manual I've seen so far! Thanks! Im reading it now, maybe it will help straighten some things out in my head.

Thanks again
Their examples in the manual are in Metric....just sayin'....Glad to help you out.

Swedish American
rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 170278
Yeah i noticed its in mm, but not a big deal. i live in a metric world with fractional machines anyways so i convert pretty readily in my head.

But for the purpose of the manual i can just pretend they are inches and were making giant fucking parts!

Reading this manual it seems i may have been setting up the machine correctly, and just misunderstanding what it is I'm asking it to do.

Ive been expecting X0 to be the outer diameter of my bar stock, and all cuts to be a negative number.

But it makes sense that X0 is the center of the bar stock, and when i just tell it the diameter i want it to cut at. if i tell it X1.0000 it should move the cutter tip to .500 from center line as to cut a 1" part.....is this correct?
Old 06-24-2016, 11:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 19763
Quote:
Yeah i noticed its in mm, but not a big deal. i live in a metric world with fractional machines anyways so i convert pretty readily in my head.

But for the purpose of the manual i can just pretend they are inches and were making giant fucking parts!

Reading this manual it seems i may have been setting up the machine correctly, and just misunderstanding what it is I'm asking it to do.

Ive been expecting X0 to be the outer diameter of my bar stock, and all cuts to be a negative number.

But it makes sense that X0 is the center of the bar stock, and when i just tell it the diameter i want it to cut at. if i tell it X1.0000 it should move the cutter tip to .500 from center line as to cut a 1" part.....is this correct?
I would guess (just a guess) is that if x0.0 is your center, then x1.0 would make a 2" diameter part. If the x1.0 is the distance from center, the 1.0 is radius not diameter. I am understanding that you are running this like a lathe with your question.

Bend-Tech
is now available!!!

Design full tube in less than a couple of hours with the PRO

We are the developers of the Bend-Tech products.
651-257-8715 for sales and support

10,000+ now using Bend-Tech
fabcam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
MC
Nose to grindstone

Member # 21997
Send a message via Yahoo to MC
Quote:
I will try to demonstrate my current lack of understanding. see if someone can help me understand what I'm not understanding.

So i turn on the machine,
Perform a Zero Return.
Relative Coords Clear U/W Offsets
Select Tool #
Touch Tool to End of Part
Offset-Workshift
M Z 0 (input)
Offset-Geometery
M Z 0 (input)
Touch Tool to O.D of Part X
M X 1.2130 {Diameter} (input)

Now when i go over to MDI and i enter
G0 X1.0000 Z1.0000 (Input, Cycle Start)

The tip of the tool will advance to, and stop at, 1 inch away from the end of the part on Z, but the X is 1 inch from centerline of the part. Not 1 inch from its outer diameter.

What am i misunderstanding or doing incorrectly here?

thanks!
That is because you do not have a work offset or work diameter loaded. Going to MDI will not carry over the other necessary values you need. DO you have a tool eye? Tool eye will tell you from center where your tool tip is. (I bet you touched off an eye so it thinks your on center) You gave it a good Z value from touching off of the end of the part (yep thats Z axis) but you did not tell it where to diameter is or even what diameter it is. One of the worst things you can do is crash that CNC with a rapid. Throw some plastic in there and play around.

The finest CNC plasma tables
Made in the USA by Bulltear and can be found online at
and at local welding stores
Hypertherm and Thermal Dynamics
We also make parts for AMC

MC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 170278
Yes this is a lathe. To whoever asked that.

MC - What is a "Tool Eye"? i will google this, but have never heard of one before.

I have tried doing this with and without touching off the X and inputting a diameter into Work Offset X. However, the tool never ends up where i think it should.

I am using G0 right now, the machine is actually moving fairly slowly. If i turn the RAPIDS % rotary selector it does not effect how fast the axes move, however if i adjust the FEEDS % selector it will slow the axis down. Im not sure if its not really in "rapid" because i didn't type G00, which i just learned is a thing from reading the manual someone linked to above. Im going to try that once i get out into the garage see what happens.

Crashing - Def not allowing the machine to crash. Ive got a piece of delrin stuck in there for now as my work piece. And my "cutting tool" is just a square of soft steel. Keeping my hand on the Estop and not letting anything get close to touching.

Right now it is stopping on the Z where i want it, well away from the work. But the X is giving me shit fits.

If i wanted to do a basic operation in MDI could someone post an example of how to format it? The piece of stock i have in there right now is 1.250 nominal.

it seems like there are a few basics that I'm just not understanding, that are preventing me from moving forward on the path to self education.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.