tools - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2004, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 31897
tools

Looking to buy some tools here pretty soon cause i get really good student discounts 50% off snapon and 62% off matco and not sure what it is on mac. I am looking into getting matco right now anyone have pro's and con's of each of these brands.

Any opinions or comments would be great.
ryan2l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 18989
I spent a few years as a professional mechanic. Some shops may have a MAC or a MATCO dealer make the rounds. Some shops may not. I haven't seen any shop that didn't have a Snap On dealer. I also think the quality is a little better with Snap On.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 30115
ive been a mechanic for 5 years now i started with craftsman and have mostly mac tools they are really good to me, but for wrenches go snap on the have rounded edges more comfortable on the hands, mac is a little cheaper on there prices for the same quality
stunnin650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 31374
tools

i own a matco box and almost all matco tools have had very little trouble with them i would recomend them over snap-on but thats just my $.02 thanks,jr
amsoil man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2967
ive bought several things off the matco guy here lately. I traded in my prybars and got the matco ones cause i can beat on the end of them with the handle.
i like matco's stuff but buy 99% snap on.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 948
Send a message via ICQ to bobbed83toy Send a message via AIM to bobbed83toy Send a message via Yahoo to bobbed83toy
well since i turn wrenches for a living.. i have a snap on box, some snap on tools.. but most of my stuff is mac.. i have some of everything... but i like my mac stuff better.. i get 27percent off and no tax from mac.. and dont have to pay tax on snap on stuff

[URL=http://www.tinbenders.org] [B]TIN BENDERS[/B][/URL]
bobbed83toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
No comment

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed83toy
well since i turn wrenches for a living.. i have a snap on box, some snap on tools.. but most of my stuff is mac.. i have some of everything... but i like my mac stuff better.. i get 27percent off and no tax from mac.. and dont have to pay tax on snap on stuff
thats a real smart thing to post in a public forum
camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 12:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
No comment

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan2l
Looking to buy some tools here pretty soon cause i get really good student discounts 50% off snapon and 62% off matco and not sure what it is on mac. I am looking into getting matco right now anyone have pro's and con's of each of these brands.

personally i prefer snap-on tools for there design and quality. buy a few from each and see what works best for you. snappys wrenchs and sockets are superior and when it comes to snap ring pliers you can't beat the snap on units. mac makes some nice screwdrivers. matco..... i can't think of anything they make that is better than another brand,

tool boxes, i think the snap on is the best but spendy. mac is a great box and probally the best value
camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 02:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 22805
I have used Snap-On, Craftsman, Ace, Napa, and Benchtop brand tools, have never had the chance to use Matco or Mac....I prefer Snap-On, over the others,,you can tell the diffrence in Quality in the way the ratchets sound, and the sound the wrenches make when ya tap them on something....
Let me tell you my friend if you gonna live this life
It's not good for you to build strife
Robert Neshta Marley ; Cravin choke puppy[/QUOTE][/COLOR][/B]
stomper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 06:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 12499
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo
thats a real smart thing to post in a public forum
The tax forms I fill out have a box that states "sale of manufacturing machinery, tools and equipment to be used directly in direct production".

At least in Indiana, it's legal. While one is supposed to pay property tax on such purchases yearly, I doubt many do, and supposedly, this is going away in the next year (IIRC).

I used to get a 40% industrial discount on Snap-On stuff, but the shipping was horrible. I now get 25% off Snap-On and free shipping!!! But, I can't buy from the truck, catalog only to get that deal.

As for what Ryan should use his discount for-get the biggest roller cabinet they will give you the discount on. If you're gonna do this for a living, you have to be able to find the tools you have (voice of experience speaking).

Peace,
PT
PTSchram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 08:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 948
Send a message via ICQ to bobbed83toy Send a message via AIM to bobbed83toy Send a message via Yahoo to bobbed83toy
because i work on a military base and my tools are used to work on government veicles.. i dont have to pay tax...

[URL=http://www.tinbenders.org] [B]TIN BENDERS[/B][/URL]
bobbed83toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 08:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 17874
since ive been a ase master tech for 10 years ive seen alot of good and crappy tools. i think matco toolboxs are the best they use a frame. snapon and mac boxes use the draws as structure for the frame. matco sells alot of stuff that they dont make and doesnt hold up to everyday use. mac is even worse with selling off the wall shit. i prefer snapon tools they seem to hold up best. but they also sell bluepoint stuff that is often times junk. so look at what your buying and make your own choice.........Tbone
Old 06-13-2004, 10:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 15697
I have a buncha craftsman stuff. Its not the best, but its great for me who is just a weekend wrencher, wont break the bank (although not HF cheap).

Thanks to my GF for picking up two huge full ball bearing chests and a full set of mechanics tools, all craftsman.. She loves me

Whats this about a student discount???
Old 02-09-2005, 09:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 32735
Send a message via AIM to 93sky4x
yeah, discount sounds really nice
93sky4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 42176
For the weekend wrencher Craftsman is the ticket, you can get a crap load more tools
going with craftsman than snap-on or mac.
!wayota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 38711
Quote:
Originally Posted by stomper4x4
I have used Snap-On, Craftsman, Ace, Napa, and Benchtop brand tools, have never had the chance to use Matco or Mac....I prefer Snap-On, over the others,,you can tell the diffrence in Quality in the way the ratchets sound, and the sound the wrenches make when ya tap them on something....
I have a few strap-on ratchets 1/4 and 3/8 BOTH ARE JUNK!!!

The 1/4 gets repaired every other week 3/8 lasts a little longer I ended up trading both in for Matco ratchets. Other Strap-on wrenches and tools are ok but if it goes click click it will not last. BTW neather were used with cheater bars
mudhound72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 4318
I've got plenty of tools from both. Best advise I have is not to buy anything that doesn't have their name on it(on the tool not the box). Matco especially has alot of stuff they don't make, later you'll find it way way cheaper somewhere else and thats after the garbage broke. Matco's screwdrivers with the fuzzy grippy stuff on the grip is cool but is a pain to clean. Matco's ratching wrenches are great and alot cheaper than snapon.
I wouldn't buy any of their air tools: I've got a supposed powerful $300 snap on 1/2 impact that isn't as powerful as my home depot $100 impact, I've got a 3/8 matco ratchet thats in for warranty repair right now and a 1/4 snapon ratchet in for repair right now(2yrs on it and $75 to fix it). My cheapo air tools hold up just as good and they're so cheap I can throw them away when they screw up and get a new one cheaper than repair of the "good stuff". Now Ingersaw Rand, I've got a 3/8 impact with 7 yrs on it. It looks beat,lots of use, but still kicking butt.
NOT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 11:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 23505
Send a message via AIM to SOBX2380 Send a message via MSN to SOBX2380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan2l

Lemme guess....MMI/UTI? If so what program are you in?

Nick
SOBX2380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:41 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 13069
My son was in one of those programs and got the large discount from Matco. We spent about $2500 on $5K worth of top/bottom tool box. Should have even done more on the toolbox but there was about another $2500 we spent on tools.
Just-fabricate-it is offline   Reply With Quote