Storage.. What do you do? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2004, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2192
Storage.. What do you do?

We moved into our new house last fall, I spnet a long time ripping off crappy shelving and about 1 bazillion nails to hang junk on.. I am still pondering diffrent cabinets and what not. I want to have storage drawers on full extension runners that can hold stuff like anti-freese drain pans & oil drain pans. I also want some good drawers to house stuff like gallons of oil ( I buy 5 gallon jugs, not quarts and stock about 10 - 15 gallons at a time) I am thinking about really skinny, yet 3 foot deep drawers that will pull out like a file cabinet.. How about spray can storage and cans like that.. What do most of you do for part storage?? I do not want to see crap anywhere.. I want it to have a place, and it to be in it's place.. I do have 1 wall that is now serving as a "hanging rack" for a CJ-7 nose & windshield frame I am prepping this summer, but it is still in it's place.

Let's start dropping some ideas here!
Firefyter_Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
No comment

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
not sure what your budget is but these could be cool. http://www.gladiatorgw.com/productde...No=GAWGB000LG0

i use steel shelf system and pallet racks in my shop. mine is organised but not closed cabniets
camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2004, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 8713
I have all kinds of storage.

On the working level I have a paint cabnet, and electrical cabnet, a drill cabnet, a misc cabnet, stereo cabnet, and a fluid cabnet.

Shelves I have 4 working project shelves, multiple tool case shelves (all under the work benches), 4 small shelves next to the drill press for it's stuff, and 3 misc stuff shelves.

Upstairs of the working level is 600s.f. of parts storage, and down below the working level there is another 600sf of heavy parts storage. Both of those levels are in dire need of organizing, cleaning, and shelves.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 26196
Send a message via Yahoo to ibrocun
This was one of my first projects when I got my welder. Frame is 2 x 2 angle, and the sides are aluminum diamond plate.

pretty easy and relatively cheap.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2004, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
No comment

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
nice cabniet
camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 28084
pegboard works good for hanging stuff

save some effort and buy the white stuff, no painting and better light

I just tore down 2 walls of celotex to insulate and put up pegboard
I would have done the third but it has to be firecode drywall cause its next to living space.
K2Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2967
I built a loft in my shop and im currently working on building shelving units. Its just going to be for parts or shit thats not going to get much use. I just took a 12x20 area and made a bunch of isle's 36" apart, 24" deep shelves with access on either side. Below that is the room for my compressors tools and other stuff that needs to be kept out of the shop dust ect.

Been a long road to get it outfitted like I want. been about 18 months now ive just been working on interior stuff. Had the living quarters done way before then.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
GJC

Member # 26181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrocun
This was one of my first projects when I got my welder. Frame is 2 x 2 angle, and the sides are aluminum diamond plate.

pretty easy and relatively cheap.
Very nice
GJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 6957
i've used old file cabinets there self contained and take up little space and you can find them relatively cheap at garage and estate sales. also do you have any friends that are contractors. my uncle mike is in commercial construction and they did a demo on an medical center the building was converted to regular offices. so the ripped out all the cabinets out. we are talking 3/4" laminent mdf w/ stainless handles and such and what did they do with these stuff. well my uncle knew my dad was looking for cabinets so its in his garage. but normally if the guys on the crew don't want it it goes in the dumpster its cheaper for them to trash it then sit on it and try to sell.
ironpig70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 11799
I helped dismantle and dispose of 2 of these systems in my career as a computer geek. One time we replaced medical records with electronic forms, and in another we took over another building and displaced a doctor's office.

These are definitely heavy enough to support lots of parts. High-density documents are extremely heavy, basically like filling the shelves iwth solid wood. So they can hold lots of stuff.

The roll smooth and are easy. Only problem is most of them take up like 15'x15' or thereabouts.

I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for another opportunity for these.
Attached Images

rusted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2192
Hmmm.. I like this idea! This could be worked into many diffrent set-ups!!

Firefyter_Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 04:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 8211
I knew this thread was in here somewhere, just had to find it.

I just finished my "storage" project. Having a very small shop, it's always been a mess due to having no place to "put stuff" Especially my pile of 20' sticks of steel. So I built these. Shelves, feed table, steel racks, and more electrical outlets with lights to be added eventually...

More pics and info here, don't feel like typing it all in again...
More stuff on the shelves

It's amazing what a difference it made in my shop! I've now got plenty of floor space to move around and work in the shop. The truggy will never fit, but at least I've got more shop available.

I'm currently working on a roll around sheet steel and "short" storage rack (that will also hold some plywood, expanded metal, etc.). That way I can push it over out of the way, even if it blocks shelves with "long term" and rarely used storage items, then move it if I need to get back behind it. Should make things even better by allowing me to put shelves, peg board, and "hangers" on the back wall.

85 K30 truggy, 350 TBI, TH350, 203/205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 42" TSLs, 4" lift, 112" wheel base, front leafs, rear double triangulated 4 link with coils.
BadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 11425
Pharmacy counters

i used to work for Eckerd Drug. the store i was at remodeled and i took 2 sections of counter home. heavy fuckers, 3/4 and 1" particle board and laminate. heavy drawer runners, some 3-foot wide drawers, or 1/2 that, depending, some 1/2 drawers (open at the top, so you can see inside), some with doors, some with shelves, etc.