DIY Press Brake, have problems, need help? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2017, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 744193
DIY Press Brake, have problems, need help?

So I recently built a press brake that uses the 40" Swag Offroad finger brake. I made it with 2 HF air hydraulic 20T jacks. The problem I'm having is synchronizing the jacks when controlled by air. One extends faster than the other causing the die to compress unevenly. Anyone had this issue? Are there any adjustments that can be made to the jacks to match them up?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff
jlansaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2017, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 10
Maybe an air pressure regulator on each ram, to try to tune the speed of each? Or just on the faster one....

Trying to synchronize two rams seems like a nightmare to me. Especially air/hydro ones.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 744193
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Lean View Post
Maybe an air pressure regulator on each ram, to try to tune the speed of each? Or just on the faster one....

Trying to synchronize two rams seems like a nightmare to me. Especially air/hydro ones.
I threw a cheap regulator in line on the fast side and couldn't get any consistency. By the time I got it adjusted the cycle was over. The next cycle requires more adjustment and so on.

I saw various pics of this type of setup on the on the web including units done by Swagoffroad. Nothing I read mentioned any issues with using 2 air jacks. I figured if there was a problem there would be threads everywhere discussing the issue. Guess I was wrong. It may be "back to the drawing board"

Jeff

Old 03-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 229499
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-...1040810?page=4

I don't remember all the post numbers, but go to #25, and you'll find what I'm referring to. Might work? Might be a PITA though too....
foxmxrcer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 687266
What about useing a bull head t then use 2 equal length lines then put an orifice in the line . I've had to do air control lines on propane bulk plants like this .
Groundloop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 744193
Today I put air to each jack individually. Timed the complete cycle of each jack. There is about a 6 second difference in the cycle time. Took the air motors apart, inspected, cleaned, reassembled. Timed again, same results. Put a level across the jacks, raised the jacks manually together and with equal pumps, one was rising faster than the other. Very frustrating. Not an issue until you try to get 2 jacks to work together.

Jeff

Last edited by jlansaw; 03-20-2017 at 04:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9835
Ill bet the pulsing of the air is freaking out the regulator. I would plumb in some sort of an air tank after the regulator with the theory that the air supply will have a better regulated air pressure without spikes. An easier to do test might be to add a 25 or 50ft air hose after the regulator to act as a receiver. If trying with a hose try to use as large diameter hose as possible.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 229499
Just thought of something..... If you limit air pressure to one Jack to slow it down so that they operate at the same speed.... What happens when is under load? I would assume it wouldn't have as much peak pressure, but will it be proportionate? Ie: no load, they move identically..... but once it hits the metal, will the regulated Jack then slow down due to being under pressured and cause uneven bends?
foxmxrcer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 169176
Is it possible to have one air motor drive both jacks? It would take twice as long but would they equalize between the two? Never really looked that close as to how the air motors attach to the base of the jack. Just a thought with no experience.
acm05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 101113
Send a message via AIM to dethmachinefab
I would share hyd pressure, (cylinders fluid connected) and have some sort of mechanical link between rams. Think like a sway bar design.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 192237
that

put the faster one on your engine crane
then take the plain old engine crane one and combobulate an external line to it from the remaining air/hydro cyl, if you wanna be real lazy just drill straight up through the bottom of both bases, centered on the ram and tap them NPT

then mechanically link both sides, with a pipe, and a few bits of bar stock for arms and links

Last edited by [486]; 03-19-2017 at 08:58 PM.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 03:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 63754
Possibly a flow meter to each cylinder.. infinitely adjustable.

[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="3"]My Build [/SIZE]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR]

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 for the road.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blown7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 05:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 74396
You need a mechanical linkage.
Multiple cylinders, air or hydraulic will never synchronize without very expensive electronic controls.

Lots of threads where guys all had the same problem with their homebrewed press brakes.
juanni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 06:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Hack the cylinders apart and use a rotary flow divider?
Rotary gear flow divider - 2 Section, 2R8.8S | eBay

Not sure if the minimum flow would be a problem though, maybe there is a really small one out there.

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 343737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown7 View Post
Possibly a flow meter to each cylinder.. infinitely adjustable.
if you want a cheap way without rebuilding the press head; restrict the flow, not the pressure
a simple globe or needle valve in each air line should do it
a globe or needle valve will have infinite flow restriction vs an on/off ball valve
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 82607
I know it's primitive but can't you just watch the top die and adjust accordingly?
At the local fab shop they have a 10' hydraulic press brake and it's a bitch to keep it in sync. It fluctuates depending on the weather, temperature and who knows what else.

Buy another jack and see if it matches up to one of yours?
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ogre View Post
if you want a cheap way without rebuilding the press head; restrict the flow, not the pressure
a simple globe or needle valve in each air line should do it
a globe or needle valve will have infinite flow restriction vs an on/off ball valve
^^^^this^^^^

A simple flow control will restrict the passage way of the air line and thus the speed of the cylinder. I manufacture piston filling machines that put BBQ sauce into bottles, guacamole into tubs, cake batter into pans, etc. and that is what we do to control the forward speed and rear speed of our air powered machines.

A couple bucks and you can tune the two sides very quickly.

Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 80248
I would either do one air motor with hydraulics split between the two or a good hand pump with a split line. Counting on 2 china made air products to match or behave predictably sounds like an exercise in 4 letter vocabulary
Old 03-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 73212
Go buy another one and run it to see which one it is closer to and then return the odd one to the store for a refund.

I'm really surprised that when they get loaded they don't equalize. Something isn't right with one. I'd try swapping it out.
ovrrdrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Why not use a single 50 ton air/hydraulic jack and beef up the frames a little? Virtually the same price as two 20 ton HF's.

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.