Remote 220v switch & light for compressor - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2004, 05:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2192
Remote 220v switch & light for compressor

Kinda off subject of the compressor thread, so I will ask here.. My compressor is mounted in my cellar, My garage is about 25x25 attached. I have temporaly run the compressor into the garage and will hard plum it soon. My question here is I want to add a switch in the garage to turn it on/off but I would like a light to let me know it is on. (I can not hear it in the garage all) I know if it was 120V it would be a cake walk.. But what about 220V ?? I could cheat and use 2- 120V switches with lights and bridge the toggle switches like a circut breaker.. But is there a better switch that has a light made for 220V ??? I don't really want to add a "light socket" But I suppose I could just branch one off one side of the 120V line.. The switch has to be 30amp as well. I really do not like to have to run up & down the cellar to turn it off.
Firefyter_Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 05:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 18989
Use a relay to switch the 220 volts. You can get a relay with a 120 volt coil. Then, you can use a 120 volt switch and light to control the setup.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Send a message via AIM to steveh
I'd set up a low voltage control circuit. IE, I'd get a 24VAC coil 2-pole Contactor, A 110V-24vac Transformer, and some control wire, 18 to 22 gauge depending on the distance.

Put the Contactor near the compressor, feed the 240v in, and hook the comp up to the Normally open contacts. Install the transformer in the garage on a 110 circuit. Get a 24vac-indicator lamp, and a light switch. Run one leg of the control wire through the switch, and one leg of the light, and the other direct to the Contactor coil and the other side of the light. Or run the 24vac side of the transformer direct to comp and light, and hook the 110 side up to a switch and turn the whole thing on and off.

The advantage is this type of control circuit is low voltage, and extremely low amps, definitely less than 1 amp is possible. Plus the wire is easy to run, very similar to sprinkler system wire (Which could be used)
Rubicon Trail Foundation
"Wow this is unbelievable"
10th Anniversary Cantina For the 'Con 2014
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote