Magnetic drill press - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2004, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 13586
Magnetic drill press

Does anyone have any experience in these type of presses? I've goe a MDM-35 which is producing less than satisfactory clamping ability. Apparently magnetic field properties send the bulk of clamping force to the ends (linear) of the topmost plate in stack and the clamping force is only developed in thicker metals. this isn't suitable for frame drilling or milti-plate (stacked plate ) cutting. Any suggestions or experience?

http://www.csunitec.com/magneticdrills/mdm.html
Jancy also makes (sells) an identical unit
dumass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 12695
I have only used a milwalkee model. I was drilling holes in some 1/4" rectangle tubing. It is a heavy son of a bitch but once you get it where you want it and turn it on it works good.

Btw, I was using a long long extension cord and drilling a hole about four feet off the ground when someone decided to unplug the cord. That drill falls fast.

Dan
Old 06-11-2004, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 13586
Dan.
what model milwaukee? The big ones use full wave magnets and mine is a two coil half wave...it sucks

Last edited by dumass; 06-11-2004 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
I should be working

Member # 18829
I've never used one personally, but I've seen them used quite a bit. My iron workers are always using them on W steel when they aren't permitted to torch holes. I sure couldn't imagine hassling with one of those to work on a rig unless it was on a really heavy piece of box tube or a plate. They aren't really suited to shop type work in my opinion. They're too heavy and don't "stick" well to everything.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12695
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumass
Dan.
what model milwaukee? The big ones use full wave magnets and mine is a two coil half wave...it sucks

Yes just like that. It worked good untill you unplugged it, then it got real heavy.

Dan
Old 06-12-2004, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 13586
Yeah the magnet is great for positioning but on side and inverted you have to clamp the sob down cause it fights it's own weight. unplugging would be bad, mine breaks with the point except on the flat stuff. It only weighs about 30lbs though and fits into some pretty confined spaces. I guess you get what you pay for and apparently $500-600 doesn't buy much in a mag drill. I was contemplating making an adapter plate to mount a larger magnet. Mine is a 3 screw and the big Milwaukee's use a 4 screw mount. It would be simple to drill and tap the 3 body screw holes into some 3/8 or 1/2 plate and bore and countersink the 4 magnet holes for the bigger unit. You would think you could work with the tools instead of on them but this is becoming like my truck projects.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3236
I have a Hougen HMD505 and with it upside down on 3/8" plate I can lift my 220#'s off of the ground by using the drill handle for a pull up. If yours will not "stick" on it's side or upside down it is either faulty or a big POS.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 6967
I use one all the time for my tubing notcher works bad asss.
Attached Images

scott-885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 12:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 13586
jasonmt, I think you hit the nail on the head: POS. The Haugen rep stopped by but didn't have any machines, he was in a minivan from kali, Roy Vigorito with KENBIL in Riverside. They offered to trade me up. What machine would you guys recommend?

This is how I had to finish drilling the holes for my tow rig bed mounts

Pretty sad huh?

Last edited by dumass; 06-13-2004 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 3236
I am very happy with my Hougen 505 - 3" of stroke, 7/16" - 2 3/8" cutters fit and if you take off the coolant bottle and carrying handle it is only 15" high. The 505 is designed so that is needs no arbour support and needs no gib/slides/ways adjustment which means less vibration, tighter hole tolerances and less maintenance. We have a couple a Milwaukee's at the family heavy truck shop but they will be replaced with Hougen's when the time comes.

Until your post I never knew there was more than two companies (Hougen and Milwaukee) making mag drills. If I ever had to do what your picture shows the drill would be getting returned through a window. Both the Hougen and Milwaukee drills I have used have worked fine in the pictured situation.

Last edited by jasonmt; 06-13-2004 at 09:41 AM.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote