Miller or Lincoln? help me decide... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Shop and Tools
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2004, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 31695
Miller or Lincoln? help me decide...

I was set on buying a Miller 210 until I found this deal on a Lincoln 215 power mig. They are almost the same price.

Lincoln 215

Miller 210
dozer dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 32492
I'd never buy a lincoln again due to terrible customer service. Go with miller.......the internal components are much much better and its built better. Millers parts are also easily purchased and most of the time in stock.
Cannon Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2004, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 32250
I personally haven't had any problems with Lincoln but I've never own'd one. I can tell you that Millers are great though and I'd recomend that over any other. The 210 is a good size to get. Capable yet not to damn expesive.

If at all posible, try not to roll your Daily Driver!
coupleaxjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 11894
we bought our miller 210 at christmas and it has tackled every job we have thrown at it. i cant imagine ever needing to upgrade. it also hasnt given us a bit of trouble since we got it. i havent used a lincoln but i dont think you could go wrong with the miller

also its cheaper; seems like a no brainer

Last edited by rokdog03; 07-05-2004 at 03:20 PM. Reason: forgot something
rokdog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 10462
I've used both brands, my .02 would get a Miller. Parts for me are more accessible around here and I've had really good experience with their customer service.
AthlonAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 28273
I've never had a problem with my Miller, I have had my Plasma cutter in to be serviced, the local Miller reps are great. Very knowledgable.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 31695
Thanks for the input. Guess I will go with blue.

That Lincoln really seems like a good deal though. A little more pwr and a few extra bells and wistles at almost the same price. I suppose better to buy quality first.
dozer dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 32766
Send a message via AIM to MattyL13
i have a little Hobart here at home and i like it for how small it is, (only a 110v) it lays a real nice bead even on 5/16 with two passes. at school our shop is set up with a few AIRCO's i also like them, theyre beat to hell and have not been maintained very well but still lay a good bead. i also love ESAB

Lord

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty, to the optimist, half full, to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

00 TJ. 318, NV4500HD, 231, 44 locked on 35's. Work in progress
MattyL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
RFB

Member # 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer dude
Thanks for the input. Guess I will go with blue.

That Lincoln really seems like a good deal though. A little more pwr and a few extra bells and wistles at almost the same price. I suppose better to buy quality first.
Had to buy 2 new migs for our shop a couple years ago. The local welding shop has both Lincoln and Miller and after seeing them side by side, I went with the Lincoln, got a 215 and a 255. The design of the wire drive sold me on the Lincoln, beefy and in line with the wire comming off the spool (if you look close, the mig connector comming out of the front of the machine is pointing toward the floor) Haven't had any problems with either welder in 4 years of daily use. IMHO
Old 07-06-2004, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 4830
In my shop there are two extremley talented fabricators. We just bought a brand new Lincoln 250.

They both will use the 12 year old Hobart 250 when ever possible.

Take it how you want.

beerman
HeyBeerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 8174
Send a message via MSN to Bill4rest
Miller= Made in USA

Lincoln= Made in Mexico

BTW I have a Miller 210 and love it
Bill4rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 587
I went for the Lincoln because of the great finance rates. 1.9% at the time. Another year and it is paid off

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/produ...comparison.asp
Old 07-07-2004, 04:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
pimping sparks&smoke

Member # 444
I use both Lincoln & Miller exclusively , and I will tell you that Lincolns' service just straight sucks.

I had a procut (Lincoln) 55 machine die on me it took two fawking months to get it back!!!! WTF I was of course pissed off for sure. Now my dealer (airgas NCN) let me use a brand new machine off of the floor till mine came back otherwise I would have had to buy another - fawking lincoln.
Also if you look at my Ready Welder thread you will see I ordered parts to convert the front end pieces to a flux core type ceramic set up which just happens to use lincoln parts it took ATLEAST a month to get the parts again WTF.............I will NEVER EVER buy lincoln again as I cannot afford to own machines that take forever to get the parts to fix!

Now Miller on the other hand....
I had a engine driven welder fail , and it went back to the repair facility (not owned by Miller) , and they had it for two weeks (my breaking point) , and then I decided I am going straight to Miller..........within less than 24 hours I had a brand new machine on my truck!!!! Come awn now thats keeping the welder in business!!! Miller is the king no doubt.

It is unfortunate that Lincoln seems not to care as I do like their products but like I have already said with service like that I have received could make me lose alot of money. Its difficult enough of a game as it is already , add in shitty , slow service forget it.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 21871
MILLER 210 All the Way! Love it.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 8293
Send a message via AIM to chumly2071 Send a message via Yahoo to chumly2071
I deal a lot with my local supplpy house, and they recommend Miller hands down, because of the good customer service. They HATE dealing with lincoln because theirs is SO BAD.... I have a miller 210, and the only thing that will replace it is a 251 or new 350.
chumly2071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 32248
I thought the Millermatic 210 had the better "build" than the Lincoln:

------------------------------from arcdawg
miller makes good quality machines as does lincoln, i have run lincoln migs, miller migs, miller tigs and lincoln tigs... i have only ever run miller engine drives and i think that they are very good machines, and as far as lincoln goes (my opinion) is that they cut corners with the build quality of their machines. where when i run any miller machine i feel that it wont let me down, built tougher but miller is defentily loosing out ie that new 185 tig that lincoln has...... and the POWERMIG 300 IS A WELDERS DREAM....IF I ONLY HAD THE $$$$$$$$$$$
------------------------------

I just got this in from another BBS:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
dont get the 210...after looking at welders for a while, welding for a while, and going to buy a welder today....get the lincoln 210. it is build more sturdy than the miller, the auto wire feed for starting new spools is sick, and the internals a really ruged. also, the angle of the gun cable output from inside the welder is at an angle..not straight out..this helps put less stress on the cable and the internals of that cable thus giving ita longer life. go to a welding shop and look at the differences. it is actually pretty big. everything on the lincoln is just build stronger/better. as far as duty cycles..unless u are welding with it all day everyday at really high settings(u probably wont unless its for a welding buisness and the material is pretty thick) then you wont exceed the duty cycle on either one.
--------------

If you want zero down-time, go with the Miller (outstanding customer service).

Otherwise, you might want to take a risk with the Lincoln
byen00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 31697
Miller service seems usable to me. Didn't have to use CS with my little Lincoln though.

Both are good in my opinion.

Check out my experience.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/...5&pagenumber=2

WW
stihl036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 04:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 3984
Send a message via ICQ to BootsntheJeep Send a message via AIM to BootsntheJeep
At the metal shop I work at, we have all miller machines. The sheet metal side has two or three 185s, in the frame shop we use 250s and a couple brand new 251s. We have one AirCo that I really like welding with, its older than dirt but it lays a gorgeous bead and for some reason I can weld beautiful overhead with it all the time. We have an ESAB plasma cutter and a huge Thermal Dynamics plasma that will pierce 7/8" plate. But we're definetly a Miller shop.

And when I decided I had to have a welder for home, I bought a little 175. Very pleased with it. Miller from here on out, hands down.

Boots

[QUOTE=Rizon]i dont care if your typing with your fucking feet, that is the poorest grammer i have ever seen from someone who lives in an english speaking country.[/QUOTE]
BootsntheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 3554
About the made in "mexico" thing, for a fact the Lincoln Powermig 215/255/300, invertec 350/PT275 are made/assembled in Cleveland! I did not ask about other machines in Lincolns line-up.

I suggest that even though Lincoln choose's not to capitalize on the 'flag' like Miller- open up a MM251 & PM255. Start looking around at countrys of origin of the inards, oh start at the 'on/off' switch, you may be suprised at what "made in USA" means.

Which ever way you go- look at the 'amps-for-$$' ratio.

If Lincoln is so chintzy, then why do they give you a female outlet to match the machines male plug?
planet x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 05:51 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 15281
For where Miller is made check out this link from the Hobart Board. But to be honest my next welder is going to be Miller of Esab.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/...ighlight=china
James_Fendley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:24 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 14256
thanks for starting this thread ! more questions !

I'm looking for that all around mig welder that does beautifull welds and can easily tackle overhead and down hill welding either new or old technology (with two reels) for both aluminum and stainless/mild steel ....with push/pull drive system ...tired of bird nests/changing spools/re-setting tenisions/changing gase bottles...an early airco model was mentioned ..anyone try the MM pulser?