Tool Safety! pics - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2004, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
www.12voltguy.com

Member # 40
Tool Safety! pics

ok, I'm using a 4.5" grinder with the danger wheel ( WIRE WHEEL ) full face shield, no gloves ( mistake 1 ), I'm getting my front toy axle ready for the electric locker. just using the wire wheel to clean up the gasket surface, ya know how a wire wheel "hooks up" well I should have quit the 1st time it hooked and kicked back, but I kept at it on the outside balls it caught, kicked back and landed in my shorts! went arond about 3 times untill the thing stopped spinning, but was still running , big HUMMING, till I got the switch off. Came real close to losing my pee_pee Had I been hung like the guy in my avitor I would be 1/2 the man I am today had to take of my shorts and toss them away, runied, they were work cloths anyway.
POINT:
A: Shop saftey is no joke
or
B:wire wheels will eat a dick if not carefull!

and the pick of my inner thigh(sp) close call, I quit for the day, feel so lucky I'm going to go buy a lotto ticket!
Attached Images

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
-Awesome web development for your business. www.mudnworks.com mud@mudnworks.com
Pat's W I D E TOYOTA Front Axle
--"07 RoadStar 1700-4sale"
SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
LOL! I had the same thing. Wire cup wheel got away from me while I was under the truck, the grinder turns around so the wheel is facing me and flys toward my chest, twists up in my shirt. I'm somewhat panicked by the whole thing, now the grinder is sitting there humming and smoking while I search frantically for the power switch LOL. Had a nice bruise on my chest for the next couple days

perhaps the moral is that cheap grinders without dead man's switches suck? Seems both of us could have avoided at least some of our injury if the grinder had died the second it got away from us
Old 06-15-2004, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
cranky bastard

Member # 20868
You ever get a wire wheel caught in the tail of yer flannel shirt? Happens to me couple times a year... ya think I'd learn. I keep ruining shirts this way.
plunkinberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 16351
I always remove the set switches on my angle grinders for this reason. I had a grinder end up in my sweater once and it made a mess of my chest.

"Fuck you, we all know who the fuck you are. Hit yourself if the face with a rusty shovel you stupid penis sniffer."
MiniMog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 260
Send a message via Yahoo to woody
I gotta find the photo someday, but the story....

Was using a 4.5" angle grinder to zip off some u-bolts under a pickup...blade bound, shattered, and struck me in the nose...butterflied it, then contacted my safety glasses, grooved them, then struck the garage wall. Came to the backdoor, C (my wife) gave me a shocked look, grabbed her keys, and rushed me off to the emergency room....got about 60 stitches for that one, I was home by 9:30p and had a pizza down 30 minutes later while she mixed 3-4 brandy old fashioneds....

I was safety poster child the next night for our 4wd club meeting, and got quite a few free drinks the next day at the Packers football game...

if ya didn't know it had happened, you'd never notice the scar.

Needless to say, I'm WAY more careful with those thin wheels, wire wheels, and anything else...particularly in out-of-position projects...
Old 06-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
this is why I really like air tools, when you let go they stop..

I seriously don't use electric tools much anymore - even my drill and "sawzall" is air..

This sucker wrapped around my finger and almost took it off - notice the blood drop in the pic - ouch that hurt..

Last edited by Brandon; 06-15-2004 at 12:52 PM.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
I gotta find the photo someday, but the story....

Was using a 4.5" angle grinder to zip off some u-bolts under a pickup...blade bound, shattered, and struck me in the nose...butterflied it, then contacted my safety glasses, grooved them, then struck the garage wall. Came to the backdoor, C (my wife) gave me a shocked look, grabbed her keys, and rushed me off to the emergency room....got about 60 stitches for that one, I was home by 9:30p and had a pizza down 30 minutes later while she mixed 3-4 brandy old fashioneds....

I was safety poster child the next night for our 4wd club meeting, and got quite a few free drinks the next day at the Packers football game...

if ya didn't know it had happened, you'd never notice the scar.

Needless to say, I'm WAY more careful with those thin wheels, wire wheels, and anything else...particularly in out-of-position projects...
I picked up a full face shield because of that kind of thing - actually like it a lot better than glasses since it isn't as restrictive and covers your whole face..
Old 06-15-2004, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 2967
I had a 4 1/2" angle grinder hit me in the chin, ran up my face and nose, cut my glasses in 2 on the bridge of my nose, up across my forehead. Left a bigole scar about 1/4" wide. didnt bother with the hospital, it ground all the skin out, no stiches would have helped.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
www.12voltguy.com

Member # 40
I think these grinders are the most dangerous tools around, I see most of the tv pros have air cause the blade just sticks, of course OCC uses the grinder even when they have a plasma around, but like I said "pros" so that leaves them out in the cold
I much prefer the full face, doesn't fog and big coverage. & it looks so cool, lol

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
Old 06-15-2004, 07:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 18989
Didn't take pictures, but I just had one get away from me yesterday. I just put on a brand new pair of boots. I was using a stinger type brush in a DeWalt 4.5" grinder. While sitting on the ground, I was using the grinder one handed (bad idea). With the other hand, I was holding a short piece of angle iron with vise grips. The grinder got away from me and hit the brand new boot. It cut all the laces right off. It also polished my thumbnail, but didn't draw blood.

Be Careful.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2004, 01:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 7452
I had quite a grinder day today myself. Got a new wire wheel, mounted on a 4 1/2", and I was taking the coating off the frame to put on a bracket. I was wearing a full face shield which I learned after getting one of those little wires stuck in my face. However I was wearing shorts and one of those little wires shot right into my thigh about 1/4" deep. Thats wasn't a big deal pulled it out and kept going.

Then I was grinding a bracket clamped in the vice. I 'm grinding away with the 9" grinder, sparks are flying every where, and there is the usual grinding smoke from the oil smoking off the metal. Then I notice the smoke doesn't smell quite right and its getting thicker. Hmmm so after about 30 seconds of thinking oh well I'll just finish this and then I'll see what that is. I glance over and I see the dust mop my wife so kindly put in the corner by the back door to keep the house uncluttered. Which is now engulfed in flames. DUST BUNNIES burn like mad.

Luckily I learned a long time ago to have a fire extinguisher handy and I got it out quickly.

So the total for the day was 3 broken tools, 1 fire, and a couple little booboos
TB76Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 3413
Bumped the tube pile and a 2x.25 stick of DOM dropped/rolled 6" across my toe, 11 stiches later: :a pic of my toe if fawking photobucket was working:
Mcstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 03:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
cranky bastard

Member # 20868
Hey Brandon, be sure to wear safty glasses under that face shield, the shield will do NOTHING if a grinding wheel comes apart of something grenades. They are really only called chip shields.

Be careful everyone. (funny but serious).
Old 06-16-2004, 07:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by plunkinberry
Hey Brandon, be sure to wear safty glasses under that face shield, the shield will do NOTHING if a grinding wheel comes apart of something grenades. They are really only called chip shields.

Interesting.. I really should be more safety conscious. I go barefoot in my garage filled with metal shavings and broken glass bits all the time, hardly ever wear ear protection (I have a 20db case of tennitus allready), and most of my tools have the guards removed (ex framer, I can cut circles with a worm drive skillsaw).

I have been stocking up on safety stuff, just gotta get myself to use it!!
Old 06-16-2004, 08:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
Quote:

Agreed! The most frustrating thing is remembering the proper order to put everything on, let's see: face shield, then ear protection then glasses, then flip face shield down. Then I always try to pull off the face shield with the ear protection still on - doesn't work!
Old 06-16-2004, 09:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 6
I think I'll just wear my full face helmet and space suit

gloves.. anyone wear em? I got a pair but never wear em..

well I wear some when I weld but that's about it
Old 06-16-2004, 09:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
cranky bastard

Member # 20868
I'll admit that I don't wear hearing protection, and I never wear gloves. I know I should, but don't.

Couple years ago, by daughter poked me in the eye (she was 5 months old at the time). Long story short, she detached 35% of the surface area of my eye - that was terribly painful, scary experience. I don't take my sight for granted any more. Always wear safty glasses.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 28395
Send a message via MSN to hotcowboy76 Send a message via Yahoo to hotcowboy76
35%???? Where? Lets see some pics!

I still have a scar on my wrist where the grinder caught and got away from me. It kinda fumbeled and my natural reaction was to grab it! Luckily I was wearing gloves or it could have been worse. As it was it ground through my leather gloves and into my wrist almost to the bone!
hotcowboy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
www.12voltguy.com

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcowboy76
35%???? Where? Lets see some pics!

I still have a scar on my wrist where the grinder caught and got away from me. It kinda fumbeled and my natural reaction was to grab it! Luckily I was wearing gloves or it could have been worse. As it was it ground through my leather gloves and into my wrist almost to the bone!
uihhhhhhhhhh, I natural reaction is not to grab a out of control spinning grinder

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
Old 06-16-2004, 10:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
www.12voltguy.com

Member # 40
Quote:
I'll admit that I don't wear hearing protection, and I never wear gloves. I know I should, but don't.Couple years ago, by daughter poked me in the eye (she was 5 months old at the time). Long story short, she detached 35% of the surface area of my eye - that was terribly painful, scary experience. I don't take my sight for granted any more. Always wear safty glasses.
same here, I do own a new pair of gloves and I just bought a welding jacket, xxl for $5, of course I never use it maybe in the winter

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
Old 06-16-2004, 10:33 AM   #21 (permalink)
www.12voltguy.com

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB76Bronco
I had quite a grinder day today myself. Got a new wire wheel, mounted on a 4 1/2", and I was taking the coating off the frame to put on a bracket. I was wearing a full face shield which I learned after getting one of those little wires stuck in my face. However I was wearing shorts and one of those little wires shot right into my thigh about 1/4" deep. Thats wasn't a big deal pulled it out and kept going.

Then I was grinding a bracket clamped in the vice. I 'm grinding away with the 9" grinder, sparks are flying every where, and there is the usual grinding smoke from the oil smoking off the metal. Then I notice the smoke doesn't smell quite right and its getting thicker. Hmmm so after about 30 seconds of thinking oh well I'll just finish this and then I'll see what that is. I glance over and I see the dust mop my wife so kindly put in the corner by the back door to keep the house uncluttered. Which is now engulfed in flames. DUST BUNNIES burn like mad.

Luckily I learned a long time ago to have a fire extinguisher handy and I got it out quickly.

So the total for the day was 3 broken tools, 1 fire, and a couple little booboos
yup I get hit all the time, a guy here got one in his eye and lost his site in that eye, I think it was Billavista?

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
Old 06-16-2004, 10:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
www.12voltguy.com

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
Interesting.. I really should be more safety conscious. I go barefoot in my garage filled with metal shavings and broken glass bits all the time, hardly ever wear ear protection (I have a 20db case of tennitus allready), and most of my tools have the guards removed (ex framer, I can cut circles with a worm drive skillsaw).

I have been stocking up on safety stuff, just gotta get myself to use it!!
ya me too, get lil meatal pieces in my feet all the time, doh!

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
Old 06-16-2004, 11:25 AM   #23 (permalink)
cranky bastard

Member # 20868
worse than bare feet is in my socks... I'll run into the garage to grab something quickly, then track metal shavings all over the house. Then I wonder how I got a piece of metal in my foot in the living room. oh well... I know I should know better.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:48 AM   #24 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBass44
uihhhhhhhhhh, I natural reaction is not to grab a out of control spinning grinder
That'd be called natural selection
Old 06-16-2004, 06:22 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 8713

My dewalt grinder stops when you let go.

:shrug: